PDA

View Full Version : FSX aircraft lighting question/problem

cbreeze
February 25th, 2010, 16:20
Greetings,

I hope that someone can help me with this. I have a new computer that I got specifically for FSX. I am running Win7 with FSX on its own hard drive.

I have been using the default FSX aircraft for several weeks now. I swear that I was able to control the exterior aircraft lights with the various switches on the instrument panel. By this I mean I was able to turn on various exterior lights using the cockpit switches and then was able to switch to a outside view and enjoy the effect. I could alter the effect I wanted by simply switching on and off the various light switches.

I purchased Mega Scenery Las Vegas and did the install. I actually had to do it twice to get it to run. I then started flying and noticed something different. I could no longer control the exterior lights using the cockpit switches. I tried various switch combinations and when I switched to the outside view, the exterior lights remained off. The only way I can turn on the different lights and see them from the exterior view is use the assigned keyboard keys.

I don't think I am losing my mind cause I distinctly remember switching on varrious light combinations from the cockpit and using the outside view to see the aircraft parked at a jet way. Depending on the status of the flilght, the aircraft may or may not have all it's lights on.

I am wondering if something happened with the double Mega Scenery install. I have used Mega in the past when I was running FS9 and never experienced any problems. BTW this is Mega Scenery for FSX.

Thank you

cbreeze

Lionheart
February 25th, 2010, 16:53
Take into accound that certain lights only work at certain times, like night for instance with gauges and VC lights. (VC lights still work, but very dimly).

With scenery addons, they do tend to have a 'scenery configuration retune' that can optionally change your view/display settings in FSX, but usually that is only for terrain settings.

You can check your Display settings and make sure all your lighting settings are correct, and also your Aircraft Realism center, check that all options for visibilities are ticked on.

But aside from that, I cant see that scenery could change aircraft effects lighting and VC switches.

Make sure you arent 'in' the seat mesh area (leaning back if you have TrackIR on, or moved back and 'in' the seat). If you are 'in' the seat, you render the switches inoperable as you have a polygon mesh between you and the switches, even though you are looking through them from behind. It still causes them not to work. To test this, boot up, and move forward to the dash and try the buttons again.

Hope you get it working.

Bill

cbreeze
February 25th, 2010, 17:06
Bill,

Thanks for the response. I will try your suggestions. I am not using TrackIR. It is just me in my desk chair with my joystick. I noticed the difference immediately after the install as I was attempting to fly and enjoy Las Vegas at night with the default 737. Hope I can get this issue resolved. I know the answer is out there .

cbreeze