PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan XH558 Saved yet again!!

centuryseries
February 25th, 2010, 09:42
The Vulcan has been saved yet again!

This time by a huge £458,000 donation by Mr/Mrs Anonymous supporter.

Thats what I call generosity! Makes my donations look like a drop in the Pacific! :jump:

www.tvoc.co.uk

Roadburner440
February 25th, 2010, 11:14
That is great that the got the money to bridge the shortfall. It would have been a shame to see all the time and money already invested go to waste. I wish somebody would tackle some of the other aircraft that no longer fly. Just seems like to much of a head ache to try and raise the money though. Hopefully that aircraft is able to celebrate more birthdays flying through the sky for many years to come.

gajit
February 25th, 2010, 12:29
I love being under the sky where a Vulcan flies . I saw it at Bournemouth Air Festival and it is just magnificent. Yet I have the feeling that its flying existance will not be sustainable.

As with anything in this world, everything (including us) has its place in time. If they cant keep a Concorde from extinction i fear the worst.

I will definately attempt to watch it fly again ASAP and sincerely hope i am wrong.

Yours, the voice of Doom.

Paul K
February 25th, 2010, 13:39
Once again, TVOC and the future of XH558 defies gravity. I fear she will lurch to her final financial crisis before much longer.

Ken Stallings
February 25th, 2010, 15:45
I think the Avro Vulcan is the most asthetically beautiful bomber ever made by man.

It's a toss up for me if the Spitfire or the Mustang take the prize for fighters.

But it's kind of interesting that as aircraft go, the Brits have the bomber contest won hands down and is on the short list for classic fighters also!

Now, about those electrical systems ... :icon_lol:

Ken

Matt Wynn
February 25th, 2010, 16:02
I think the Avro Vulcan is the most asthetically beautiful bomber ever made by man.

It's a toss up for me if the Spitfire or the Mustang take the prize for fighters.

But it's kind of interesting that as aircraft go, the Brits have the bomber contest won hands down and is on the short list for classic fighters also!

Now, about those electrical systems ... :icon_lol:

Ken

I'm on that same fence as you there Ken, Mustang or Spitfire... 2 classic Fighters, both icons in their own right... Bombers well theres some severe style points for the British Kit, the entire V-Bomber force were beautiful, theres 2 Vulcans in the UK that are listed as 'active' XH558 Flies for the public and XM655 is OK for fast taxi... I'll be at RIAT this year and i'll definately be getting some shots of the old girl, RIAT 2009 saw the B-52 overfly the vulcan holding on the runway, then once both had finished they both taxiied down the runway together, such an iconic sight... anyways Vulcans Electricals were and are always a nightmare, thank goodness they don't have to play with the 90-way :icon_lol:

http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/media/riat09/images/34539/b52-and-vulcan-in-the-rain-at-riat-2009.jpg

^ Linked it due to the image Scale :salute:

SkippyBing
February 25th, 2010, 22:05
Yet I have the feeling that its flying existance will not be sustainable.

I tend to agree, I'm sure the original proposal when they got lottery funding was for them to have a sustainable business plan funding XH558 via air show appearances and sponsorship etc. However every year they have to bring up the threat of grounding her to raise more money from the public, I think the plan is for her to be flying for 10 years before final retirement but I can't see that happening unless they get their act together.

tigisfat
February 25th, 2010, 22:08
However every year they have to bring up the threat of grounding her to raise more money from the public, I think the plan is for her to be flying for 10 years before final retirement but I can't see that happening unless they get their act together.

Either that or their plan involves threatening everyone with grounding her to keep getting money. If that was their plan, then it's working. :icon_lol:

Paul K
February 25th, 2010, 23:24
Either that or their plan involves threatening everyone with grounding her to keep getting money. If that was their plan, then it's working. :icon_lol:

It was never their plan, neither do they threaten. She's an expensive aircraft to operate and maintain, and in the current financial climate, sponsorship money has become very difficult to secure. I think everyone here accepts that TVOC has had little choice other than to fall back on the goodwill of the British public.

centuryseries
February 26th, 2010, 10:04
They were hoping get some decent corporate sponsors.

I guess if we weren't commited to overseas wars it could've found a place in the BBMF funding from the MOD.

I believe this could well be the last year, I can't see her surviving much longer, I thought the end was nigh this month - it was only by extremely good fortune that she will soldier on this year.

I agree on the aesthetics - pure beauty.

SkippyBing
February 26th, 2010, 10:29
I guess if we weren't commited to overseas wars it could've found a place in the BBMF funding from the MOD.Probably not even then, I think it'd close to double their budget and place too much of a drain on resources to keep the other aircraft flying. From what I've heard the BBMF is pretty much lost in the accounting errors running Coningsby.

djscoo
February 26th, 2010, 10:31
They were hoping get some decent corporate sponsors.

I'll bet Red Bull would sponsor them as long as the get to put their logo on the tail...

Gibbage
February 26th, 2010, 13:24
I think I have gained a soft spot for the Victor myself. Those brits sure can make some interesting aircaft! :salute:

Paul K
February 26th, 2010, 13:50
I think I have gained a soft spot for the Victor myself. Those brits sure can make some interesting aircaft! :salute:

The Victor was the largest British warplane to go supersonic.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/Geomitrak/1360859.jpg

She was also the last V-bomber to return to the sky...albeit, by accident !

centuryseries
February 28th, 2010, 02:51
The Victor was the largest British warplane to go supersonic.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/Geomitrak/1360859.jpg

She was also the last V-bomber to return to the sky...albeit, by accident !

Yeah the only time I didn't get to Bruntingthorpe and I missed it :icon_lol:

Paul K
February 28th, 2010, 10:25
Yeah the only time I didn't get to Bruntingthorpe and I missed it :icon_lol:

I feel your pain, matey. No doubt you've seen the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3HaeYVlBw8

centuryseries
March 1st, 2010, 10:06
Yeah pretty dangerous :icon_lol: