Shenmue - $70 million
Too Human - $60 million+
Metal Gear Solid 4 - $60 million
Halo 3 - $55 million
APB - $50 million
L.A. Noire - $50 million
Final Fantasy XII - $48 million
Killzone 2 - $45 million

And not a single one has entered our home.

AckAck
February 27th, 2010, 10:46
It does seem strange that none of them, or their predecessors, has made it across our threshold either...

Brian

cheezyflier
February 27th, 2010, 10:52
i was just going to say the same :icon_lol:

GT182
February 27th, 2010, 11:59
And not a single one has entered our home.

Nor mine. Nothing there that interests me..... at all. ;)

OBIO
February 27th, 2010, 12:13
Gee, I thought I had to be a weird person for not having any interest in any of those games...but I guess I'm normal...either that or I tend to hang out with weird people.

Those games are more inline with slacker gamer types.

OBIO

GT182
February 27th, 2010, 12:38
...either that or I tend to hang out with weird people.
OBIO

Oh thanks! Now yer calling the rest of us weird?

djscoo
February 27th, 2010, 12:52

OBIO

Flightsim snobbery much?:icon_lol:

I own two of the games on the list, and if I had a PS3, I'd be getting Gran Turismo 5 as soon as it came out. Most of the other games aren't out yet, and some of the one that are out were just bad.

Quixoticish
February 27th, 2010, 13:31
GTA IV is, well, pretty much like the rest of the GTA series. Incredibly fun and enjoyable games to play, very tongue in cheek and highly recommended.

The others really aren't my cup of tea though.

Odie
February 27th, 2010, 13:53
I tend to stick with the FPS type games when not flightsimming...in the style of Doom, Doom 2. Something where you can jump in a do a couple of levels and kill monsters ! Not too heavy in the puzzles or in-game story....alas, I am a simple man ! :icon_lol:

Lionheart
February 27th, 2010, 13:56
I have none either, but I would sure like to get Grand Turismo.

100 million... man.. I could get a couple of new shirts with that much..

:d

Lewis-A2A
February 27th, 2010, 14:03
most interesting list, esp since COD is not on it.

I' like to see the dev costs of MW against sales, MW2 esp has been soooooo big.

Willy
February 27th, 2010, 14:08
None of those are at my house either. The only game that I play is Pirates! and the rest are flight sims.

Allen
February 27th, 2010, 14:38
The only one I own on the list is Halo 3. However I call BS on the list. Duke Nukem Forever is the most expensive game. *Dev 1997–2010 never finished* Maybe it was not on the list becouse it was not finished. Starcraft 2 will be in the top 3 when its finished, if ever too....

djscoo
February 27th, 2010, 14:58
GTA IV is, well, pretty much like the rest of the GTA series. Incredibly fun and enjoyable games to play, very tongue in cheek and highly recommended.

The others really aren't my cup of tea though.

Yeah, the production costs are evident in the final product. The music, talk radio, tv, people on the street, internet, everything makes it so immersive and entertaining (The talk radio is arguably my favorite part of the whole game). The whole game is like a giant satire on American culture. I just downloaded the new expansion pack and have been playing that for a week or so.

harleyman
February 27th, 2010, 15:27
My girls have the racing games......

they completely whoop my butt too...lol

Ken Stallings
February 27th, 2010, 16:16
Remember the reason why Microsoft fired their PC games department? They said it was too expensive to produce these games for PC. Combined with the myriad of configuration options and the numerous customer issues it caused, this list might validate Microsoft's decision.

I still hope someone picks up the pieces and makes another Flight Simulator for PC.

Ken

cheezyflier
February 27th, 2010, 17:59
Remember the reason why Microsoft fired their PC games department? They said it was too expensive to produce these games for PC. Combined with the myriad of configuration options and the numerous customer issues it caused, this list might validate Microsoft's decision.

I still hope someone picks up the pieces and makes another Flight Simulator for PC.

Ken

interesting...i sure hope they didn't spend big bucks on the music! :icon_lol:

in all seriousness though, i know nothing about writing code but it did seem as though there were an unusual amount of problems with fsx when it was initially released. microsoft is notorious for using the end user for product development. i always guessed that this one time they took that theme a little farther than they mebbe should have. of course their decision to close it, is in no way going to be popular with this crowd. (myself included)

i don't know if they made a good decision or not, business-wise. i just regret that the decision they made was to end flight simulation in it's current form. they're not out of the flight sim business yet though. watch and see. they're just taking it in a different direction.

Bjoern
February 27th, 2010, 18:50
Meh, console games only...well, except GTA4 which could've been ported way better to PC 'though.

Also, expensive doesn't necessarily mean good. Even if CoD:MW2 costs fourty million or more, it's still a crappy game. The best thing about it was the cleverly done credits.

djscoo
February 27th, 2010, 19:22
Meh, console games only...well, except GTA4 which could've been ported way better to PC 'though.

Also, expensive doesn't necessarily mean good. Even if CoD:MW2 costs fourty million or more, it's still a crappy game. The best thing about it was the cleverly done credits.

I played the MW2 campaign and then multiplayer for about a month or so, and haven't touched it since. It was a fun game IMO, but way too repetitive and doesn't require much thought to play (I always followed the same paths and camped the same spots). I bore easily when it comes to video games. I usually end up back with my old stand-bys: Fallout 3, Oblivion, Arma II and GTA 4.

Gdavis101
February 27th, 2010, 21:21
I cannot for the life of me understand the appeal of the Halo games, I bought into Halo 3 because of the hype and it was in my opinion the biggest waste of money I had ever spent on a game. Granted I don't do multi-player, but I just found the single player game laughable and the plot stupid.

Kiwikat
February 27th, 2010, 21:34
Why was Final Fantasy XII so expensive!? It wasn't even that great of a game. Many others in that series were far better. I did the conversion for how much Final Fantasy 7 would have cost today and it was only like 13-16 million. Odd.

Gran Turismo 5 is going to be mindblowing. It's a shame I don't have a PS3. I still play GT4 and the PSP version on my PSP.

Allen
February 27th, 2010, 22:58
I cannot for the life of me understand the appeal of the Halo games, I bought into Halo 3 because of the hype and it was in my opinion the biggest waste of money I had ever spent on a game. Granted I don't do multi-player, but I just found the single player game laughable and the plot stupid.

I take you have not played Halo 1 or Halo 2. Granted Halo 3 was not the best it could be.

jmig
February 28th, 2010, 03:39
When my children were small and still children I use to play some of the games with them. One son was really good at remembering mazes. He would navigate and I would kill the monsters and bad guys.

After they grew up and moved on I bought Obllivion. I created a character, turned on god mode and, hacked and slashed my way across the world until I beat the head demon. I wasn't into the challenge of the game. But I liked the graphics and movies when you accomplished a stage.

Flight Sim (especially that time and money hole called a cockpit) takes up enough time. Don't need anymore.

djscoo
February 28th, 2010, 09:15

They're too linear for my tastes. The entire game takes place in a canyon, then a hallway, then a platform with a bottomless pit on either side. I prefer being able to explore and use tactics in a fighting game.

MCDesigns
February 28th, 2010, 11:02
I don't have any on the list either, probably because most are console games and I refuse to support them since they take away resources for PC game development. it's freakin depressing, I was in Best Buy the other day to pick up a flashdrive for work and noticed the whole PC game section was missing. I made a scene, said a few choice works and vowed to them to spend my money at Fry's from now on trying to make a point to the manager, pointless I know, but I felt better, LOL. Made me hate consoles even more.

I still have quite a few games I haven't installed yet, bought them with the hope of finding the time and to support PC development, plus I still regularly enjoy SIMS2, GRAW2 and BF2. :tgun2:

cheezyflier
February 28th, 2010, 11:55
plus I still regularly enjoy SIMS2

i had a friend who's avatar was a sim screenie. when she would pop into chat, instead of saying hello she would say "cmn snalla?":icon_lol:

Bjoern
February 28th, 2010, 13:54
I played the MW2 campaign and then multiplayer for about a month or so, and haven't touched it since. It was a fun game IMO, but way too repetitive and doesn't require much thought to play (I always followed the same paths and camped the same spots).

Yeah. I just did the campaign and one of those spec-ops missions and then threw it off the HDD.

I usually end up back with my old stand-bys: Fallout 3, Oblivion, Arma II and GTA 4.

Do you just roam around in FO3 and Oblivion or do you re-play the whole story?

I explored most of the FO3 world and finished the story and that's about it. The ending couldn't bug me into going on uncovering the last few quests and places.
Oblivion, while having a few nice places as well ended up on my "never finished" list because I found the world a tad too hostile for explorers like me.

My favourite "replayable" game is Sins Of A Solar Empire. Open up a multiplayer session with 8 AI opponents and a 150 star-universe and you'll be busy 40 hours or more whilst bringing your quad core to its knees during large scale battles late in the game.
"Forgotten Hope" for BF1942 is another favourite of mine. Granted, the bots aren't clever (and I can't find my original BF1942 CDs with the key for online play) but I just love a good match, fending off T-34s with a Panther or lighting up a few Shermans with a Jagdpanzer IV.

Or Civilization 4...

Halo 1 was pretty cool, but came a bit too late to the PC to be the "big thing" it was for the XBox. Still, the story was told pretty well.

djscoo
February 28th, 2010, 14:39
Do you just roam around in FO3 and Oblivion or do you re-play the whole story?

I've played the Fallout 3 main story twice (once good, once evil) then I started on the DLC. I've finished Mothership Zeta and Broken Steel, I haven't got the other ones yet. I got the game of the year edition of Oblivion with the two DLCs included. I still haven't finished it. I'm waiting on Fallout: New Vegas... have you seen the trailers?

empeck
February 28th, 2010, 14:42
I've just finished Mass Effect 2 and I love it, and now I'm playing KOTOR for the first time, it's great game too. BioWare makes one of the best cRPG games out there.

Bjoern
February 28th, 2010, 15:34
I've played the Fallout 3 main story twice (once good, once evil) then I started on the DLC. I've finished Mothership Zeta and Broken Steel, I haven't got the other ones yet. I got the game of the year edition of Oblivion with the two DLCs included. I still haven't finished it. I'm waiting on Fallout: New Vegas... have you seen the trailers?

No, but I might give it a try once it's out.

I need a good story for multiple replays. The possibility of good/bad ways of solving things alone doesn't tickle me as much. Even in three playthroughs of KotoR I+II, I always ended up being the "good guy".

I've just finished Mass Effect 2 and I love it, and now I'm playing KOTOR for the first time, it's great game too. BioWare makes one of the best cRPG games out there.

I'm 26 hours into Mass Effect 2, before acquiring the Collector IFF.

Bioware has developed a unique style for their RPGs, which is both good and bad. Good because the gameplay feels familiar in every title, bad because every title feels familiar despite different universes.

Gdavis101
February 28th, 2010, 21:28
They're too linear for my tastes. The entire game takes place in a canyon, then a hallway, then a platform with a bottomless pit on either side. I prefer being able to explore and use tactics in a fighting game.

Glad I am not the only one..

Allen,

I did play the original Halo, briefly played Halo 2.. I was just expecting so much more than what Halo 3 actually was.

empeck
February 28th, 2010, 23:33
I like linear games if story is good (like in Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, etc.).

I've tried to play few 'sandbox' games like Oblivion, but I don't like it.

wombat666
March 1st, 2010, 00:03
Gee, I thought I had to be a weird person for not having any interest in any of those games...but I guess I'm normal...either that or I tend to hang out with weird people.

OBIO

+1.:applause:

FengZ
March 1st, 2010, 00:22
+1.:applause:

these games aren't targeting you guys anyways.

I'm sure if you went to the forums where these gamers hang out and post something about FS9/FSX, they'll all laugh about it as well. I showed FS9 to a gamer once, and he basically said "how can you play this? It's boring!" so yeah...same on both sides of the field :)

I do play a lot of games because it's part of my job (i consider it a perk actually). I'm currently playing Mass Effect 2 as well...really nice game! I have about 30+ games on my PC...but i rarely play them the "right" way. I just download some cheat so i can fly-by all the levels to look at the designs.....

-feng

empeck
March 1st, 2010, 00:34
these games aren't targeting you guys anyways.

I'm sure if you went to the forums where these gamers hang out and post something about FS9/FSX, they'll all laugh about it as well. I showed FS9 to a gamer once, and he basically said "how can you play this? It's boring!" so yeah...same on both sides of the field :)

I do play a lot of games because it's part of my job (i consider it a perk actually). I'm currently playing Mass Effect 2 as well...really nice game! I have about 30+ games on my PC...but i rarely play them the "right" way. I just download some cheat so i can fly-by all the levels to look at the designs.....

-feng

Hehe, I'm with you here. If a game has an editor I spend more time in editor than actually playing :)

Lewis-A2A
March 1st, 2010, 00:46
Snap with the editor comment, spent so much time in UnrealED and OFP editor

Lionheart
March 1st, 2010, 02:31
Glad Im also not alone in that area. I find myself trying to crack into the textures and see how the game is made or layed out in the folders, lol..

When I was able to open everything up in X3 Terran Conflict and see all the textures and open models, I just couldnt believe it. Almost better then playing the game, seeing how its made...

empeck
March 1st, 2010, 02:37
That's why I work in game dev studio. I just like to make something other people can enjoy. Same thing about my aircrafts for FSX :)

Snuffy
March 1st, 2010, 03:20
It does seem strange that none of them, or their predecessors, has made it across our threshold either...

Brian

+ However many.

Never owned a single one of those titles, never will.

Bjoern
March 1st, 2010, 21:38
OFP editor

Oh the memories...

Me, a Trabant and lots of AI on the roads. A scripting nightmare but soooo rewarding!

Ken Stallings
March 2nd, 2010, 19:03
Feng,

You are, of course, correct on both points you made. We are not the target audience of those games, and for those whom are, nearly all would consider FSX and the entire Flight Simulator series boring.

However, mega profits should not be the sole objective of a company. There should still be room for solid, if not spectacular, profits. Further, marketing must exist across the age and gender spectrum. Eventually, the kids buying these adventure games are going to mature. If there isn't a market designed for them, they will morph completely out of the genre.

Putting your business model on the acceptance that target market comes in the front door and exits out the back door long before their purchase powers diminish does not strike me as a cogent business model. In short, come about 2012 there is going to be a lucrative and unsatisfied market for a PC-based flight simulator and the clamor will be loud and clear. Someone is likely to fill the niche and make Microsoft one very sorry company that it turned its back on the money.

Cheers,

Ken

djscoo
March 2nd, 2010, 19:20
Feng didn't mean they were marketed to kids, just a different demographic. Statistics show that the average American gamer is 35 years old.

http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp

Allen
March 2nd, 2010, 19:28
I did play the original Halo, briefly played Halo 2.. I was just expecting so much more than what Halo 3 actually was.

That what the hype dose. I don't follow it. So no let down.