PDA

View Full Version : F-35A Lightning II progress

Dino Cattaneo
February 24th, 2010, 01:53
Hi all,

I just wanted to share some pics of the latest build of my F-35 project... external model is complete, flight model seems OK, VC modeling is done. The only thing yet to be completed is the MFD functionality (roughly 80% done... )...

It will be payware, but I am confident that the price will be very reasonable - and adequate to its quality. I am not shooting for maximum realism, nor I have the means to compete with some of the best-in-class military jets out there... but I am happy with the current level of quality and I hope most users will be satisfied.

Currently only the AA-1 (first F-35 prototype) is depicted. But AF-1 (first weight optimized bird) is planned, as well as a "production" F-35A model (accurate to the best of the publicly available info).

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6952/f35beta1.jpg

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2237/f35beta2p.jpg

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2971/f35beta3.jpg

SirBenn21
February 24th, 2010, 02:23
looks good. :applause:

Good luck with completing it. :salute:

Ben

jmig
February 24th, 2010, 03:29
I am looking forward to it Dino. I would gladly pay for T-45 quality.

Isn't it amazing how much simpler and uncluttered the new generation cockpits are?

crazysundog
February 24th, 2010, 03:34
Wow, looking good Dino!

That will be a purchase from me as well..:jump:

pernik
February 24th, 2010, 03:38
Definite purchase for me. Looks incredible.

Dino Cattaneo
February 24th, 2010, 03:58
Thanks for the appreciation...

as for the "user interface", and how much it is modern and different here is an interesting video about the F-35B that shows some cockpit operation:

http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/perabrown/4344

(Note: my FSX rendition will lack some of the functionality you see in this video)

merida72
February 24th, 2010, 04:08
Hi Dino!

very interesting video

are increasingly impatient!

When you plan for the publication?

falcon409
February 24th, 2010, 04:21
Beautiful job Dino, really looking forward to this one for sure.:salute:

strykerpsg
February 24th, 2010, 04:26
Holy Cr*p Dino, that looks awesome! Gonna post this post over at Iris so those awaiting their release know there's a new sheriff in town that can satisfy their thirst while iris decides what they are doing with their F-35 variant. What are the chances of making a C variant for carrier duty? I believe the only difference, externally, is a bigger wing surface, folding wings and beefier gear. It would compliment your T-45, VRS Super Hornet and Xavier's carrier fantastically.

My credit card awaits your release.

Matt

gajit
February 24th, 2010, 04:29
Yes - My money is yours :jump::jump:

falcon409
February 24th, 2010, 04:30
. . . . .Gonna post this post over at Iris so those awaiting their release know there's a new sheriff in town that can satisfy their thirst while iris decides what they are doing with their F-35 variant.
Matt
I wouldn't think David would appreciate that very much, someone advertising another payware aircraft on his site!! I wouldn't do that if I were you.:salute:

strykerpsg
February 24th, 2010, 04:32
Hmmm, perhaps you are right. Admittedly, just posted it, but will go in an edit it. Would hope it might give them some push for their release, as it also looks great. Your point is taken though.

Matt

Dino Cattaneo
February 24th, 2010, 04:48
It is not my intention to compete with anyone - and I'm sure that IRIS F-35 will be excellent.
The only reason why my model is payware is that development of detailed FSX aircraft is becoming more and more complex and time consuming (not to mention seldom acquisition of pay-for material, such as images, models and documentation) - and the effort it requires has exceeded what I can afford without a "financial justification"...

I am not sure when I will be able to publish it - but it is likely it will take at least another month before it is complete.

As for the other versions, the differences are not huge but their impact on the external model is severe. I will stick to the F-35A for now - and will consider B and C only after the F-35A is done.

peter12213
February 24th, 2010, 05:15
Dino while it may not be your intention to compete with anyone, I'm sure a few developers will be taking note of you as an outstanding modeler, this project looks just amazing and as probibly one if not the most technologically advanced aircraft any where in the world I think you've done an amazing job on what still is today a quite secretive aircraft FDE and system wise! Much anticipation for this aircraft from me here!

MudMarine
February 24th, 2010, 05:29
Looks nice to me, I'm putting it on the "get" list!:applause:

JamesChams
February 24th, 2010, 05:42
@Dino Cattaneo,

She looks extremely lovely! :applause: Will you still be packaging the AA-1, AF-1 & BF-1 in one package or are they sold seperately? And, ... Whats your "desired" planned release times?

Looking forward to it... :mixedsmi::jump:
Ciao! :wavey:

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Spiritual_Journey.html)

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

Warrant
February 24th, 2010, 05:49
It's on the get-list!

Job well done so far, Dino :medals:

Trans_23
February 24th, 2010, 06:08
Just another reason to get FSX installed. :applause:

Rick_Piper
February 24th, 2010, 06:18
Looks really Cool Deano :icon29:

Regards
Rick

MCDesigns
February 24th, 2010, 06:29
fantastic work Dino! While I am not a big fan of the way this new fighter looks, your version looks like something that would be very enjoyable in the sim, looking forward to it!
Don't suppose there is a way to include a less detailed version for AI purposes, always great to have a virtual wingman or populate some of the ramps on the mil bases.

JamesChams
February 24th, 2010, 07:06
@Dino Cattaneo,

...Don't suppose there is a way to include a less detailed version for AI purposes, always great to have a virtual wingman or populate some of the ramps on the mil bases.Now that is an excellent idea; I'm all for it... If you have time to include it, I, too, would appreciate that very much! :jump:
Grazie! :wavey:

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Spiritual_Journey.html)

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

Dino Cattaneo
February 24th, 2010, 07:26
Once again, thanks for you appreciation!

The initial release will include AA-1, AF-1 and a F-35A in 58th Fighter Wing colors (which I understand should be the main training units for both US and non-US crews - and the first unit to receive F-35A).

Low poly model would be cool...but I honestly don't think I will ever have the time to do it.

As for the release date... it is done when it is done. I really do not know when I will be able to release it - it will take at least one month - but that is a best case scenario.

As for how the F-35 looks... Yes, may be the Lightning II looks a little fat... but I like it. And remember it could have been a lot worse...the Fugly Fighter could have won the JSF fly-off :mixedsmi: :

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/types/usa/boeing/x-32/x-32a_ff_00d08901.jpg

EDIT: By the way, I have to confess that when I saw the X-32 and X-35 proposals, my money was on the X-32 as I thought the X-35 lift system was amazing but too complicated...

JamesChams
February 24th, 2010, 07:42

As for how the F-35 looks... Yes, may be the Lightning II looks a little fat... but I like it. But remember it could have been a lot worse :mixedsmi: :

LOL :icon_lol: - I love that joke of yours, Dino!

Thank you for the info. I'll wait patiently and I hope you make them all (if you can) - I'll sure buy them all even if they are seperate packages.

Grazie Mille! :wavey:

EDIT: My Money was on the X-35 because she looked "sexier" to me. LOL ;) But, if I'd been asked to fly the X-32, you can bet I would have in a heart beat...

Slug Flyer
February 24th, 2010, 08:25
Once again, thanks for you appreciation!

The initial release will include AA-1, AF-1 and a F-35A in 58th Fighter Wing colors (which I understand should be the main training units for both US and non-US crews - and the first unit to receive F-35A).

Low poly model would be cool...but I honestly don't think I will ever have the time to do it.

As for the release date... it is done when it is done. I really do not know when I will be able to release it - it will take at least one month - but that is a best case scenario.

As for how the F-35 looks... Yes, may be the Lightning II looks a little fat... but I like it. And remember it could have been a lot worse...the Fugly Fighter could have won the JSF fly-off :mixedsmi: :

EDIT: By the way, I have to confess that when I saw the X-32 and X-35 proposals, my money was on the X-32 as I thought the X-35 lift system was amazing but too complicated...

One thing to be said for the looks of the X-32, you could have painted one heck of a shark's mouth on that air intake.

peter12213
February 24th, 2010, 08:44
I always liked the X-32, thought it was a cool looking aircraft!

Bomber_12th
February 24th, 2010, 09:30
I'm really looking forward to this, Dino, and I think it is an excellent choice of aircraft to model! Everything looks brilliant, and I have always been a fan of the F-35's styling.

raptor19
February 24th, 2010, 09:32
Looking good Dino, definitely going to get it! Don't forget to post here when and where it becomes available. :applause::applause:

Odie
February 24th, 2010, 09:54
Dino, I've got the hangar crew busy clearing and setting up a spot next to your most excellent FSX Tomcat!! Very nice looking a/c and will be a good addition to the hangar ! :applause::applause:

hey_moe
February 24th, 2010, 10:17
Hi Dino, another outstanding job. I have always liked your work and you are a asset to the FSX community. I am sure our members are looking forward to the release. If you need a beta tester, I am available. If you don't need a beta tester :crybaby: make real sure I am the first customer to get this so I can tease these pop farts:icon_lol:

gajit
February 24th, 2010, 10:59
Dino while it may not be your intention to compete with anyone, I'm sure a few developers will be taking note of you as an outstanding modeler, this project looks just amazing and as probibly one if not the most technologically advanced aircraft any where in the world I think you've done an amazing job on what still is today a quite secretive aircraft FDE and system wise! Much anticipation for this aircraft from me here!

Well said Peter. Dino deserves financial recognition.

Dino Cattaneo
February 25th, 2010, 05:54
"you could have painted one heck of a shark's mouth on that air intake" - That was my second thought when I first saw a picture of the X-32 !

Then I have to confess the first thought was "it is looking functional - and will win the JSF competition"... I liked both the X-32 and X-35 designs, although I was a little skeptical about the X-35 lift system.
While the X-32 looks fat and stubby... it has the menacing look of the things that are built to do their job, rather than please the eye (e.g. A-10). I liked it.

Then, given the differences and refinements in the design of the F-35 compared to the X-35, I wonder how the "F-32" would have been...

@Hey_moe
Thanks, but I already have more beta testers than what I can handle... In fact, the project already went through a round of Alpha testing (while the Beta will be likely release next week end)...

BTW more details on this project can be found on my blog: indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com

peter12213
February 25th, 2010, 12:44
Perhaps Dino one day in the future you may turn your gifted hands to an X-32 lol :salute:

XLR8
February 25th, 2010, 13:50
Great.....I have been wanting this plane from the time I seen it. I see it fly over my house every once and a while. Fantastic work. Defantly buying it.

Got any plans on a F-22 Raptor ?

VaporZ
February 26th, 2010, 00:02
Superb Digital ArtWork Dino !!!
Wow !!!
And this "could probably be" the next Fighter for Canada.

Do you plan the operational Helmet for the pilot of your F-35A ?
Take a look below
:applause:
VaporZ

Dino Cattaneo
February 26th, 2010, 00:40
Thank you all for your appreciation!
Yesterday night I completed the 7th MFD page (out of the 8 I've planned)... So I'm almost done for the Beta :-)

@peter12213
In fact I've started making one several years ago - but was not looking very good so I aborted that project. Well, I should have said "not looking similar to the real thing"... since ugliness could have been a sign of good modeling in this case :-)

@VaporZ
Those are the same pictures I've used for modeling the helmet :-)

@XLR8
No plans for a Raptor (nor Eurofighter as others asked) - but I am unsure of what I will do after the F-35 (apart from a break!). There are several things I'd like to do - One thing I will do almost for sure is upgrade both the T-45C and F-14D.

VaporZ
February 26th, 2010, 01:39
Super Dino !

Do you plan a "fixed front screen projected" HUD ?
or
Do you plan a "head moving projected" HUD that could be
linked with TrackIR equipment ?

Thanks for the info
:wiggle:
VaporZ

Dino Cattaneo
February 26th, 2010, 02:37
@ VaporZ

I've tried different solutions, including superimposed 2D HUD (which followed the eyesight)... but final solution will be fixed in space - for both readability, playability and collimation reasons...and also because it is my undestanding that this is the way it works in the real thing (i.e. flight data is shown like if it was on a wide FOV HUD, while only few aim/tactical data actually follow the eyesight)

I am considering to have a optional superimposition of mock weapon information to follow the eyesight - it will be only cosmetic, but may be fun for trackIr users...

Jivko Rusev has supplied an excellent and accurate HMD custom gauge, based on Scott Printz's HUD code.
This is how the HMD is looking right now:
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7799/f35hmd.jpg

VaporZ
February 26th, 2010, 03:22
Thanks for these infos Dino !

What can I say ........... I will definitly buy your FSX F-35 !!!

Keep us informed of the progression of your project.
:mixedsmi:
VaporZ

JamesChams
February 26th, 2010, 04:49
@Dino Cattaneo,

She's looking lovely as ever... :applause:

Is there any time for you to add "LOTUS-Style" lights to the model? So, that we can have a COLLIMATED HUD and see the Taxi/Landing lights out of the VC as well.

Grazie! :salute:

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

peter12213
February 26th, 2010, 08:53
That HUD looks great Dino!

tigisfat
February 26th, 2010, 21:26
Without doubt, the blue angels and thunderbirds will eventually fly this aircraft. I'm wondering what the paint schemes will look like. :kilroy:

peter12213
February 27th, 2010, 15:17
Wouldn't they fly the F18E instead?

Dino Cattaneo
February 28th, 2010, 23:02
@JamesChams

The new HUD is collimated - and should work nicely with Freetrack / TrackIR.
...as for the "Lotus Style" lights - I am not sure what you mean... Guess I have to check Lotus' L-39?

@Peter12213

Thanks - the new HUD looks very good indeed, but credit for that goes to Jivko Rusev and Scott Printz.

By the way, some time ago, Lockheed Martin has released some promotional F-35 renders in the Thunderbirds colors... here is one.

(image below is a render from Lockheed Martin - not a FSX screenshot)

http://attach.high-g.net/attachments/f_35a_tbird_2_601.jpg

Lionheart
February 28th, 2010, 23:25
Beautiful work Dino!

The VC is awesome and that paint work is photo realistic!

:applause: :medals: :applause:

Bill

empeck
March 1st, 2010, 00:08
...as for the "Lotus Style" lights - I am not sure what you mean... Guess I have to check Lotus' L-39?

Hi Dino, check this thread - Varmint from www.vrsimuilations.com explained how to make these lights.

http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1260387802/0#0

Dino Cattaneo
March 2nd, 2010, 00:03
@empeck

Thanks - this feature was below my radar :-)
Will look into that - although it would be a low-priority feature for the F-35.

@ all

I've finally found the time to complete the Beta 1 :-) - I will send it to the testers asap. Hopefully the product will be ready in a month or so.

peter12213
March 2nd, 2010, 06:48
Thats great news Dino!

VaporZ
April 9th, 2010, 00:45
Any "new" news about your project Dino ?

Thanks for the infos !
:wavey:
VaporZ

Dino Cattaneo
April 9th, 2010, 04:32
Well - sorry I have not updated my blog for a while... my real-life job is absobing much of my time these days.
The project is in a very good shape and close to completition.

AA-1 and AF-01 exernal models are done, while "operational" F-35 are missing a couple of minor details.
Virtual cockpit is functional and most of its bugs are gone. I'd like to rework the A/P and rearrange a couple of details. It will include a custom HUD by Neutrino (based on Scott Prinz code) that looks awesome IMHO.
Last, flight model is 99% ready. It needs a couple of minor fixes, but seems to do its job in a nice and reasonably realistic way.

I should have the Release Candidate version ready next week. I will post a couple of pictures during the weekend.

frankwi
April 9th, 2010, 04:45
Thanks for the update. I am really looking forward to this release !

Ken Stallings
April 9th, 2010, 15:36
This is some seriously nice work on this jet!

The exterior and interior work looks great already!

Cheers,

Ken

tigisfat
April 9th, 2010, 15:38
I will REALLY enjoy the inevitable blue angel and thunderbirds repaints.

Dino Cattaneo
April 12th, 2010, 00:30
I've posted a quick project update on my blog at http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/

Unfortunately I just realized that the quality of the images is very poor (my apologies - wrong compression settings)...
As for the release date... it's done when it's done. I think it needs at least 20 more work-hours - but I really can't tell when I will have that time...

4463 44644465

noddy
April 12th, 2010, 03:11
Looks great Dino, :salute:

XLR8
April 12th, 2010, 12:35
It is not my intention to compete with anyone - and I'm sure that IRIS F-35 will be excellent.
The only reason why my model is payware is that development of detailed FSX aircraft is becoming more and more complex and time consuming (not to mention seldom acquisition of pay-for material, such as images, models and documentation) - and the effort it requires has exceeded what I can afford without a "financial justification"...

I am not sure when I will be able to publish it - but it is likely it will take at least another month before it is complete.

As for the other versions, the differences are not huge but their impact on the external model is severe. I will stick to the F-35A for now - and will consider B and C only after the F-35A is done.

Great plane and detail . One of my most favorite planes . You are very talented .

I understand how this can be time consuming and expensive . I myself have no problem for paying for a plane like that , and paying for you time . Hopefully it won't be to expensive.

merida72
April 12th, 2010, 13:16
Great plane and detail . One of my most favorite planes . You are very talented .

I understand how this can be time consuming and expensive . I myself have no problem for paying for a plane like that , and paying for you time . Hopefully it won't be to expensive.

me too Dino!

I can't wait to do a bbq over Alpine valleys (by Frank) ;) ;)

strykerpsg
April 12th, 2010, 13:22
Dino, I think you'll find across the board, no one has any issues with paying for most of your work. It's simply that good. Iris does produce some good stuff, but they continously make announcments and then the plane simply fades away. So, I don't see it as a competition, but rather filling a niche. Besides, does it really make it less marketable if there are various people offering the same type bird? Look at the volumes of Airbus and Boeing birds out there, so I say bring it on. maybe it will force Iris to focus more on their forecated releases again.

Matt

XLR8
April 12th, 2010, 13:53
My plans after release and download is to create a real as I can do first test flight out of Lockheed Fort Worth .

Dino Cattaneo
April 13th, 2010, 02:33
All, thanks for the appreciation and support.

I'm doing my best for the F-35, although I had to make some assumptions and the proper simulation of several of its most advanced functions are beyond my FSX-knowledge.

@XLR8
I hope that the realism will not disappoint!
Is there any good Forth Worth NAS scenery around? I've been looking for one since the beginning of the project... I think I saw one one in development in this forum, but I thought it was never released.

jdhaenens
April 13th, 2010, 02:56
I recall that someone was making a NAS Fort Worth as well. I did one for FS9 at some point, and I think I drug the white and blue Texas ANG hangars out and donated them as an FSX object, but haven't heard since.

I attended a family get-together in Arlington last weekend and drove right past it in I-820 on the way back. Didn't have the camera, though.

Dino Cattaneo
April 13th, 2010, 03:54
I've just made a quick search and seems that Falcon409 is (was?) doing the scenery.
Initial screenshots were looking very nice, but I think he dropped the project as the scenery had an heavy impact on the frame rate. I think also he restarted the project few months ago... but I lost in on my radar...

XLR8
April 13th, 2010, 09:12
All, thanks for the appreciation and support.

I'm doing my best for the F-35, although I had to make some assumptions and the proper simulation of several of its most advanced functions are beyond my FSX-knowledge.

@XLR8
I hope that the realism will not disappoint!
Is there any good Forth Worth NAS scenery around? I've been looking for one since the beginning of the project... I think I saw one one in development in this forum, but I thought it was never released.

I heard the same thing that someone was working on one ( hopfully still are ). I did one of my own but far far from being as talented as some of these folks are .

peter12213
April 13th, 2010, 14:29
Thats a good point where to fly this thing from?

tigisfat
April 13th, 2010, 14:45
Thats a good point where to fly this thing from?

It's flying out of Fort Worth NAS, from the lockheed martin plant. You should get megascenery Ft Worth, and I've made scenery addons that populate the airfield there based on my visits.

Also, Falcon 409 made his own photoreal scenery for it, I think.

LonelyplanetXO
April 13th, 2010, 15:08
Hi Dino,
Firstly congratulations on your F-35 project - looking good! i'm an FS9 only user; regrettably trapped in the past, but a big fan of your FS9 work. One suggestion regarding the HUD on this model for the benefit of FSX'ers. You mentioned you'd played oround with a fixed 2D window to simulate a helmet mounted HUD. I did the same a while ago, adding a transparent 2D window to an existing VC to achieve the same end. The result initially was brilliant - the HUD followed my eyepoint, using trackIR provided a super-realistic and incredibly entertaining experience. The problem was that each time i restarted FS9 the window resized itself, spoiling both the position and appearance. I'm sure that the size/position can be locked, someone with more knowledge than me could resolve that. Adding that 2d window as selectable and making your fixed HUD able to be switched on/off would give users the best of both worlds. Your thoughts?
Cheers LPXO

falcon409
April 13th, 2010, 16:29
I've just made a quick search and seems that Falcon409 is (was?) doing the scenery. Initial screenshots were looking very nice, but I think he dropped the project as the scenery had an heavy impact on the frame rate. I think also he restarted the project few months ago... but I lost in on my radar...
Yea, the initial project became so taxing on fps, that I dropped it temporarily. I restarted it after downloading a better satellite image and starting over from scratch, then had problems with autogen not wanting to show up, except when it felt like it.

I was on a short kick to load Military AI using the MAIW addons, only to have their AFCAD (which is no where near as accurate as they claim it to be) overwrite the one I spent long hours perfecting. That has to be completely redone sorry to say. I don't know when the F-35 will be complete, but maybe NAS Fort Worth, JRB, Carswell Field will be ready in time for the release.

Skittles
April 13th, 2010, 16:40
Hi Dino,
Firstly congratulations on your F-35 project - looking good! i'm an FS9 only user; regrettably trapped in the past, but a big fan of your FS9 work. One suggestion regarding the HUD on this model for the benefit of FSX'ers. You mentioned you'd played oround with a fixed 2D window to simulate a helmet mounted HUD. I did the same a while ago, adding a transparent 2D window to an existing VC to achieve the same end. The result initially was brilliant - the HUD followed my eyepoint, using trackIR provided a super-realistic and incredibly entertaining experience. The problem was that each time i restarted FS9 the window resized itself, spoiling both the position and appearance. I'm sure that the size/position can be locked, someone with more knowledge than me could resolve that. Adding that 2d window as selectable and making your fixed HUD able to be switched on/off would give users the best of both worlds. Your thoughts?
Cheers LPXO

I'm a little confused.

Doesn't the FSX Acceleration F18 have this? Just press Shift-1 and it will bring up the HUD which follows your viewpoint.

Dino Cattaneo
April 13th, 2010, 23:12
Well, as for the HMD I've experimented few different solutions... including a cool one in which all the "fixed" elements followed the eyesight (as superimposed 2D panel) and the collimated ones were fixed in space (as part of the 3d model).
That was looking cool - and worked fine with head tracking... but it is not the way it works in the real thing...

As far as I understand, the real HMD has a "Virtual HUD", that is the HUD data are collimated and "fixed" in space like if it was and exceptionally big real HUD. This is the way it works also on my latest build.

Only few data (mostly tactical / weapon information) "follow" the head position...apart from the fact that the HMD can provide "enhanced reality" and night vision. That being said I'll probably add some sort of basic (if somewhat redundant) 2D "superimposable" panel.

Dino Cattaneo
April 14th, 2010, 00:02
@ Falcon409

"maybe NAS Fort Worth, JRB, Carswell Field will be ready in time for the release" - that is great news!
EDIT: Just saw your thread about dropping that scenery - sorry to read that, but thanks anyway.

@ tigisfat

Were can I download your additions to the MegasceneryX version? Most of my test flights are done with that scenery...