PDA

View Full Version : FSX - Envmap

Timm
February 21st, 2010, 08:13
Hi Guys,
Need some info/help please here. I notice from some of my aircraft window reflections especially the one on my Bell 212 and that is I am seeing mountains etc in the reflection, now the scenery I'm using there's no Mountains. Now I think I have located this file and that's in the FS TEXTURE folder so I replaced that with one I think would match the environment, but when back in FS I am still seeing the same image as before. Question is there another reflection image hiding else where. Any help would be great. Sorry but my images are not being put up for some reason coming as invalid. Timm

Tim_Horton
February 22nd, 2010, 05:15
is the reflection inside, or outside?

Does the mountain reflection you are seeing match the envmap?

are you using dxtbmp to insure proper formatting of the envmap when you change it?

Reflections on the inside of your windows is in the texture folder of the plane you are flying. As with the 212, and 412 I found them to be quite apparent and just tuned them down a bit.

the envmap is global, and is used with the reflection on chrome .

spotlope
February 22nd, 2010, 06:30
Hi Guys,
Need some info/help please here. I notice from some of my aircraft window reflections especially the one on my Bell 212 and that is I am seeing mountains etc in the reflection, now the scenery I'm using there's no Mountains. Now I think I have located this file and that's in the FS TEXTURE folder so I replaced that with one I think would match the environment, but when back in FS I am still seeing the same image as before. Question is there another reflection image hiding else where. Any help would be great. Sorry but my images are not being put up for some reason coming as invalid. Timm

It's possible that they used a custom environment map instead of the default, in which case it'll be in one (or all) of the Bell's texture folders. They're free to name a custom map whatever they want though, so it might take some digging to find it.

Timm
February 22nd, 2010, 11:02
Hi Guys,
Thanks for info here are the answers
Q1: Is the reflection inside, or outside? A: It's on the outside.
2: Does the mountain reflection you are seeing match the envmap A: NO - I downloaded a new Envmap to what would match my enviroment.

Sorry Guys but still not able to show screen shots.
Timm

Wozza
February 22nd, 2010, 18:25
Hi
The envmap.bmp is only used in fs9 mdl and is only there for backward compatibility
Fsx mdl,s appear to use the GlobalEnvTest.dds Ive tried putting this in the aircraft's texture folder but it didnt seem to work,it always called up the one in fsx/texture folder.My testing may have been flawed as I had textures scattered everywhere at the time and my edits may have been faulty causing fsx to use the default one.
Wozza