PDA

View Full Version : OT. Connecting PC to an HDTV?

DaveKDEN
February 24th, 2010, 18:21
Trying to figure out the best way to hook up my PC to an older HDTV...

I have dual DVI output on my NVidia 8800GTX (one's already connected to my monitor) and an S-Video out on my computer. My HDTV has a single HDMI input as well as RS-232C, S-Video, and an RGB-PC input. I have numerous single jack audio outputs on my PC, but limited L/R audio inputs on my HDTV. I'm thinking the best way to connect would be DVI to RGB-PC for video, but am unsure about audio. Also wondering if S-Video might be better than DVI to RGB-PC for video, or should I try DVI to HDMI through a splitter into the HDTV (already have an upconvert DVD player input to the HDTV through the single HDMI). The HDTV also has an RGB in Audio (RGB/DVI) input connection for audio next to the RGB (PC/DTV) video input).

Help please,
Dave

Dain Arns
February 24th, 2010, 18:46
As I understand it HDMI is the best to hook up to.
That is how I have hooked up my HDTV to my PC.
I haven't had any issues and I love the quality picture.

DaveKDEN
February 24th, 2010, 19:25
As I understand it HDMI is the best to hook up to.
That is how I have hooked up my HDTV to my PC.
I haven't had any issues and I love the quality picture.

Do you have HDMI output on your PC, or do you use a DVI to HDMI cable?

daverbrown
February 24th, 2010, 19:36
I believe the order of best signal quality to the TV is:

HDMI-best and single connector - may contain audio signal as well
Component- 5 connections -Red/Green/Blue RCA jacks for video - separate Red/White RCA jacks for audio
Composite - 3 connections - Yellow RCA jack for video - Red/White RCA jacks for audio
S-Video - Similair to composite in quality
F-connector - 1 connection -75ohm coax cable

Hope this helps you...

kilo delta
February 25th, 2010, 03:42
Use a DVI-HDMI cable like this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24301 . Bear in mind that this will only deal with the PC's video output. To get sound you'll need to run another cable to your TV....or better yet your home cinema system (ideally optical out cable from PC to sound system).:)

DaveKDEN
February 25th, 2010, 05:16
Use a DVI-HDMI cable like this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24301 . Bear in mind that this will only deal with the PC's video output. To get sound you'll need to run another cable to your TV....or better yet your home cinema system (ideally optical out cable from PC to sound system).:)

Thanks. I am concerned about making sure the sound plays with the video. Don't have a home cinema system (yet). That's why I'm thinking about the RGB-PC video and audio input on my HDTV.

Dave

rvn817j
February 25th, 2010, 06:13
Kilo Delta is correct about video and audio signal separation, but in lieu of a DVI to HDMI cable (which could be more expensive) you can just use a straight HDMI cable (i.e., both ends HDMI) with a DVI to HDMI converter attached to the DVI out on you graphics card. The last 3 or 4 video cards I purchased came with a DVI to HDMI converter. Remember, the DVI signal is video only and you will need a separate line for audio to your HDTV or sound system or computer speakers.

Dain Arns
February 25th, 2010, 06:51
Do you have HDMI output on your PC, or do you use a DVI to HDMI cable?

I have HDMI to HDMI on mine. :kilroy:

Kilo Delta is correct about video and audio signal separation, but in lieu of a DVI to HDMI cable (which could be more expensive) you can just use a straight HDMI cable (i.e., both ends HDMI) with a DVI to HDMI converter attached to the DVI out on you graphics card. The last 3 or 4 video cards I purchased came with a DVI to HDMI converter. Remember, the DVI signal is video only and you will need a separate line for audio to your HDTV or sound system or computer speakers.

Right. Seems like most cards come with an adapter these days.
Even if you do it that way, it's still awesome! :d

DaveKDEN
February 25th, 2010, 06:52
Thanks for all the info!

Dave