PDA

View Full Version : My new lens...

djscoo
February 20th, 2010, 20:22
I just got hired for a summer job that will have me in the southern Rockies for 3 months. I wanted something lightweight, compact, and versatile because I am going to have to carry it in a backpack for many miles. I went with the Canon 50mm f/1.8 (the nifty fifty).
For just $100 I'm really impressed with it so far. The DoF you can get with it is unreal! (I'll post some shots later). Also, the pictures seem noticeably sharper than what I get with the kit lens. I think the biggest draw was the large aperture. I really don't like using flashes for some reason. My only gripe is it's an all-plastic body, but really it doesn't seem too terribly flimsy (It is a fairly stubby lens). The true test will come this May. :running:

kilo delta
February 21st, 2010, 04:28
Yep...the 50mm f1.8 is a fantastic walkabout lens. Fast for low light situations, incredibly sharp and a perfect portrait lens on cropped sensor bodies. I've the Nikon version and it too is only ~€100....bargain!

Congrats on your new purchase,djscoo.:applause:

Snuffy
February 21st, 2010, 09:38
Congrats on the new job too!! Sounds like fun. And those are the best kind of jobs. Where ya get to have fun and get paid for it too!

Ferry_vO
February 24th, 2010, 14:40
Have that one too, and I think it's not bad, even pretty good considering the price. The lack of zoom keeps me from using it often but it's small enough to carry around in my camera bag without problems.