PDA

View Full Version : Web Browser Preferences

TARPSBird
February 23rd, 2010, 12:24
I need to upgrade from Internet Explorer 6. Would like to know what some of you are using. :)

mfitch
February 23rd, 2010, 12:27
My browser of choice has been Firefox for a long time. If needed (for Microsoft's web sites for instance) I use whatever Internet Explorer is current (IE8 now I think).

stiz
February 23rd, 2010, 12:31
IE8 with no problems :)

MaskRider
February 23rd, 2010, 12:32
Firefox for years now. Before that Netscape. But I keep the most up to date version of IE loaded and ready- mostly for doing my windows updates- which I do manually.

Snuffy
February 23rd, 2010, 12:37
IE8 no problem. :)

djscoo
February 23rd, 2010, 12:39
Chrome and Firefox

von Bek
February 23rd, 2010, 12:41
Chrome bad.

Firefox good, IE8 surprisingly OK.
Opera better than either.

cheezyflier
February 23rd, 2010, 13:20
OPERA RULES!!!

kilo delta
February 23rd, 2010, 13:37
Firefox for years....recently made the change to Chrome and am very happy with it.....lots of plugins too :)

Wing_Z
February 23rd, 2010, 13:37
I accidentally starting using Chrome (damaged IE install) and haven't found a reason to change.
It's fast and compact.

dogknot
February 23rd, 2010, 14:09
I went from IE6 to IE8 without a hitch. I actually like its features.
Also, have Firefox as a backup.

hey_moe
February 23rd, 2010, 16:54
Hi TB, I really like IE8, but I use FF also.No problems with either one..Mike

MarcKyle64
February 23rd, 2010, 18:50
I like Firefox. I have much less problems when I browse than I did with IE8.

harleyman
February 23rd, 2010, 19:09
IE8 forever...No problems..Did have script errors in e mail a bit, that was yahoo though...

I dont go for any addons, and keep them disabled..\\puters are for flying and keeping up with folks..

mine tells time too...LOL

cheezyflier
February 23rd, 2010, 19:29
cheezy is right, (as usual) opera really is the best!

Hi TB, I really like opera, but I use FF also. cheezy turned me on to it, and because of that, i think he's really a great guy.

opera forever...i sure am glad cheezy talked me into using this fine browswer. he's my best friend now

hey guys, don't sweat it. anything for my buds, right? :d

Navy Chief
February 23rd, 2010, 19:51
I like Firefox, but recently had to revert to an earlier version. The newest one, for some stupid reason, will not let me download. I reverted to the previous version, and all is cool again.

That's the first time I've ever had an issue with Firefox. IE8 isn't near as easy to use, in my opinion.

Chacha
February 23rd, 2010, 19:58
With NO issues...

...Love them... :jump:

gecko65
February 23rd, 2010, 20:16
Firefox for years.

You may find this of some use -----> http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-web-browser.htm

fsafranek
February 23rd, 2010, 21:34
I usually run IE8. But I just noticed that the left column member section on each post is messed up a bit. Each text item broken across two lines. But when I just looked at it in FF it looks much better. Might be time to run FF as default for a while?
:ernae:

TARPSBird
February 23rd, 2010, 22:12
Thanks everybody for your comments, some good recommendations. :) Over the weekend I installed Firefox and it worked fine for a while until it went stupid for some reason and started making me log in to my home page every time I got back on the Web. Then I went to IE7 and it wouldn't let me access Internet Options from the browser toolbar. Dumped IE7 yesterday (Tuesday) and installed Google Chrome. So far so good - fast, simple to use, minimal toolbar BS, and everything works right. I'll probably check out IE8 tomorrow, but for now this Google Chrome is not bad.

Astoroth
February 23rd, 2010, 23:12
I use SeaMonkey, which is an offshoot of FireFox...Really like it.

TARPSBird
February 23rd, 2010, 23:27
I use SeaMonkey, which is an offshoot of FireFox...Really like it.
Haven't checked out SeaMonkey but I liked Firefox for the two days I used it, until I had the home page log-in problem I mentioned before. I may eventually go back to it.

wiltzei
February 23rd, 2010, 23:41
Opera.

The only this missing is an ad-blocker, but this helps a lot: http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/ coped with manual blocking (secondary button on mouse -> Block content).

The 10.5 beta is really fast.

It´s safe, mainly because crackers try to exploit IE´s and FF's security flaws due to they´re the most popular browsers in Windows environment at least.

ananda
February 24th, 2010, 01:06
This morning's Windows update contains a fix for XP, Vista and W7 to allow browser choice for users in the EU.

They have it as an important update but since I already run IE and Firefox I decided not to install it.

George

jmig
February 24th, 2010, 03:19
I use Foxfire and its sister email program Thunderbird on my home/personal computer. I use EI-6 and Outlook on my work notebook. I have to use EI to access some specialized online engineering programs that I use. One in particluar won't display correctly in Foxfire.

Lionheart
February 24th, 2010, 03:34
I was an extreme Opera man, but with the new version that came out (one version ago), I had so many crashes that I went to Safari. I am pretty impressed with Safari and it uses some cool high speed page reading technologies that make it pretty fast. Anything that saves me seconds, I appreciate.

Yes, Safari is Apple, and its better (in my humble opinion) then IE.

I have tried FF and it just didnt feel like a good browser to me. I cant explain it. (I like all the special web effects and flash animations, background music, etc. I cant see why I would want to turn them off. Thats like turning off clouds and AI traffic and autogen in FS... why??).

Bill

lifejogger
February 24th, 2010, 06:12
I use FireFox and occasionaly IE8.

empeck
February 24th, 2010, 06:16
Opera 10.50 beta :)

Bjoern
February 24th, 2010, 14:22
Firefox 3.6, the least evil of them all.

Opera - excellent, but major blunders in terms of add-ons and usability. I like the mobile version on my smartphone though.
Chrome - no plug-ins yet, also calls "home".
Safari - A 50Mb installer for a webbrowser - no, thank you.
IE8 - Look mom, I'm using the internet!!!!!!

PRB
February 24th, 2010, 14:43
IE8. Works fine. Browses. And stuff.

GT182
February 24th, 2010, 15:29
Using IE8. Been very slow loading right from the time it was installed, unlike IE6. Tried IE7 but canned that crap, and went back to IE6 with in a week.

Ferry_vO
February 24th, 2010, 15:35
IE8 but it crashes at some sites, so I keep Chrome installed as a back up.

Deckard
February 25th, 2010, 03:38
I am on Window Vista, and so far, I always stuck with IE. I have been using IE8 since it was available through Windows Update, and it works rather fine. Now, with the recent browser choice tool for the European Union, which I installed through Windows Update, I took this opportunity to install Firefox and Chrome. I must say I really like Chrome, which has a simple and clean interface, and which is faster than IE8 and Firefox ; although it is still not perfect, but is there a perfect browser? I haven't tried Opera, Safari or any other one (Avant Browser, K-Meleon, etc.) yet, maybe I will do it.

Dain Arns
February 25th, 2010, 07:32
I have my Firefox tweaked too much to switch to anything else now.
So many wonderful add-ons...
I'm comfortable. :icon_lol:

MaskRider
February 25th, 2010, 08:09
After reading thru this thread curiosity got the better of me. I downloaded and installed Opera. Very Nice. Don't know if I'll switch over 100% from FireFox. But Opera is definitely a worthy competitor..

Moparmike
February 25th, 2010, 10:03
I primarily use Firefox 3.6 but also use IE8 on my Win7 rig.

On my old WinXP laptop, still running FF3.0.xxx and IE8
(I usually say if it ain't broke, don't fix it but I made the mistake of including IE8 in automatic updates one night...not a big deal since IE8 has been working fine on this machine)

Also...moved to the software forum.

MaddogK
February 26th, 2010, 08:41
ONLY Firefox. Will never touch MS's web browser again- too much of a security risk no matter how much they patch (I mean update) it.

also, FF's plugin system is easier to work with.