PDA

View Full Version : FYI Vietnam War Project (FSX)

Emile
February 25th, 2010, 22:01
Hello,
Just for your information
http://vietnamwar.project.free.fr/

Frosty
February 26th, 2010, 05:13
Very interesting Emile!!

I really like the atmosphere this project conveys! It 's a bit like what we ACC guys are trying to do for ETO. Fly this project on a hot, humid summerday and you really could get the feeling that you're in a 'Tour of Duty' or 'China Beach' episode...

BTW, did anybody notice that it seems like there are a couple of CFS3 scenery objects used in this project? Browse through the screenies and spot them!

O-1Driver
February 26th, 2010, 06:25
Hello,
Just for your information
http://vietnamwar.project.free.fr/

Emile, thanks for posting the link. Just some trivia info if I may. The O-1 shown with the 73rd Aviation Company markings is painted wrong. The aircraft with the tail # 72795 is an O-1 D model with a constant speed prop. The crew chief, Al Adcock on that aircraft is a friend of mine and he wrote the Squadron Signal book O-1 Bird Dog in action. Al lives just up the road from me in Marianna Florida. He assisted me in the restoration and painting of the O-1 D currently in service with the Army Aviation foundation. He came down several times while I was working on the aircraft to insure the markings and paint colors were correct. I painted his name on the door of the aircraft as it was in Vietnam. The aircraft of the 73rd Aviation Company were shipped to Vietnam with their pre war semi gloss OD paint. This OD is a different color than was used later, the later OD color is shown on the aircraft I restored.All markings were changed to flat black with no National Insignia. All of the 73rd Company aircraft were soon over painted with the later OD satin color with lustreless black markings.

The yellow on the tail of the 73rd Company aircraft should be a more orange yellow (schoolbus) and the orange stripe on the wing should be International orange not yellow. I noticed that the star and bar is painted out on the fuselage which would be correct after the unit was in country for a short time. They were in fact painted over as the VC were using them as an aiming point .

The tail numbers IE 72795 were later changed and for all aircraft older than 10 years old were given a letter prefix of "O" to identify them. this letter O did not stand for O-1 Bird Dog.

One final thing, the designation L-19 was dropped well before the war in Vietnam and changed to O-1.

I have restored three of these aircraft and have logged over 1500 hrs in them. Attached is a picture of the last one I restored with the correct color orange on top of the wing. This aircraft was restored in the markings of the 183rd Aviation Company AKA "Seahorses".

Best Regards,

O-1

Emile
February 26th, 2010, 06:51
Thanks
O-1 your are a very informed man , :salute:

MajorMagee
February 26th, 2010, 08:29
O-1,

It's guys like you that make this such a cool place to spend my spare time.