PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Spitfire!

ndicki
February 24th, 2010, 23:10
I thought that there weren't enough MkXIV skins around - one of the reasons is simply that it wasn't that common an aircraft, and there are not so many decent photos or profiles that I know of. Of course, if if I got the Osprey Griffon-engined aces, it would help...

I don't know about releasing this one - you can't see it, but the red stripe goes a bit wonky on the starboard cowling bulge. No idea of the history - it just looked nice!

alain95
February 25th, 2010, 01:04
Hi Nigel,

Spitfire F.Mk.21Serial: LA717 1947.

ndicki
February 25th, 2010, 01:31
Correct. It was painted this way for the 1947 Blackpool Air Race. RN201 is actually just pretending to be a Mk21. (For info, Spitfire mark numbers 20 and higher are given in Arabic numerals; this was generalised in 1948 for all new types. So a Meteor MkIII is a MkIII, but a Mk8 is a Mk8.)

It won't be the only MkXIV pretending to be a Mk21 or 22...

alain95
February 25th, 2010, 01:46
...of model numbers, lighted by Ndicki

Thank you :applause:
FFD Alain95

ndicki
February 25th, 2010, 02:26
Sarcasm will get you nowhere!

This is looking more like it.

Pat Pattle
February 25th, 2010, 03:22
Very nice indeed! :applause::applause:

The immediate post war era is quite fascinating.

grizzly50
February 25th, 2010, 04:31
I thought that there weren't enough MkXIV skins around - one of the reasons is simply that it wasn't that common an aircraft, and there are not so many decent photos or profiles that I know of. Of course, if if I got the Osprey Griffon-engined aces, it would help...

I don't know about releasing this one - you can't see it, but the red stripe goes a bit wonky on the starboard cowling bulge. No idea of the history - it just looked nice!

:kilroy:Nigel, that looks very good. You have a PM.:d

ndicki
February 25th, 2010, 04:44
Ah.... Things become clearer! Cheers, Kasey! :jump: :salute:

ndicki
February 25th, 2010, 04:50
Very nice indeed! :applause::applause:

The immediate post war era is quite fascinating.

It's almost as though they wanted to go back to the good old Hendon days and forget about that little bout of unpleasantness in-between times! That is in fact almost certainly the psychological reason. Meanwhile, the real future of the RAF was clearly not going to allow it to return to its former status as the most exclusive flying-club in the World, and they could see that even then.

Pat Pattle
February 25th, 2010, 07:24
It's almost as though they wanted to go back to the good old Hendon days and forget about that little bout of unpleasantness in-between times! That is in fact almost certainly the psychological reason. Meanwhile, the real future of the RAF was clearly not going to allow it to return to its former status as the most exclusive flying-club in the World, and they could see that even then.

Yes, they even started using the old squadron colours again, re-using the style of markings applied to the pre-war Harts, Bulldogs & Hinds etc. with the chequers and stripes. Personally I think that type of silver scheme looks great on the early jets.

Sooooo Nigel.......if you have time to do a post war Meteor and Vampire......! :)

ndicki
February 25th, 2010, 08:12
Already done a Vampire! Admittedly, an RRAF one... Long time ago.

hairyspin
February 25th, 2010, 11:11
Yes, they even started using the old squadron colours again, re-using the style of markings applied to the pre-war Harts, Bulldogs & Hinds etc. with the chequers and stripes. Personally I think that type of silver scheme looks great on the early jets.:)

The immediate post-war DH Hornets sported the same schemes for a short while and looked quite spiffing. Now if we only had a Hornet for CFS3.....!

pete1
February 25th, 2010, 13:18
that looks great Nigel,if you like silver spit 14's have a google for The Fighter Collections Mv293.

ndicki
February 25th, 2010, 23:06
Thanks - looks good. Pity we don't have cut-down fuselage and/or clipped wing models for the MkIX/XVI and XIV. I really like the cut down XIV...

Pat Pattle
February 26th, 2010, 04:01
A bubble canopy Spit would be an excellent addition as would the Seafire XVII (I think that's the one) for Korean missions. :) :)

ndicki
February 26th, 2010, 05:44
For Korea, you're really looking at the Seafire Mk47. Ugly brute that has next to nothing in common with the early MkIs and IIs... Basically, it's a navalised Mk22/24. But you're right to mention the XVII, because that was also in service at the time. As far as I can tell, they were never deployed east of Suez, however.

This is basic but useful reading - http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_supermarine_seafire.html

lewis11777
February 26th, 2010, 15:25

Nigel please release this, thats a great looking skin!

sky pilot
March 8th, 2010, 11:02
Sarcasm will get you nowhere!

This is looking more like it.
I want to know when you have it done So I can have one too! Send me a E-mail when I can det it and where please ?
sky pilot a k akrobert wyant airplanerc2@nwi.net:jump:

MajorMagee
March 8th, 2010, 13:43
Do you mean this one?

New Add-On Library Link (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=12&linkid=16)

lewis11777
March 9th, 2010, 02:01

Nigel thanks, this is a great looking skin! :salute:

lewis11777
March 9th, 2010, 02:02
Thanks Major for that link! The new SOH download system is a bit confusing to say the least.

:isadizzy:

ndicki
March 9th, 2010, 08:24
Glad to see it's found a few customers!

The new system doesn't seem to have a download counter; that's a shame, because it does give you a little boost to see how many people have downloaded things. Makes it worthwhile to know there are people out there who liked the look of it!