PDA

View Full Version : WIP

Collin
February 27th, 2010, 21:51
Ok you guys (and maybe some girls).

Post you work in progress here, so the rest of us can get jealous.

Let us know what CAD you are using and the problems you have or overcome, and for what sim.

regards Collin:ernae:

Collin
February 27th, 2010, 22:41
Using FSDS2.4
for CFS2
PSP7 for textures

I started this model several years ago and have scrapped various versions since.

The problem has always been the sheer on the bow and the recessed anchor ports, as these are round with a flat top end going to a recessed dip off centre.
Version 25 I thought I had managed it, but they proved to be overly large when viewed in the sim.

By version 34, and now suffering hairloss , drink addiction and a short temper. I manage to get someway near but this was using a 47 point tube to make the hull:isadizzy: But it showed the way I could go.

Now using a 25 point tube to make the hull and a 13 point tube to make the recesses, I think I'm getting there.

By using different smoothing groups I can represent the plating

Collin
February 27th, 2010, 22:58
Last night I manage to get the hull sheer nigh on correct for the bow. A deck-edge has been added to the hull to give it that 'lip' look and will help conceal any deck texture problems encountered.

and the armour bulge has been worked in to the hull via the hull tube and not as in previous versions as an additional part.

The hull has been left intact for the moment as it can be used again by stretching it 50' to make a "Lion" class battleship, superstructure will remain the same, only the main and secondary armament have to be changed.

Ravenna
February 28th, 2010, 02:49
Lost for words!:applause::applause::applause::applause::app lause::applause:

PSULLYKEYS
March 1st, 2010, 02:36
Vanguard is looking good!!:applause:

Well, can't possibly compete with Sea Lord Collin, but here are a few at my dock.:running:

Collin
March 1st, 2010, 08:12
They are both very good Sully, just what cfs2 needs.:salute::icon29:

X_eidos2
March 1st, 2010, 09:06
Here are some updates on the HMS Drake.

I went ahead and made the anchor state an animation instead of two different visibility states. Seems the sim wouldn't recognize the ship being in a "parked" state. I used the "spoiler" animation because you can give it a really long playback time by making an edit in the cfg file. When you press the "spoiler" key "/" the boat booms swing down and out, 3 anchors drop and 4 boats lower and move into position under the booms. Doesn't look perfect running backwards, but it's acceptable.

When I tried to attach an explosion effect to the end of the gun barrel to simulate the firing of a gun, I could get the effect to play properly once, but when I tried to have the effect play a second time, the sound refused to play. The effect would play properly if the effect was located using a light in the cfg file, but that method meant the effect would only play in a specific location. Since I couldn't get the effect to follow the barrel, I had the barrel follow the effect by creating an "AIM" animation. So when the player presses the starboard salvo AIM button, all the guns move into proper position, then when the fire button is pressed, the effects go off and they're in the proper position.

There seems to be a limit to the number of light effects that can be listed in the cfg file.

The next step is to develop an AI version so that a model can be sailed using AIcarriers2. That will require developing a custom effect that has both wake and smoke.

Collin
March 1st, 2010, 11:22
X eidos,:salute:

could you not use a smoke belch for the gun effect instead of a light?:kilroy:

X_eidos2
March 1st, 2010, 13:16
There doesn't seem to be as many options when using an effect triggered by the smoke key. They all go on or off at the same time. The lights however have ten different types that you can play with. In this model the smoke effect for the 4 stacks is using the "I" key.

While the cannon effect is triggered by switches linked to various lights, (logo, panel, and strobe), the effect that is triggered is a combination of flash, smoke and boom.

One of the hazards of linking the cannon blasts to a light trigger, is that pressing the "L" key fires off all three salvos at the same time.:isadizzy: There is a switch for the navigation lights in the 2d bridge panel that allows a person to avoid this blast, but I don't think many will pay attention to the instructions in the readme file.

I hope to make a short YouTube video to demonstrate the different effects.

PSULLYKEYS
March 1st, 2010, 15:03
Great looking vessel X_eidos2! :medals:

A player version then. What sim is it for?

X_eidos2
March 1st, 2010, 16:07
The HMS Drake will be FSX - pilotable and AI versions. The gmax sources files have been put up on TurboSquid. I have also put up a copy in 3ds file format as well.

I just finished making the custom wake and smoke effect for the AI version, so the only thing left on the to-do list is to write up the documentation.

Hopefully the SOH will re-open the download section soon.

Skipsan
March 1st, 2010, 17:18
Really great work Sully :applause::applause::applause: She is Loooking gooood :icon_lol:

Everyone please note x_eidos2 has small craft in the water/along side while the ship is at her moorings :pop4:

Thank you Collin for the heads up on Sully's new web page :jump:

Skipsan :kilroy:

Bill Kestell
March 1st, 2010, 17:28
Collin ... nice to see some headway. Walays room for one more, you know!:icon_lol:

X_eidos2
March 1st, 2010, 20:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=421aSYwDpKQ

Collin
March 1st, 2010, 23:10
Everyone please note x_eidos2 has small craft in the water/along side while the ship is at her moorings :pop4:

Yep, so has the Repose in the moored version, and you can still land on her. She was to be featured in a Fox 4 MASH campaign but the idea fell through.

Collin
March 1st, 2010, 23:13
Fabulous work and video X_eidos2, luv the sound effects as well.

Have you any plans to make any internal modelling for her?

Collin
March 3rd, 2010, 01:49
Started to texture and make the superstructure, now the poly count stands at 2256.

PSULLYKEYS
March 4th, 2010, 08:26
Great work Collin!:applause:

X Eidos2: Excellent model and animations!:applause: Any chance a CFS2 multi res version is possible? Many conversions lose their virtual cockpit and animations.

There are never enough ships to play with!

A Norwegian fishing version of the "Excellent" trawler now undergoing tests.

Collin
March 4th, 2010, 10:25
On another slipway SS Ohio is coming along...

CrisGer
March 7th, 2010, 10:21
X Edios, wonderful work on that RN AC, it is just amazing and a great addition to the virtual fleet. thanks for doing all that, she is really jolly good.

I am glad to see she comes with crew.

Collin
March 7th, 2010, 18:43
Well Ohio is now at the DP fitting out yard, and will be available quite soon.

X_eidos2
March 7th, 2010, 19:59
Where in the world did you find any plans on the SS Ohio? Ever since I read the book, "Malta Convoy" I've been putting together the pieces to make a flight sim video of the ship and it's role in Operation Pedestal. The only thing I've been able to find was some small pictures of a model that Texaco put out several years ago.

Fantastic work.

X_eidos2
March 7th, 2010, 20:10
I don't have any immediate plans on working up any more detail for the internal model. After making the USS Monterey for the SkyUnlimited Productions Texans vol2 release, I know how much work is involved on getting the details in. I know the vc is kinda empty but I had to budget my time and this was the best I could do.

I don't have any experience in building for CFS2. The model is currently in gmax. I put copies of the source files up for sale on TurboSquid in gmax, obj and 3dmax. If anyone wants a copy in 3ds or dxf for import into FSDS, please send me a PM and I'll see what can be done.

Collin
March 8th, 2010, 00:48
Where in the world did you find any plans on the SS Ohio? Ever since I read the book, "Malta Convoy" I've been putting together the pieces to make a flight sim video of the ship and it's role in Operation Pedestal. The only thing I've been able to find was some small pictures of a model that Texaco put out several years ago.

Fantastic work.

The plans are a bit of a cheat.

There are no plans of her available, but her class were the base for the USN oilers at a later date. Though these were expounded for refueling at sea and some other modifications. The basic hull shape and dimensions remained very similar, the fittings were gleaned from the photos available on the internet and the knowledge that after her arrival in Britain (when we purloined her from Texaco) she went into the shipbuilders yard and was modified with guns and some shrapnel mats around the bridge front. The upper open bridge with binnacle was removed with 20mm's added around the radio shack and she was painted overall home fleet medium grey (507b 1940). A further 2 guns were added by using army bofors but their placement is unknown, (the remainder of the army battery was delegated to the light cruisers Kenya, Manchester) the army personnel remained onboard to man the guns while the American crew were sent home and replaced by British merchant seaman.

So the model itself is a mutt, cobbled together by the above plus some wishful guesswork. Her dp should reflect the difficulty the Axis had in trying to sink her and with a tough AAA. The next model of her will show her as she was on the 11th August with her decks awash, minimum AAA and less life points in the damage boxes with a suitable amount of parts rendered remodeled to show damage or actually missing and texture redone to show fire damage.

First phase is to lower the entire model to get the deck awash effect, then some of the parts will be bent etc or deleted or just moved to show some damage.

at the moment she is 4600ish polys

regards Collin

Collin
March 8th, 2010, 06:34
Damage texture nearly done and have started to abuse the funnel:icon_lol:

Skipsan
March 8th, 2010, 08:02
Oh Collin you shouldn't of love :icon_lol:

Collin
March 8th, 2010, 08:09
Oh Collin you shouldn't of love :icon_lol:

If I don't do it the Toronto Trollop will:173go1::icon_lol:

X_eidos2
March 8th, 2010, 10:50
Maybe I should scrounge around and see if I can find my low-poly Stuka somewhere so you can scatter the bits in the area just in front of the bridge.

Amazing

Collin
March 8th, 2010, 16:47
Maybe I should scrounge around and see if I can find my low-poly Stuka somewhere so you can scatter the bits in the area just in front of the bridge.

Amazing

Now there's an idea! Though I think most of it got thrown over the side.:engel016:

C

CrisGer
March 9th, 2010, 09:32
I found a site on line by one of the lads who was a gunner on the Ohio, he was actually blown overboard by one of the explosions, and picked up a day later with some of his mates. He had some pics but i dont think any showed the gun locations, ....but there is one ariel shot of the ship in Malta harbour that may show shed some light on the gun locations.

Nice work on that Jeep Carrier btw. :)

http://www.skyunlimited.net/texans_vol2.htm

wahoo
March 9th, 2010, 15:37
Collin, OHIO Project is looking great. Question , what data do you alter and where ( Dp file , ship cfg file, etc. ? ) to vary a ships entire model level to get " the deck awash effect" ? Thanks in advance, Wahoo.

Collin
March 9th, 2010, 17:09
Collin, OHIO Project is looking great. Question , what data do you alter and where ( Dp file , ship cfg file, etc. ? ) to vary a ships entire model level to get " the deck awash effect" ? Thanks in advance, Wahoo.

Select all the parts in the fsds file and lower them down to the level I want......simples.

I'am now abusing the parts to reshape them to show damage and a different texture bmp has been added.

X_eidos2
March 9th, 2010, 17:43
Here are the two Stuka models that I've got stored away in my archives. They're about 12 years old. Maybe you could mash them up a bit. I seem to remember reading that a few of the crew from the destroyers that were lashed up with the Ohio went aboard the Ohio and helped themselves to bits of the Stuka for souvenirs.

Collin
March 10th, 2010, 02:25
Damaged Ohio trials are now proceeding...

Pay no attention to the wake effects, these will be deleted from the dp and the guns will be reduced to 1 on the aft superstructure just behind whats left of the ventilators.

I luv messing this model up...its been a bitch from start to finish..breaking it has been nearly as good as going on a poly jehad.:icon_lol::jump:

Skipsan
March 10th, 2010, 07:54
Looking good kid:applause::applause::applause:

Dirtman
March 11th, 2010, 07:20
Yo LongJock;

I done what you said .... blowed her up .... REAL GOOD!!
Check yer email fer my full report.

GREAT work Bro! ... yer screenshots don't show the nice oil-slick she starts trailing.

But where the hell did ya get her gunners? .... from the "Luke Skywalker Lazar Gun Academy" ????

Actually it was more intense than I had expected but with standard evasion tactics avoided most of it.

She's a tough little ship too .... took 5 torps to get the job done.

.............. 1961

Collin
March 11th, 2010, 07:31
Thanks Dirtman, did Tom send you the damaged version as well?

Dirtman
March 11th, 2010, 07:45
Thanks Dirtman, did Tom send you the damaged version as well?

NO!! .... 1962

You's guys are sooo mean to me!

Collin
March 11th, 2010, 13:11
NO!! .... 1962

You's guys are sooo mean to me!

Well yer got it now you old trollop so shut up an get on with it:violent:

Dirtman
March 12th, 2010, 08:03
Well yer got it now you old trollop so shut up an get on with it:violent:
Alright already, you Romford Rummy! 2016

Only took 3 torps ta sink the damage model - I used the regular ones; not Tango's new fish.

Then I started bombing the snot out of her with 1000lb-ers
Gave up after 9 direct hits ..... couldn't sink the bitch! 2018

X_eidos2
March 13th, 2010, 05:30
Gave up after 9 direct hits ..... couldn't sink the bitch!

Funny - I think that's exactly what the Germans and Italians said as well.

Collin
March 13th, 2010, 10:35
The petrol was in the destroyers...the tanker was filled with styrofoam and was a summat for the enemy to aim at.:rolleyes::jump:

Collin
March 15th, 2010, 15:35
With the launch of the Ohio some of the workforce at the 'ole shipyard has been freed up. Supplies of armour-plate have been delivered and work has once again resumed on the Vanguard.

The secondary armament of 5.25's has been installed along with their mounts. Problem was the turrets are mk2's and differ from those made for the KGV and Dido class in their shape. Finding any kind of plan of these was difficult, so back to the model of her in the Science Museum and the ships plans from Sambrooks plus various photo's.

Tried to make them out of one tube along Y axis, but the poly for the roof wouldn't respond to the reshaping of the points, same for several other polys near the barrels. So various primitive shapes had to be used and I ended up with about 330 polys per turret and barrels with 1 glass poly for the observers position (though you have to get real close to see it).

PSULLYKEYS
March 15th, 2010, 15:58
Lookin' Good Collin!!!

Skipsan
March 15th, 2010, 19:56
Very impressive Collin! The tapered gun barrels are quit interesting.

Skipsan

crashaz
March 15th, 2010, 22:06
Nice to see Ye Ol Shipyard working wonders again!!

CG_1976
March 15th, 2010, 22:47
Alright already, you Romford Rummy! 2016

Only took 3 torps ta sink the damage model - I used the regular ones; not Tango's new fish.

Then I started bombing the snot out of her with 1000lb-ers
Gave up after 9 direct hits ..... couldn't sink the bitch! 2018

Sounds like ye ole trollop is in a destructive mode. Sink another for Canada. I got grog for you waiting at Wild Cats up here.

crashaz
March 16th, 2010, 14:49
LOL!

Next time I build a ship with a damage model.... it's going to run up a flag and say

":a1310: Dirtman... ya missed eh!"

:d

Collin
March 18th, 2010, 09:29
Main Turrets

I scrapped the old ones and after 4 attempts with primitive tubes I went back to the drawing board. With several books in hand I decided to build them like the originals on the ship with boxes depicting the side plates. Viewing several photo's in books like

HMS Vanguard, by Neil McCart,
Naval Weapons, by J Campbell,
To Sail No More part 7, by Steve Bush.

I managed to reason out how they were done. Once made I went on a poly hunt and deleted those not seen then joined them together to form the turret sides. The roof came next and this was made from about five 4 sided tubes, again a poly hunt followed and the roof parts joined. Turret sides and roof were textured seperately and then joined with the axis repositioned.

There are a few errant polys and points that don't wish to co-operate, but the workforce battered most of them into submission, :a1089:those remaining, don't seem to alter the appearance and have been left alone.

Now for the barrels...

These are made from a 12 sided tube, with about 12 cross sections. Some to taper the shape of the barrel, some so that the polys between the sections could be textured differently.

Turret and barrels were joined, and have a total of 449 polys for each turret.:jump:

There's a few remaining parts to be made for the turrets which will be added later.

PSULLYKEYS
March 18th, 2010, 18:06
Lookin' fine Collin!

My 86' wood drifter is up at my site - 2 skins, enjoy. An unarmed one is in the works.:wiggle:

Skipsan
March 18th, 2010, 20:00
Sully's Drifter's are Great! From what I can discern the 86 foot'er was classified as a "Non-Standard Drifter" size 86"x19'x9'8" + or - a few inches. Armament WWI to about 1942 1 6 prd or 4" naval gun, 5 Lee Enfild MkIII rifles and 3 pistols. Around about 42 some Drifters had there main gun upgraded to a 12 prd HA and from the gist of my readings a couple of mg's for better AA defense.:bump::bump:

When I see great looking ship the devil makes me do this :wiggle:

PS: The names of 4 Drifter's I found are "Midnight Sun, Nadir, Nightfall & Ray".

PSULLYKEYS
March 20th, 2010, 08:00
Have fun with it Skip, the shipyards humming when real life doesn't interfere!:bump:

yeppers
March 31st, 2010, 10:23
Just wanted to say thanks for the shipyard and the foxfour pages, both have added huge amounts of depth to my CFS2 missions.

Love the new transports and updated jeep carriers btw. Excellent stuff, cant wait to see more!

PSULLYKEYS
April 13th, 2010, 16:00
Still working on 2 more, here's progress...:running:

Skipsan
April 14th, 2010, 07:21
Sully take a look see at the web pages, rummage around there is lots of things/information and just fun:
1.http://www.allstates-flag.com//fotw/flags/no~ntsh.html (http://www.allstates-flag.com//fotw/flags/no~ntsh.html)
2.http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/U....html#contents (http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/UK-NWE-Norway/index.html#contents)
3.http://www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk/index.html (http://www.mountfleetmodels.co.uk/index.html)
4.http://www.bodangora.com/sds/sds.html (http://www.bodangora.com/sds/sds.html)
5.http://www.gwpda.org/naval/atrawler.htm (http://www.gwpda.org/naval/atrawler.htm)
"CLICK" ON #5 FIRST, then <>on click here this leads to a on line book with really good stuff "FYI" IF YOU <> ON [return to WWI The Maritime War] or: http://www.gwpda.org/naval/n0000000.htm (http://www.gwpda.org/naval/n0000000.htm) one can get some rigging details etc.
And "#3" has great modeling details great eye candy sight.
6.http://www.antiquesofthesea.com/deckgear.html (http://www.antiquesofthesea.com/deckgear.html)
#6. has lots of stuff page 28 has an pilot house window that opens how would of known.

PSULLYKEYS
April 17th, 2010, 08:27
Thanks, All great stuff Skip, so little time!:running:

PSULLYKEYS
April 25th, 2010, 20:02
Seen on a shakedown cruise in the Black Sea...:kilroy:

Skipsan
April 26th, 2010, 08:37
OH! Sully woun-der-bar :applause::applause: Waiting with dribble running down my joules :jump::jump:

PSULLYKEYS
May 2nd, 2010, 06:42
She's up at my site...enjoy!:wavey:

Skipsan
May 2nd, 2010, 07:47
Roger, Dodger 10-4 over and out :salute::salute::salute: On the Way over :jump:

Skipsan
May 8th, 2010, 09:55
Well Sully I'm at it again. After that conversation in the form about gunnery dp dice values i.e. points I adjusted the dp's. [I truly hope you do not mined]

can only post 4 attachments at a time:wiggle: More to come:jump:

Skipsan:kilroy:

PS Forgot delet the shn- and .txt open up and read the headers and your good to go!

Skipsan
May 8th, 2010, 10:29
Second installment: The Dark Lord "he how shall not be named", having a fetish for flak well enjoy the russsky dp. Sully I did not know if you modeled the twin mg as M2BMG's or as DShKM-2 twin open mount machine guns. So I when with the DShKM-2 being the early class of ship.

Skipsan:kilroy:

PS 2 more dp's to come

PSULLYKEYS
May 8th, 2010, 13:38
Thanks Skip! A lot of good work here. When you get them where you want them, let me know and I'll put them up at my site.

My source indicated 2X2 and 2X1 12.7mm machine guns. Its in cyrillic, so not sure of manufacturer. I made the DP 1X2 twice, although I modeled the dual mounts. To save frame rates, I simplified them. Its choosing between perfectly modeled unusable ships and good models that can be used, kinda like walking a tightrope!

Skipsan
May 9th, 2010, 09:13
Final "dp" installment for Sully's Flt. :salute:
First thing's first: PSK_ru7dd.dp needs a corrections to [Gun.2] we have to turn on the tracers. You can do a cut-n-past or just change the "0" to a "1" [number next to ,3000

[guns.2]
; 12.7mm/79 (0.5") DShK MG
gun.0=2500,0,0,1.622,0,0,1,3000

And the final 2 attachments for the fleet. All are good to go. Please enjoy:wiggle:

P.S. Oh! IF you would prefer an .45 cal M1911 to revolver then cut-n-past this into the
NW_Trawler adj dp mod .45 cal M1911:

; 11.25 m/m (.45 ACP) AUT. PISTOL M/1914 "Norwegian factory Kongsberg Vaapenfabrikk"

[GUNSTATIONS]
; 11.25 m/m (.45 ACP) AUT. PISTOL M/1914_gun0
gunstation.0=0,-52,1,0.19,244,0.2,0.01,46,0,0,1d1*5,3,6.5,-7,-90,0,0,0,0,75,-10,0.0.53

[guns.0]
; 11.25 m/m (.45 ACP) AUT. PISTOL M/1914
gun.0=21,0,0,0,0,0,1,50

I liked the revolver after researching them both.