PDA

View Full Version : M3D File Structure

MajorMagee
February 20th, 2010, 19:57
Has anyone ever mapped out the M3D file structure? In my Panzer Elite days we had a similar problem of not having a tool to go backward from the finished model files back to editable source files. Once we worked out the data structure we could go in and hex edit some key things even without having the proper reverse engineering tools.

I've had a few models where the polys were left some set color rather than having a texture mapped to them. It probably wouldn't be possible to hex edit a correct texture mapping without going back to the source, but with some knowledge of the file structure these fixed color polys could at least be given a proper color.

hairyspin
February 21st, 2010, 07:58
If anyone has, they aren't advertising the fact. :mad:

ndicki
February 21st, 2010, 08:59
I know one or two people managed to work out something about how shiny the models are, apparently, but that's as far as it seems to go. FS-type mdl files were that bit easier to work out...

NachtPiloten
February 21st, 2010, 10:37
Hex editing someone's work will get you killed! Seriously, that is a touchy subject.......:sniper:

MajorMagee
February 21st, 2010, 10:49
Yeah, I know. I've been doing this sort of work for a long time, and always ask first. We're talking about things like an overlooked poly on the inside of an engine cowl that's mapped to pink. My experience is that most people appreciate finding out about the error and seeing that it gets fixed.