PDA

View Full Version : OT:Michael Crichton

wombat666
November 5th, 2008, 22:04
Best-selling author Michael Crichton has died in Los Angeles aged 66 after a "courageous and private battle against cancer", his family has said.
He penned Jurassic Park, as well as books like Congo and Disclosure, all of which were adapted into films.
His books have sold more than 150m copies. He also created the long-running US hospital TV drama ER.
"He will be profoundly missed by those whose lives he touched," his family said in a statement.
Crichton is survived by his wife, Sherri, and daughter, Taylor.

While most people will remember Michael Chrichton for 'Jurassic Park', he wrote widely on diverse subjects, one of his better novels covering the crash and investigation of an airliner.
My own favourite remains 'The Andromena Strain'.
He'll be missed by those of us who enjoyed his imagination and inspiration.
:kilroy:

luckydog
November 5th, 2008, 23:10
He never wrote a book I didn't like.......

Andromeda Strain
Congo
Jurassic Park
State of Fear (on global warming)
were my favorites............
RIP

Roger
November 6th, 2008, 01:35
Sad to hear.
The most recent of his works I read was "Airframe" mentioned by Wombat above and was surprised that it was never made into a film.

txnetcop
November 6th, 2008, 02:02
Michael will be terribly missed. He was a very intelligent writer. I agree with LuckyDog, he never wrote a book I did not like.
Ted

lifejogger
November 6th, 2008, 04:01
Very sad to hear this he was a great writer. Besides being a writer he was a Medical Doctor and graduate of Harvard Medical School.

Ralf Roggeveen
November 6th, 2008, 04:10
He wrote Westworld, another very good movie. Essentially the same plot as Jurassic Park if you think about it, but still excellent. Tragic that he died so young.

GT182
November 6th, 2008, 04:47
What a shame..... he was one of my favorite authors too. As Lucky and Ted said, "He never wrote a book I didn't like.......".

cheezyflier
November 6th, 2008, 04:59
rising sun was a good one also. he was an awesome writer. who will fill his shoes?

brad kaste
November 6th, 2008, 05:28
One of my favorites of his that never got the billing is "The Great Train Robbery." (1979) Starring Sean Connery,...it's a loosely based story on a true event in Victorian England. Where a train carrying A LOT of gold coins and ingots gets knocked off. Great book,....wonderful movie.

Toastmaker
November 6th, 2008, 06:48
Aw, crap. Didn't know he was suffering from cancer. One of my favorite authors too. Truly a talented storyteller.

Lateral-G
November 6th, 2008, 07:39
I grew up reading his novels.

He will be missed. :medals:

-G-

Silver Fox
November 6th, 2008, 08:26
Sad to think that the next novel to come out (sometime in 2009) will be the last from this great author.

Prey, Timeline and Next are amongst my favourite works.

cheezyflier
November 6th, 2008, 08:28
One of my favorites of his that never got the billing is "The Great Train Robbery." (1979) Starring Sean Connery,...it's a loosely based story on a true event in Victorian England. Where a train carrying A LOT of gold coins and ingots gets knocked off. Great book,....wonderful movie.

that was him??? i loved that movie!!!!

MudMarine
November 6th, 2008, 09:38
Very sad! He was one of my favorite authors........

Rami
November 6th, 2008, 10:16
A big loss to anyone who loved that genre, myself included. Rest in peace. :ernae:

Willy
November 6th, 2008, 16:51
One of my favorite authors as well. At least we still have his works.

Lionheart
November 6th, 2008, 18:00
Aw, crap. Didn't know he was suffering from cancer. One of my favorite authors too. Truly a talented storyteller.

I didnt know this either.

damn cancer... I pray that God sends a remedy soon that will destroy that evil desease...

Rest in peace Michael.

Bill

wombat666
November 6th, 2008, 22:16
I didnt know this either.
damn cancer... I pray that God sends a remedy soon that will destroy that evil desease...
Rest in peace Michael.
Bill

Pancreatic Cancer is one the most painful forms of Cancer, Bill.
So far I'm surviving, get my final results December 1.
:kilroy:

Toastmaker
November 7th, 2008, 08:05
We wish you all the best luck possible. Given that most forms of cancer are a "naturally occurring" biological event, I wonder if it's ultimate eradication will require some form of gene engineering ?