PDA

View Full Version : New SOW interview

Antoninus
February 26th, 2010, 11:19
A new BOB preview/interview is up at checksix-fr.com. Some amazing stuff. Looks like they will have all the realism found in the latest A2A simulations FSX add ons plus much more in a combat flight sim. Thus just what I hoped to see. For me the ultimate flight sim is coming.

http://www.checksix-fr.com/articles/Articles_html/inter_Oleg_Foxy/interview_oleg_foxy_EN.html

DennyA
February 26th, 2010, 15:27
Thanks for linking that. I'm not surprised that systems will be modeled in ridiculous detail. I wasn't reassured much by the almost total lack of discussion of gameplay, but that's the interviewer's fault. I did laugh when he said IL-2 had been lauded for hits human AI, though -- B-level mid-1990s sims like the boxed version of Air Warrior had better AI than IL-2 does.

I just hope that we get an exciting aerial battlefield that's more like what you read in WW2 memoirs, instead of the sterile, vacant environment you get in IL-2. I'd much rather see them put effort into AI, exciting encounter scenarios, and a ground environment that's looks like what pilots really flew over, than put that effort into making sure you have to hit the right switches in the right order to start the Stuka, or into limiting TrackIR movement to match G-forces that you can't feel.

And please, God, let them tone down the stall modeling to take into account that you're flying a desk without the feedback you get in a real plane.

stansdds
February 27th, 2010, 05:20
All that detail and systems accuracy is great, but may bog down the average computer of today. And while the detail is nice, it is supposed to be a combat flight simulator. If you cannot have sufficient aircraft in the air and really good AI, then it's not going to be much more than eye candy. European Air War, in my opinion, is still one of the best combat flight sims to date. Not because it had the best in eye candy, that actually went to MS CFS2 at the time, but because the AI was really good for its era and the offline campaigns were very well done.

Il2: 1946 with the modifications now available has done a lot to pull Il2 up to EAW's standards in terms of combat simulation. If Storm of War does not provide good combat, then it may take a back seat to Il2, especially since the Il2 game code has been passed on to Daidelos.

Just my dos centavos.