PDA

View Full Version : Gmax learning curve

TARPSBird
February 16th, 2010, 12:09
I finally got around to firing up gmax and doing the first tutorial (the ones you d/l from the website). I made a medieval mace weapon using cones and a sphere and learned basic animation. That was some tedious clicking and dragging - check the tutorial, perform the tasks, back to the tutorial, etc. Right now I can't imagine getting proficient enough with this system to actually create an airplane. At what point on the learning curve has it started coming together for those of you who use gmax?

hairyspin
February 16th, 2010, 12:49
After about five years - I've been hacking away at it for two and a half to three.... :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

No seriously, the gmax tutorials are a real slog, but you've got to learn the tools. For aircraft building you can usually ignore the Meshsmooth tut and you should know the P-38 tut will give you an aircraft that flies backwards!

Don't be put off by the initial spadework, we all had to do it. When Uncle Milton's C162 tutorial takes you by the hand and leads you through the best general introduction to aircraft building I know (and I've tried a few) you'll see why it's needed.

but there was a trick I learned in the Meshsmooth tut which is invaluable.... :isadizzy:

Milton Shupe
February 16th, 2010, 17:49
The tutes are invaluable ... think of them as the Tools "Introductory" or "Discovery" phase.

You do not have to learn and remember what they do, how to use them, etc., but just be aware that they exist and know how to look for them when you need them using the Gmax Help.

It's just feeling your way around and getting generally comfortable with the environment and terminology.

Just have fun with the exercises; don't stress over them. Experiment and play with the tools as you go.

Once done, then you are ready for the more specifically focused tutes.

Remember, once you get going, you can set "Undo's" to 50 levels, and Save your work every 15 minutes or so.

Hope this helps.

TARPSBird
February 20th, 2010, 20:42
Thanks for the comments. I'll keep plugging away with the tutorials! :icon_lol:

FelixFFDS
February 23rd, 2010, 18:13
I've had gmax since it first came out with FS2002 Pro ....

My successful compiles have been from ported FSDS source files...

I have yet to be able to complete an airyplane start to finish in gmax.

HOwever, I can tell you a lot of what NOT to do ... !!!

(and remember, the blue checkered button is your friend!)