PDA

View Full Version : Win7 Beta Countdown

falcon409
February 26th, 2010, 19:30
I am running the Win7 Evaluation Copy, build 7100. I've had a serious bout with pneumonia for several weeks now and haven't really been interested in spending as much time online as I used to. Because of that I've paid little to no attention to the pop-ups warning of the upcoming shutdown on Monday, that is until today when I got a nice big pop-up to remind me to back up my information and install any version of Win7.

Here's the dilemma, with my financial problems right now I can't afford to waste money on a new OS. . .the only thing I have at hand is the original restore disk for the computer. Since I purchased it a couple years ago, the only remaining original part of the system is the chassis. The motherboard, power supply, CPU, etc have all been changed. Will that affect the restore process (back to Vista)?

My only other option is an upgrade disk I purchased thinking I was going to upgrade XP, only to have the motherboard self destruct two days later. . .hence the new computer purchase with Vista installed. I don't think the XP Upgrade disk is viable because it will look for a current version before beginning. So my only hope is that I can use the restore disk to at least get Vista back on for now.

I'm open to opinions and suggestions.:salute:

hey_moe
February 26th, 2010, 21:38
Just change the date on your pooter to a Dec. 09 date and keep using it.

Butcherbird17
February 26th, 2010, 22:31
You can do a clean install of Vista with the upgrade disk. Read here on how to: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_upgrade_clean.asp

Joe

VinFlyer
February 27th, 2010, 00:59
There's still one version of Windows 7 that's available for testing. There's a 90 days trail version of 7 Enterprise. When installed you have 90 days a fully working OS. It's a temporary fix for you but gives you an other 3 months. Check out the details here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx

Navy Chief
February 27th, 2010, 03:38
If I were to purchase Win7, will it install on top of, or rather, upgrade my existing install of Vista, 64 bit?

Thanks.

NC

falcon409
February 27th, 2010, 06:31
Thanks for the responses. Just a couple of things based on the suggestions I got. . .the Upgrade disk I have isn't for Vista, it's for XP. . .what I have for Vista is the restore disk that came with the computer, so If I can restore from that and at least get Vista back and working it would be fine for now. Hey_moe, your suggestion is the easiest for sure, I'll use that for now until I know for sure what I can do permanently.:salute: