PDA

View Full Version : GEX USA/CAN full product update

Snaker
February 27th, 2010, 05:05
Their update is almost ready to go live. They have basically redone the entire product!! :jump:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=33450

Thoe6969
February 27th, 2010, 05:59
Thanks for the HU,have not had an update for a long time.Looking forward to it.

Roger
February 27th, 2010, 06:25
If it changes the textures to the GEX Europe style I think I'll keep the originals.

falcon409
February 27th, 2010, 06:38
If it changes the textures to the GEX Europe style I think I'll keep the originals.
Here's what is included in the update:
The issues addressed in version 1.09 are:<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
- Replace the entire interface system to sync up all GEX current and future releases which provides a 'shared' region backup system for all GEX versions in order to reduce drive space requirements<o:p></o:p>
- Automatic detection of UTX USA, Canada or Ultimate Alaska added when the interface is run or a UTX product is added at a later date<o:p></o:p>
- Rework the UTX/GEX update patch to better render grid housing areas just outside of large urban metro locations
- Reprocessed and improved over 90% of North America textures from past versions of GEX USA-Canada
- Added our autogen building patch which corrects building night lighting and installs automatically<o:p></o:p>
- Replace most of the desert and mountain environments and upgraded the Grand Canyon<o:p></o:p>
- Add GEX autogen tree fix to increase performance in large forest areas<o:p></o:p>
- Developed shared textures to sync Europe v1.02 with this v1.09 release<o:p></o:p>
- Added support for Ultimate Alaska with glacier texture upgrades<o:p></o:p>
- Replace airport pads and fixed dry location airport pads<o:p></o:p>
- Made adjustments to autogen for UTX patch tiles<o:p></o:p>
- Fixed bug for backing up and restoring UTX files<o:p></o:p>
- Reduce hard tram lines where ever possible<o:p></o:p>
- Replace mountain rock textures

JamesChams
February 27th, 2010, 13:04
Here's what is included in the update:
The issues addressed in version 1.09 are:<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
- Replace the entire interface system to sync up all GEX current and future releases which provides a 'shared' region backup system for all GEX versions in order to reduce drive space requirements<o:p></o:p>
- Automatic detection of UTX USA, Canada or Ultimate Alaska added when the interface is run or a UTX product is added at a later date<o:p></o:p>
- Rework the UTX/GEX update patch to better render grid housing areas just outside of large urban metro locations
- Reprocessed and improved over 90% of North America textures from past versions of GEX USA-Canada
- Added our autogen building patch which corrects building night lighting and installs automatically<o:p></o:p>
- Replace most of the desert and mountain environments and upgraded the Grand Canyon<o:p></o:p>
- Add GEX autogen tree fix to increase performance in large forest areas<o:p></o:p>
- Developed shared textures to sync Europe v1.02 with this v1.09 release<o:p></o:p>
- Added support for Ultimate Alaska with glacier texture upgrades<o:p></o:p>
- Replace airport pads and fixed dry location airport pads<o:p></o:p>
- Made adjustments to autogen for UTX patch tiles<o:p></o:p>
- Fixed bug for backing up and restoring UTX files<o:p></o:p>
- Reduce hard tram lines where ever possible<o:p></o:p>
- Replace mountain rock textures

Perfect; I like it when developers update their "GOOD-Oldies" to make them "GOOD-Newy" and everything else remains compatible and looks great, too. IMHO, GEX is a great product but it was time for it to get a little newer. Thanks for the Update! :salute:

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Spiritual_Journey.html)

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

AckAck
February 27th, 2010, 13:22

The issues addressed in version 1.09 are:<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>-snip-
<snip> - Reprocessed and improved over 90% of North America textures from past versions of GEX USA-Canada
<snip></snip></snip>-snip-
<snip><snip> - Replace most of the desert and mountain environments and upgraded the Grand Canyon<o:p></o:p></snip>
<snip><snip> </snip> - Developed shared textures to sync Europe v1.02 with this v1.09 release<o:p></o:p>
<snip><snip> </snip> - Replace mountain rock textures

Exactly. So, waiting to see new shots to see if Roger's worst fears are true...

Brian</snip>

deimos256
February 27th, 2010, 15:58
Full update, does this mean i have to go through the pain in the neck process of completely reinstalling it? If so I'll wait to see how much better it is.

SirBenn21
February 27th, 2010, 22:31
".......

2. If you got the DVD from another vendor (not Flight1 directly), we may have you

a. send the DVD product back to a specified address we will provide and we will get you a download key

b. Provide proof of purchase of some type and we will get you a download key

3. Since we will have to change USA-CANADA to the new NORTH AMERICA product on the next DVD run, if you cannot download this update, on a case by case basis, we may offer a DVD exchange. Please contact us about this offering but be aware our next DVD production run for North America is not going to take place in the next 6 weeks."

:mad:

Cancelled coment

6297J
February 28th, 2010, 06:24
The updates are umm ..... up. Textures being copied over as I type :jump:

scoutII
February 28th, 2010, 07:24
Re-downloaded - followed all instructions - installed - working fine so far - Chris

Cazzie
February 28th, 2010, 09:59
Had to install GEX-Europe 1.02 update, had 1.01. Did that, then followed instructions, wroks fine, took 4 hrs total for all downloads, uninstal;ling and reinstalling, then defragging, but all works well. Thanks fellows.

Caz

Thoe6969
February 28th, 2010, 10:20
Yeh I just went through the reinstall following there instructions,and I'm happy with the results.The ground textures are more detailed and I'm getting a pretty good raise in FPS.

Dain Arns
February 28th, 2010, 13:04
It definitely blends better, looks better, and runs better.
But I'm really not happy about the choice of colors.
Seem off color, faded, and well, rather drab.

There are no fall colors at all for the fall textures or autogen in my area, which is rather odd.
Just looks like an even more faded out set of summer textures.

Kind of on the fence on this one. :kilroy:

papab
February 28th, 2010, 15:05

Go get the new GEX North America
Completely different then GEX Europe
You will love the changes...Totally different from Europe
Rick

kdl
February 28th, 2010, 22:45
Hopefully there will soon be a solution for DVD owners like me so that I can enjoy the improvement of the new version, too.

Greetings
Dieter

papab
March 1st, 2010, 02:54
Hopefully there will soon be a solution for DVD owners like me so that I can enjoy the improvement of the new version, too.

Greetings
Dieter

Here is a quote from the GEX forum:

DVD and Boxed GEX USA-Canada Users:<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P></O:P>
<O:P></O:P>
Wemade every effort to service you immediately with this update however due to some circumstances that were unforeseen and the fact that the 1.09 update was never planned to be a full product change, you will need to contact Flight1 to be given a key for the updated product.<O:P></O:P>
BE AWARE, if you are a legal owner of GEX USA-Canada you will gain access to this update and Flight1 is taking steps to ensure this process is made fully automatic in the future with boxed runs of any new GEX release however please be patient with this process as Flight1 will try and expedite things for you as quickly as they can.<O:P></O:P>
The 3 categories of boxed product individuals are as follows:<O:P></O:P>
<O:P>
</O:P>
1. If you have the DVD edition which was ordered directly from Flight1, we can send you a download key by email. To do this, please submit a general customer service request via our ticket system at http://www.flight1.com/ticket.asp. Please provide your Flight1.com order number, name and address on the order, and email address.<O:P></O:P>
2. If you got the DVD from another vendor (not Flight1.com directly), we will be implementing a DVD exchange program that will likely work as follows (we do not have the system in place yet, so please be patient by while we get the system in place).

a. Send can the DVD product back to a specified address we will email you a download key.<O:P></O:P>
b. Alternately, in some cases, you may be able to provide certain proof of purchase and we will get you a download key.<O:P></O:P>
3. Since we will have to change USA-CANADA to the new NORTH AMERICA product on the next DVD run, if you cannot download this update, on a case by case basis, we may offer a DVD exchange (terms have not been arranged yet). Please be aware our next DVD production run for North America for a few weeks. It could be as long as 6 weeks from not that a DVD would be ready. <O:P></O:P>
<O:P>
</O:P>

Dain Arns
March 1st, 2010, 09:15
It's slowly growing on me. Figured out the fall colors issue, date was too late in the fall.
Still not real happy with the color of the grass.

The major factor in its favor is just how well it blends between different landclass types.
There were noticeable, "hard edges" with some landclasses and the previous GEX.
But the new GEX nHanced is really handles those edges between urban and rural quite well.

JIMJAM
March 1st, 2010, 14:46
I have every known addon there is and have at one time or another every problem there is. I have been running trouble free now for 6 months. That said, I swore I would not muck with FSX.
Well I am well past due for some good ol FSX headaches and bs. Yesterday I painlessly installed the new activesky update. Feeling cocky I removed GEX and installed this latest version.
It worked first time.:isadizzy: I say again. FSX loaded and I saw gobs of lovely green and autogen.
People, you do not understand the gravity of that. I have never did a reinstall of such large program to FSX and not run into major issues. Throw in FEX,UTX and a host of other addons and I am downright amazed. My biggest problem was digging up the last 4 digits of my CC.
I have only ran a few quick hops but it looks great imo. I admit I am not one to stare at autogen,trees,alignment or fool with color palattes ect. Does seem to be clearer and runs smoother. Cannot beat the price.
I am still in shock that all went so painlessly. Time whip out a heli and do some low level eye candy exploring.

Snaker
March 3rd, 2010, 09:24
I have installed the update. I really like the way they updated the winter textures. I had asked them to adjust the textures for slews/swamps and golf courses in hard winter to get rid of open water. They fixed both of these areas. Nice to see how they listened to their customers. It is now much more realisitic in my opinion.

They also adjusted and improved the night lighting for rural textures. Overall I am satisified with the update.

:applause:

Dimus
March 4th, 2010, 02:02
The urban night lighting ain't bad either. Here's a couple of dawn shots over Renton, Seattle:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2010-03-0323-27-25-63.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2010-03-0323-14-16-07.jpg

Stan V.
March 4th, 2010, 12:13

Greetings
Dieter

Yeah, I'm in the same canoe, Dieter. Anybody care to guess how long it will take Flight1 to decide what to do with us and then actually do it? I've had my request in since last Sunday and am ready to respond whenever they say the word! There's a lesson here someplace.:jump:

Stan V

sblzei
March 4th, 2010, 13:44
I'm still using the 1.8 version and although they say that even a caveman (!) can do the job, I'm very reluctant to uninstall what I have. To me it looks like a major (system) surgery and I don't even know if the other scenery add-ons that I have (like UTX or Mega Scenery, or some Blue Sky Scenery) need to be removed and re-installed.
I am dowloading 1.09 right now, but probably it will take a while before I find the courage to tamper with my sistem,
but I might be wrong.......:isadizzy:

Ezio

Stan V.
March 4th, 2010, 15:54
I'm still using the 1.8 version and although they say that even a caveman (!) can do the job, I'm very reluctant to uninstall what I have. To me it looks like a major (system) surgery and I don't even know if the other scenery add-ons that I have (like UTX or Mega Scenery, or some Blue Sky Scenery) need to be removed and re-installed.
I am dowloading 1.09 right now, but probably it will take a while before I find the courage to tamper with my sistem,
but I might be wrong.......:isadizzy:

Ezio

Ezio, Use caution if you didn't buy directly from Flight1 originally. They are still firming up their policy about what to do with users who got their GEX from another vendor. Check into this BEFORE uninstalling your working version.

Stan V.

olaf1924
March 4th, 2010, 18:26
I am a caveman when it comes to fsx and I can report gex 1.09 downloaded and installed with no problems on my end.

sblzei
March 5th, 2010, 00:55
Thanks Stan for the advice. :icon29:

I did buy directly from Flight One (direct download), but my concerns are in order:
1) will the key still work?
2) what about the other add-ons, do they need to be deactivated beforehand?
3) is there a correct add-ons rank (with respect to GEX) to be respected?

Ezio

Dimus
March 5th, 2010, 01:40
sblzei,

I can not answer you for the key as I just bought the product. However, there is no issue at all with other addons as GEX is a texture set replacing the default textures. You can install it anytime. It's a good idea to describe your case to their forum and get a reliable answer from Nick or Anthony.

Dimus
March 8th, 2010, 01:07
Just wanted to share with you some shots over mount Rainier and over Portland city from my trip in the states. Check out the rock textures:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2010-03-0523-38-58-69.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2010-03-0523-41-09-32.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2010-03-0718-49-20-83.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/fsx2010-03-0718-51-19-57.jpg

Stan V.
March 8th, 2010, 06:27
Thank you, Dimus - those are supurb photos. Please forgive me, however, if I say that they are like rubbing salt in a wound - I am very frustrated with Flight1 about now having waited over a week for them to decide what they are going to do for those of us who purchased GEX from a vendor other than Flight1. And we are still waiting - and it looks like we will have to continue to wait once they decide what to do with us in order to go through some sort of cd exchange. All of this for a free update - free, that is, except for cd postage.

Dimus
March 8th, 2010, 07:21
I can feel your pain Stan. I did not own 1.08 so it was a brand new purchase and direct download for me. and I've been having too much fun with it so indeed this must be salt on woulds for you. Personally I had very good support from Flight1 up to now so I trust a solution will be found soon.

Stan V.
March 8th, 2010, 08:07
I can feel your pain Stan. I did not own 1.08 so it was a brand new purchase and direct download for me. and I've been having too much fun with it so indeed this must be salt on woulds for you. Personally I had very good support from Flight1 up to now so I trust a solution will be found soon.

Actually, I agree with you - in a sense. Most of my purchases of Flight1 products since I got GEX have been from Flight1 directly, and I have had no support problems with those. That's why this one has been such a shock.

Stan V.

kdl
March 14th, 2010, 06:06
I really wonder how long we, the customers of the DVD version, have to wait for a solution, getting our DVD changed or any other method for this update?

We are not customers second class!!!
At this time I'm very dissappointed about the service, Flight1 is offering to us.

Greetings
Dieter