PDA

View Full Version : So I loaded up my new copy of GTR Evo ....

wombat666
November 6th, 2008, 01:40
And was not very pleased!
Aside from some very silly cars and a couple of decent circuits it's just 'Race 07' in a party frock!
Drives well but I hate the 'sunshades' on all the car on the open wheelers, Radicals and Caterhams.
:banghead:
Aaaaaargh!

wombat666
November 7th, 2008, 08:02
Take #2.
Actually, it runs very smoothly, and my old favourites (Caterham, F-BMW, F3000) are better than before, but we should really be able to get rid of those F-----g sunshades ...............:censored:
It might just be me but adding repaints is not very clear thus far.
Persistance should pay off in the end.

Ferry_vO
November 7th, 2008, 12:33
Have a look here, Wombat: http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=300515

It's for Race07, so it 'should' work in GTR Evo as well..?

:)

IanP
November 10th, 2008, 03:06
Adding add-ons to GTRE, especially the downloaded version, is something of a black art that people on most of the racing forums don't seem to want to talk about, which is stupid.

I resolved it by opening an ini file, reading the contents and creating the add-on paths where described - I now have a number of additional cars and tracks installed.

I can't list them here right now, because I'm at work, but will look at doing so later if anyone wants to know?

Ian P.

wombat666
November 10th, 2008, 06:54
Yes please Ian!
I'm playing around with deleting cars I don't like, but some proper guidance would be most appreciated.
What really irks me is all the 'information' points at using one's 'Steam' folder, and I pointedly ordered the offline steam-free version!
:isadizzy:

IanP
November 11th, 2008, 03:47
Steam was the problem, because unlike the boxed version, any empty folders are not delivered by Steam, so we didn't get useful little things like "gamedata" to put anything in!

The fact that the answer was as easy as creating the directories was apparently lost on all the racing forums, who just ignored anyone who asked the question - and there were a lot of people.

Personally, I would advise against deleting anything from the base package, as doing so can cause add-ons which call on those parts not to work. You can always reinstall when you break it, though... :d - I'll post the locations this evening when I get back in.

Ian P.

IanP
November 12th, 2008, 08:07
Very belated, but here's the answer - you may want to confirm this using your own Config.ini file from within the Race07/GTRe folder:

Sounds, Locations and Talent directories all go under the Gamedata directory, as with previous sims based on this engine - I had to create Gamedata before I could put them in it.

Teams (i.e. add-on cars) go under the ROOT - i.e. at the same level as Gamedata and the Race07 executable folder.

So, for example, I have:
...\Race07\teams\GT_Pro_Addon\ALZEN Porsche
...\Race07\Gamedata\Talent\*.rcd (drivername.rcd)
...\Race07\Gamedata\Locations\LagunaSeca

Repaints for default cars simply drop the file in the "CustomSkins directory, apparently. They should apply to a car automatically. Er... Yeah. Right. I've not tried it yet, but that sounds unlikely at best!

So far, everything I have installed works.

Hope that helps!

Ian P.

wombat666
November 13th, 2008, 05:09
Most appreciated Ian.
I'll give your information a run over the coming weekend.
As for 'belated', not a problem, you came through and that's all I ask.
:applause:

IanP
November 14th, 2008, 02:18
Having read a couple of threads on repaints going in the "CustomSkins" directory, it sounds as though they come with their own little ini/cfg file that tells the game which car to apply them to. Unfortunately I can't test right now because I'm not going to try driving a racing car with a Saitek Yoke, pedals and three throttle quads, but that sounds a lot more likely than just dropping the repaint into the folder and it 'just working'.

Incidentally, those ALZEN Porsches are fun.

Ian P.