PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Icon

surlybonds
February 22nd, 2010, 13:49
Hey Ya'll,

have received and set up the new computer and finally had a chance to install FSX. I have a dedicated drive for FS stuff so i installed it on that, the D drive. i asked for a desktop icon during set up but i presume because it's not on the C drive, it doesn't show up as a desktop icon or in the 'start' program list. to start FSX, i have to go into the file folder and double click on the application entitled FSX.

this starts the program, but i get an error message saying this action has changed the color of my Win7 desktop to the basic win7 color. . . what???

Is there an easier way to get an icon for FSX? I've tried dragging this application file (with icon) to the desktop, but then when i click on that, i get another error.

FS seems to work fine, but i'm not entirely through with the setup, n-hancer, etc. More on that later.

thanks for your help!!
Donn

dswo
February 24th, 2010, 13:32
this starts the program, but i get an error message saying this action has changed the color of my Win7 desktop to the basic win7 color. . . what???

That's normal: W7 automatically switches from Aero look to basic look when FSX runs, because FSX needs all of your computer's resources. (Aero's transparency effects look nice, but they require processing power.) After a few times, the message gets annoying; you can turn it off too.

Is there an easier way to get an icon for FSX? I've tried dragging this application file (with icon) to the desktop, but then when i click on that, i get another error.

Right click on fsx.exe. While you're still holding down the right mouse button, drag the icon onto the desktop. Release the right mouse button. A context menu will pop up: instead of selecting the default ("Move here"), select "Create shortcuts here."

harleyman
February 25th, 2010, 02:09
Yea...just copy and past the exe. to your desktop...

scoutII
February 25th, 2010, 07:17
Had the same problem looong time ago - Desktop icon had to be a "short cut" to the original FSX EXE.