PDA

View Full Version : Guadalcanal is Tough

bobhegf
February 26th, 2010, 01:17
Things are getting rough here at cactus.

erufle
February 26th, 2010, 05:12

That has been the rumor for six decades or so. :salute:

bobhegf
February 26th, 2010, 07:10
Don`t tell anyone let is be a surprise.

tonybones2112
February 26th, 2010, 10:01

You know it buddy. In QC I attack what I intercept and for a lark fly back and land at Henderson, today was a Ju-88 G1 with the nose shot off by Bismark's gunners on the new Russky bomber he just uploaded to Simviation.

BTW, which Japanese plane was it that used to come over Henderson at night just to be a pain, they called him Washing Machine Charley? It was a Dave, Alf, or a Pete. I had a friend once who said one of the Army pilots had a Thompson with a drum magazine who went berserk one night and cut lose on Charley. He must have hit something because the plane flew off and didn't come back that night.

Bones

sc7500
February 26th, 2010, 12:13
From an historical reference blog:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=93953&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Richard B. Frank covers the subject in his tome on Guadalcanal on pp.197-98. The twin-engine JNAF night harrassment aircraft with "distinctive motor noises" were called Washing Machine Charlie. The single-engine variety were all floatplanes and were called Louie the Louse. The twin-engine Mitsubishi bombers that operated at night over Guadalcanal were based at Rabaul, which the floatplanes were based at Rekata Bay, flew off of cruisers operating in the "Slot" or off of the seaplane tenders assigned to "R" Area Air Force headquartered in the Shortlands. Frank goes on to "explode" several myths:

a) the engines were not intentionally desynchronized; it was just the way Japanese aircraft engines sounded;
b) these aircraft did not operate nightly, but rather only in conjunction with naval surface forces on those nights that they shelled Guadalcanal.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Comments ? Questions ?

Hand Gestures ?
SC
:kilroy:

bobhegf
February 26th, 2010, 14:47
Most of the time the enemy bombers and or fighters would come over as spoters for the war ships.Once the area was lighted the enemy ships would use the pagoda as a range marker.

bobhegf
February 27th, 2010, 05:00
Weather for today at Guadalcanal
Temp 83
Bar 29.83 and rising
Humity100%
Vis. 6.2 nm
Winds calm
Sunrise 6:23 AM
Sunset 6:41PM
Dewpoint 77*

bobhegf
February 27th, 2010, 17:13
I am really starting to like thies missions.I have a total of three kills in 4 missions. Take away one kill for every plane you lose and in my case I have lost 2 up to this point and I end up with one kill.That doesn`t include the 2kills I got at Midway. Total number of kills three.I am testing the missions not using any aids,it is what us old timers call no fun rules.

whitehawk_2009
February 28th, 2010, 16:00
Weather for today at Guadalcanal
Temp 83
Bar 29.83 and rising
Humity100%
Vis. 6.2 nm
Winds calm
Sunrise 6:23 AM
Sunset 6:41PM
Dewpoint 77*

You forgot the raining lead after sundown....:icon_lol:

WH

bobhegf
March 11th, 2010, 14:51
I have found alot more detailed info about Cactus. I am redoing the missions again. More info as I get it.

Talon
March 12th, 2010, 08:22
Hey Bob

This is getting like PHP2.You started this about the same time.

bearcat241
March 12th, 2010, 08:32
He's got a point Bob...git 'er done man!...we appreciate all the advertising over the past 5 years, but when do we get the product?

bobhegf
March 12th, 2010, 09:35
I want to get it done to.I have learned alot about how to build missions doing this but it is time .I like the basic missions I am doing as well as the AI AC.The only reason I am doing them over is because I found alot of detailed info about the missions flown durring this time frame.Now I can say thies missions are baised on actual events that happened during this part of the campain insted of saying thies missions are fiction based on fact.