PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying REX

guzler
February 21st, 2010, 00:26
Hi guys,

I have been on their forum reading and downloaded the user manual, but still got some questions I would like to find the answers to before deciding to buy and I was wondering if you could help me...

1. Once a texture set have been loaded in, can you just go back into FSX another time and fly as per normal or do you have to boot up REX first ?

2. If I go into FSX and select a previously saved flight, will it assign REX textures to make up the weather that was set originally or as above, do you have go through the setup process that I read in the manual ?

3. Although I have a half decent pc (I7 920 2.66Mhz, 1Gb ATI 4850, 6Gb ram), I want to preserve my frame rates, so don't really want to use 4096 texture sets (also the sharp edges I have seen in images aren't my favourite). What are the 1024 and 2048 sets like and is there anyone with a similar spec who have experimented and drawn any conclusions ?

I have no doubts to the capability of it from seeing screen shots amd reading the manual, but alot of the time, I like to go in for a quick flight from one that I have saved without a flightplan and any desire to end up at a given airport. I also enjoy achieiving 25-30fps which I am currently getting with all my addons.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Neil

stiz
February 21st, 2010, 03:18
1. Once a texture set have been loaded in, can you just go back into FSX another time and fly as per normal or do you have to boot up REX first ?

you can fly as normanl. The only time you really need to load REX before fsx is if you want to change your textures or use the weather engine

2. If I go into FSX and select a previously saved flight, will it assign REX textures to make up the weather that was set originally or as above, do you have go through the setup process that I read in the manual ?

Not exactly sure, but if you didnt load fsx useing the REX weather engine the weather will be as set in the saved flight

3. Although I have a half decent pc (I7 920 2.66Mhz, 1Gb ATI 4850, 6Gb ram), I want to preserve my frame rates, so don't really want to use 4096 texture sets (also the sharp edges I have seen in images aren't my favourite). What are the 1024 and 2048 sets like and is there anyone with a similar spec who have experimented and drawn any conclusions ?

I used the 1024x1024 clouds on my old pc (Core 2 Duo 2.3mhz, 2 gig ram, 9800GT 512mb) and didnt have any frame rate hit and it still looked pretty decent.

hope that helps :)

guzler
February 21st, 2010, 03:23
Thanks Stiz, you've explained what I was looking for.

Can you change the weather in the normal FSX weather selection menu but obviously using the REX textures that have replaced the default ones ?

eg... selecting "building storms" then changing to "cold fronts" mid flight - will this function still work ?

IanHenry
February 21st, 2010, 03:27
Neil,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
from my experience the high resolution clouds don't effect performance in any way.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Ian.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

stiz
February 21st, 2010, 03:28
Can you change the weather in the normal FSX weather selection menu but obviously using the REX textures that have replaced the default ones ?

eg... selecting "building storms" then changing to "cold fronts" mid flight - will this function still work ?

Does for me, but then i never use REXs weather engine and only use it for the textures :)

guzler
February 21st, 2010, 03:43
Thanks guys,

Stiz, that's exaclty what I am looking to do, I'm far too impatient for 6 minute load times, just want the great textures this has to offer. I will try the 2048 textures and 1024 to see which I prefer.

Thanks

jmig
February 21st, 2010, 04:10
I use REX for the textures. I set REX to show partly cloudy and I love the results. I have never used the weather feature and don't know if it take as long to load it as it takes to load the texture sets?

scoutII
February 21st, 2010, 04:35
The weather feature takes a minute,depending on your internet connection, to load at first(tells you by a scroll across the top of the screen) and loads during flight without interruption - Have had no problem whatsoever with REX 2.0 and it adds so much - Chris

guzler
February 21st, 2010, 05:21
Downloading now, been an expensive day !!!!

limjack
February 21st, 2010, 06:45
Downloading now, been an expensive day !!!!

You will love it, you made the right choice.

Enjoy
:icon29:

guzler
February 21st, 2010, 08:16
Had my first flight with it, roody amazing !

Beefing the cloudscape up does have an impact, but the difference is significant. Just experimenting now to get a more blue sunset, the first set I put in were very orange, not my taste at all.

What has really impressed me is once the textures are loaded into FSX, load times are no different, but the view is transformed.

Cheers for helping me to buy today guys !!!!!