PDA

View Full Version : News from the Pacific

O-1Driver
February 26th, 2010, 10:21
Gentlemen,

We will be doing an update to the PTO this year hopefully with a release date of Summer or early Fall. Below is an overview of what we hope to accomplish with the update.

1. Aircraft - Numerous new skins by Bravo4 for the aircraft currently in PTO. With Teds approval we hope to add the new PBY with a variety of new skins. We are also seeking approval from the AvHistory team to add the 2nd Zero and Kate to the base install. John is providing new skins for the Val, Kate and both Zeros.
2. Enterprise Night Operations - Talon (Al) is building a new set of missions featuring our new lighted Enterprise with night operations missions based on historical data. We will have several new US Navy aircraft with night paint schemes for these missions.
3. New airfields - The ACC team has kindly agreed to build a couple of new airfields for us starting with a historical recreation of Henderson Field. We would also like to see Rabaul done in time.
4. Ships update - Ships will be updated with the new 20mm and 40 mm golf ball tracer flak. The new 5" large flak will also be mounted on Destroyers, Cruisers and Batle Wagons.
5. Shore batteries will be added that will include the new 5" AA gun.
6. Facilities and airfields will all be updated with the ETO flak.
7. New weather and effects will be included in the update.
8. Several new weapons will debut with the PTO update including Al's new skip bomb.
9. The new incendiary and ball ammunition will be retrofitted to all PTO aircraft.
10. We have a new and more realistic depth charge effect for that weapon.
11. As always we know we can count on Talon for an outstanding set of new missions for our enjoyment.

Kasey who has done a great job with ETO 1.3 has been drafted to put together a cummulative installer for the PTO update. All previous updates will be rolled into the one new update.

We greatly appreciate Rob and John putting together the new aircraft for us. Special thanks also go out to the rest of the ETO team that will be helping with the project including Bob who we know we can count on for advice on format and building the installer.

We hope all of you Pacific fans are as excited as we are about the 2010 update.

Best Regards

O-1

BeauBrummie
February 26th, 2010, 11:20
You can count me in for some missions mate. I've been dying to dip my toe into the Pacific.

Don't forget to let me know when you want to put some announcements on the PTO/ETO website. :wavey:

NachtPiloten
February 26th, 2010, 12:00
Should be done in a month or two...

grizzly50
February 26th, 2010, 12:40
:kilroy:Ya know I'm with ya, Steve.

Well, come aboard, Jeff. We have GOT to work on getting PT boats into this one, if possible. LOL

And, Ted, uhhhh, YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWW!!!!!

Thanks, guys.:d

Talon
February 26th, 2010, 12:52
You mean I have to work with Griz? I'm going on vacation for a long time than.:jump:

Talon

grizzly50
February 26th, 2010, 13:33
:kilroy:AL!

Ya know, flattery will get EVERYWHERE with me, bud!!!!! I WUV YOU, TOO!!!!! LOLOLOLOL :173go1::d

O-1Driver
February 26th, 2010, 16:19

Holy Cow!! Thanks Ted.

Steve

O-1Driver
February 26th, 2010, 16:21
You can count me in for some missions mate. I've been dying to dip my toe into the Pacific.

Don't forget to let me know when you want to put some announcements on the PTO/ETO website. :wavey:

Thanks Jeff it is going to be great having you involved in the Pacific. You know what they always said...
"The Atlantic is a pond compared to the Pacific".

Steve

O-1Driver
February 26th, 2010, 16:22
Kasey, I think this is going to be a great update but a lot of work for you my friend.:salute:

Steve

pachi
February 26th, 2010, 16:39
awesome news!! :jump::ernae:

grizzly50
February 26th, 2010, 17:06
:kilroy:Steve, just wait until you get my bill.:icon_eek::mix-smi::isadizzy::pop4::crybaby::d

sdsbolt
February 26th, 2010, 19:24

youve always got a bit hidden up your sleeve..dont you :isadizzy:

Vogelscheuche
February 26th, 2010, 20:38
May I suggest that you include things like the Reg's Hanger searchlights and the Av History Oscar (AvH_JP_Ki43II_77th) which when you go to download it, requires that you go get another file, which requires that you go get yet another file from somewhere. In other words; make a complete install package like ETO so people don't give up on chasing files and quit the whole thing like I did. PTO in this respect is a very unprofessional approach to an add-on.

grizzly50
February 26th, 2010, 21:02
:kilroy:Vogelscheuche, I believe that is exactly what we will do.

I understand that there were some omissions to the original PTO series due to what reason or reasons I cannot fathom, as I was not part of the team then.

There will be plenty of fixes, additions, and modfications to PTO, I can assure you. Just what, I cannot say, because I do not know. Most of us on the team don't know right now.

There will be a number of people working on many different things, I am sure.:d

Vogelscheuche
February 26th, 2010, 21:41
:kilroy:Vogelscheuche, I believe that is exactly what we will do.

That's good to hear. Will the new version go back and install the stuff that should have been included in 1.54 (searchlights and the Oscar and the extra files that the Oscar requires)? I will keep an eye on the next release to see if it is indeed complete. I really wanted to fly this expansion but I'm not willing to chase down any more files to do the install.

Emile
February 26th, 2010, 21:44
Hello and Thanks to all of you.

O-1Driver
February 27th, 2010, 05:10
May I suggest that you include things like the Reg's Hanger searchlights and the Av History Oscar (AvH_JP_Ki43II_77th) which when you go to download it, requires that you go get another file, which requires that you go get yet another file from somewhere. In other words; make a complete install package like ETO so people don't give up on chasing files and quit the whole thing like I did. PTO in this respect is a very unprofessional approach to an add-on.

At first PTO was never meant to be a major addon like ETO, rather it was designed to be a sandbox for everyone to play with and use it to develop add ons.

We designed ETO from the very start to be a comprehensive add on.

We have made some minor fragmented updates to PTO but this next one will be comprehensive and we will try to make some improvements in the aircraft selection and bring it up to the level of ETO.

Thanks for your patience while we try to make it better. Many of these guys have full time jobs that get in the way of this hobby.

Steve

Talon
February 27th, 2010, 07:36

Vogelscheuche

1) We are not professionals and do this as a hobby.If it weren't for the PTO team you'd just have a basic install with limited planes,facilities,no enhanced effects and so forth.

2) We can't put in things we don't have permission to put in.Examples-AvH_JP_Ki43ll_77th and and the Reg's Hanger searchlights.I believe permission was given to use the search lights in ETO which came out after the last PTO update.So as you can see we can't include everything we'd like.Everyone else seems to understand this and they don't complain.

3) Countless hours go into doing the best we can and it's FREE.That's right FREE.

Next time before you complain know the facts.

"You can please all the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time".

"But than again there's no pleasing some people"

Talon

Vogelscheuche
February 27th, 2010, 08:38
Vogelscheuche

1) We are not professionals and do this as a hobby.If it weren't for the PTO team you'd just have a basic install with limited planes,facilities,no enhanced effects and so forth.

2) We can't put in things we don't have permission to put in.Examples-AvH_JP_Ki43ll_77th and and the Reg's Hanger searchlights.I believe permission was given to use the search lights in ETO which came out after the last PTO update.So as you can see we can't include everything we'd like.Everyone else seems to understand this and they don't complain.

3) Countless hours go into doing the best we can and it's FREE.That's right FREE.

Next time before you complain know the facts.

"You can please all the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time".

"But than again there's no pleasing some people"

Talon

Sure it's human that you want to lash out at me for bringing you bad news. Historically messengers are often shot when doing this. This is why I no longer report bugs to any developers. It seems it's taken as a personal attack and the denial is ugly. I know this is a labor of love for you guys, just try to see another point of view: a lot of people just won't go chasing file after file after file that could be included in the installer. I find the install instructions for these other files to be somewhat sketchy and lacking in clarity. Dropping them manually into the wrong place and there begins the problems.

Just ask permission from the developers of these "other" files to include them in your product. Most are only too happy to have their work recognized.

Be professional and listen to people with different opinions. Just because someone complains about something doesn't mean that they are the only one with that problem. How many other people have simply gone away after being frustrated with the install? Try to improve the quality of your product, not the quantity (of aircraft). My only hope is that you succeed with a reasonable install so that one day I might try this out.

HouseHobbit
February 27th, 2010, 09:11
This is GREAT, will there be any Real Japanese ships?
You Know, Kongo or Yamato, or some of their great Cruisers and destroyers..
Maybe a "Lily"or a "Sally" bomber maybe a "Judy" thrown in..
too..
My head is spinning.. Let me Know if I can help..

Talon
February 27th, 2010, 09:29
BTW my response was not a denial I was stating facts.We also do listen to what people say and try to incorporate what we can.

We didn't have permission at the time for some of the addons in question.We are trying to include as much as we can.Not all developers will give permission to use their files.We are still trying to get permission for some of the things we want use.Now if we don't get the permission we can't use it.In that case if you want to add something extra that's up to you.

Talon

Talon
February 27th, 2010, 10:14
This is GREAT, will there be any Real Japanese ships?
You Know, Kongo or Yamato, or some of their great Cruisers and destroyers..
Maybe a "Lily"or a "Sally" bomber maybe a "Judy" thrown in..
too..
My head is spinning.. Let me Know if I can help..

HouseHobbit

Doesn't seem to be any ship designers around anymore so we're stuck with what we have.
As for planes none that you've mentioned have been made or planned.There seems to be much more interest in ETO planes than PTO planes,sorry to say.

Talon

NachtPiloten
February 27th, 2010, 10:24
The comments made by v were factual and relevant. However, it is not what you say but the way in which you say them that usually causes ire. :pop4: That was my general reaction to the comments made about some of the issues facing the PTO project. Perfecting the installer would be great and including the desired planes, objects and other pieces would be welcomed. I think the very fact that there is a new update coming recognizes the fact that there were areas that could have been improved.

I am not sure we pursue to be professional here, we try to enjoy our hobby, do the best with what we know how to do, and above enjoy the relationships and fun we derive from this hobby. If we screw up, upload add-ons that need a fix or two, well that happens. :isadizzy: I know that not one of us wants to upload something that is corrupt or incomplete, but try as we might we all make mistakes. Tell us we made a mistake, encourage us to fix it, and if you have the talent and time don't just be a consumer be a contributor, that would help us all. :applause:

remcoc
February 27th, 2010, 11:41
HouseHobbit

Doesn't seem to be any ship designers around anymore so we're stuck with what we have.
As for planes none that you've mentioned have been made or planned.There seems to be much more interest in ETO planes than PTO planes,sorry to say.

Talon

You could try Fouteman. His website is full of new ships.

RemcoC

BeauBrummie
February 27th, 2010, 12:06
I'll have another look, but from my last visit he'd a number of existing ships with new skins. But they may be workable.

Vogelscheuche
February 27th, 2010, 15:54
.......In that case if you want to add something extra that's up to you......
Talon

Are you saying the files that the 1.54 update asks you to chase down are not really needed for everything to work properly? If I do the complete install without these extra files and the other files that they tell you are necessary, the sim will work OK and without errors?

If that's the case I'll try it!

Talon
February 27th, 2010, 16:44
Well I just checked the night missions and it didn't seem to have any searchlights.I don't have the GC searchlights either.I may have modified some missions to my liking so I can't say for sure.

BTW the Oscar just has to be dropped in the aircraft folder,everything else is there for it.PTO had the latest avh weapons at that time.I just put the Oscar in today myself because I didn't have it with no problems.

I also modify my game alot to try some new things.

Talon

Vogelscheuche
February 27th, 2010, 17:35
Well I just checked the night missions and it didn't seem to have any searchlights.I don't have the GC searchlights either.I may have modified some missions to my liking so I can't say for sure.

BTW the Oscar just has to be dropped in the aircraft folder,everything else is there for it.PTO had the latest avh weapons at that time.I just put the Oscar in today myself because I didn't have it with no problems.

I also modify my game alot to try some new things.
Talon
Thanks, that's good info. OK, then I'm going to give this another try.

One last question: The Oscar files don't seem to be in a folder and the txt file says drop them into the games aircraft folder. Is this correct? It would seem that all aircraft in the aircraft folder should have their own folder? Is it OK to just dump all those individual files into the games aircraft folder?

grizzly50
February 27th, 2010, 17:52
Thanks, that's good info. OK, then I'm going to give this another try.

One last question: The Oscar files don't seem to be in a folder and the txt file says drop them into the games aircraft folder. Is this correct? It would seem that all aircraft in the aircraft folder should have their own folder? Is it OK to just dump all those individual files into the games aircraft folder?

:kilroy:Vogelscheuche, I just now downloaded that Oscar from AvHistory myself, and like all of their aircraft, you have to unzip (extract) the zip file before installation, preferably to a folder OUTSIDE of your game install. Inside that zip file is a folder with the name of that aircraft on it. All you have to do is drop this folder into the aircraft folder of your game install.:d

Vogelscheuche
February 27th, 2010, 18:12
:kilroy:.......... Inside that zip file is a folder with the name of that aircraft on it.....

OK, I got it. The unzipper I was using for some reason did not create the folder. WinZip worked fine. I'll redownload all the install files and have a go at this. Thanks to everyone who replied with help.

Murray Cod
February 27th, 2010, 20:57
thanks Steve and the rest of the PTO team. I recently took advantage of Aeroplane Heaven giving away a number of CFS3 aircraft for free and downloaded and installed the AH Boomerang into my PTO. Now I just need to pull my finger out and make a ground pounding mission or two for the Boomerang (although I could take the easy way out and modify one of the existing P38 missions)

cheers
MC