PDA

View Full Version : HU: Dutch Harbor

vora
February 25th, 2010, 03:18
Don't know if it was posted yet but here's a very nice piece of Alaskan scenery incoming:
Dutch Harbor
http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=32689

Screenshots look awsome.

Dain Arns
February 25th, 2010, 07:08
I say it too much but, WOW! :jump: :icon_lol:
Great details everywhere.
I like sceneries like that.
They look good all over, but also have so many little details to find, close up.

lifejogger
February 25th, 2010, 07:52
That looks like it is going to be some excellent scenery, a great addtion to all of the other Alaska scenery.

MCDesigns
February 25th, 2010, 09:56
While it looks like a great scenery and one that has been needed for awhile, I am with jankees and I can't help but be dissapointed in the photoreal parts around the arport. I would think a commercial developer would have access to/be using better sat imagery that what you can get freely. I just checked and I can have a similar photoreal part of that scenery myself in 10 minutes. Also in some of the screens, it looks like default buildings just sitting on the grass, hope this isn't what the final will look like.

falcon409
February 25th, 2010, 10:22
I'd have to agree Michael, especially if this is an Aerosoft release. It appears to be somewhat below their normal standards. Since I was the king of default buildings in my sceneries, I can spot far more default buildings than should be included in a commercial release. While they obviously have many custom buildings they have also relied on a more than ample use of default objects as well.

Dain Arns
February 25th, 2010, 11:18
It was just announced in development, yesterday.
The pictures are titled 'alpha'.
This is months away from being released.
Probably sometime this late summer or fall.

Way too many carts being put in front of the horse, at this time...

mfitch
February 25th, 2010, 13:35
I just checked and I can have a similar photoreal part of that scenery myself in 10 minutes.

Attention to Alaska is certainly of interest in my flying. I have just barely begun to enjoy UTX Alaska and seen only parts of Tongass Fjords.

Out of curiosity where did you find the scenery or images? High res images of Alaska are rare in terms of total square footage for an obvious reason. Even a few feet out of Anchorage leaves one with scant imagery at any price, and the terrain data is low res and very old (glaciers have literally moved faster). I would love to see more detailed and up-to-date imagery.

Cag40Navy
February 25th, 2010, 14:06
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ET!

fsafranek
February 25th, 2010, 18:33
In a past career I used to provide tech support for a video store software company. One of our customers was a chain of small stores across the country with a remote location up in Alaska at a place called Dutch Harbor. I remember talking to a woman there a couple of times and the phone call was bounced off a satellite. The combination of her accent and the satellite delay made for interesting conversations.

Years later when I used to drive down to Tom Gibson's house with some other founders of FreeFlight Design Shop we would practice landing Convair 580's and the Lockheed L-188 Electra at Durch Harbor. That was great fun.

I'm really looking forward to this release.
:ernae:

tigisfat
February 25th, 2010, 22:23
I agree with the poster at Aerosoft's forums. I would love it if the Northwestern were there, and some of the other ships too. Phil Harris's death was one of the saddest events in the spotlight this year. He really was a good guy.

I'm going to assume (since you guys brought it up) that the imagery up there isn't the best. The Aleutians probably aren't known for google's 'street view', eh guys?

harleyman
February 26th, 2010, 03:48
I'm going to assume (since you guys brought it up) that the imagery up there isn't the best. The Aleutians probably aren't known for google's 'street view', eh guys?

Yea Tigs...probably not....

But inspite of all the default buildings and photo real I really like the scenery...

Has anyone seen a potential price by chance ?

jmig
February 26th, 2010, 03:57
SOB....just when you think you are through having to buy scenery packages...

Dangit, Like a fine wine, FSX is getting better and better all the time.