PDA

View Full Version : questions for Epic pilots

pilottj
February 26th, 2010, 08:05
Hey folks,
I picked up Bill's wonderful Epic yesterday. I am having a great time flying it tho I could use some advice on how to master the PT-6 :) I figured I needed a good plane to learn turboprops before Realair gets their Turbo Duke out.

What is a typical taxi proceedure for a powerful turboprop like the Epic? If I try to taxi it like a piston it likes to lurch foward even if I am smooth on the power. What approx power settings do you use with power, prop, condition levers?

Then after takeoff, I am curious about power settings as well. I am interested in recommended climb power settings as well as typical max cruise settings and economy cruise settings :)

Cheers
TJ

clmooring
February 26th, 2010, 16:38
I am not an expert, but you need to set the condition lever very low. If you set it too low the engine will shut down. Set the lever just shy of shutting the engine down.

pilottj
February 26th, 2010, 23:01
lol yeah ive been practicing I think I have got it under control, having a condition lever set to idle seems to help as well having prop lever back a little. I am still unsure of general cruise settings but I managed to fly it from California to Hawaii with a headwind. That little bird sure has some long legs with the optional long range tanks configured. I noticed it can go into beta(reverse) mode while in the air, I thought only the PC-6 had that capability but its quite nice, lets you decend really steep and slow. I have been looking for the plane that could get in and out under 2000' of runway while being able to stretch 2000 miles. I belive the PC-12 can but I think the Elite looks better :) Tho think will need the optional potty installed for those long trips LOL

Cheers
TJ

Lionheart
February 26th, 2010, 23:31
Hey TJ,

Yep, the condition lever is important.

I actually had the beta effect of the engine/prop higher (slower, more powerful kick) which Epic said was correct (with the real Epic LT), but I had alot of complaints, so I mellowed it down. With the real Epic LT, you give it a bit of throttle, release the brakes and wait for the kick or the spool up to occur. Knowing your throttle position also helps, the 'feel' for where its at, how much to give it.

The truth of the element in the package for this odd kick is that its a super light airframe, totally carbon fiber, no aluminum or metals, aside from engine mounts and landing gear and engine. You have a Pratt PT6-67A high performance heavy turboprop jet tied to the front. What you have is a rocket. Its over powered. They would test this with a climb out to something like 24,000 feet (if I remember correctly) at a radical angle of attack, (I cant remember, but I think its in the manual), which they could get to cieling in something like 10 min's. Thats the real plane. The PC-12, when doing testing, lost two engines on prototypes from break-aways from over throttle/over torque on the airframe, and so they created a 50% limiter for the throttle to keep it low on takeoffs and at speed/altitude, the limiter is cutout of the throttle loop, (on the PC-12).

Thats the story on the issue on taxiing.

Must be nice to have one. The guy that did the article on this in PC Pilot magazine lives near the airport and says they dont even sound like turboprops. They sound more like quiet jets. Perhaps its because the props are set lightly and the throttle is pretty low when in pattern. I tried for that effect in the soundpack, more jet sound then prop sound. Most TP's are loud and sound like props, like the Caravan and PC-12, though the PC-12 isnt as loud as as some. The KingAir and Piaggio are radically loud, IMHO.

On a side note, the new, little Epic Victory will be nice and quiet inside, having the rear mounted single jet engine. It will be more like a muffled 'whirrr' sound. Outside will be too loud though, lol..

Bill

pilottj
February 27th, 2010, 09:16
lol yeah when i was working at the airport as a ramper I cant remember a turbine powered aircraft that I didn't want hearing protection for marshalling. Oh well no noise abatements proceedures or people to complain about noise in FS :)

Bill, I was wondering if you had some cruise power settings info from the LT's POH. Ive ballparked some econ cruise settings but I was curious if there was more exact data available :)

CHeers
TJ