PDA

View Full Version : Another Cat VC at Beau'sCFS3

BeauBrummie
February 16th, 2010, 08:06
Flt. Lt. David Hornell’s (RCAF) VC Canso
Attacking a surfaced U-Boat in the North Sea, Flt.Lt. David Hornell RCAF, whose action in pressing home his attack on the U-boat in a crippled, blazing aircraft, and subsequent efforts to succour his crew exemplified the highest possible standards of determination and selfless sacrifice was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross on 28 July 1944 and was the first Canadian VC. This Cat is the first CFS3 Canadian Catalina.
(Hornell is on back row third from left)
This one is a bit different. This standalone is based on a skin I requested from John. This action shows the bravery of Cat pilots. Despite being so slow, he flew flew the flak the U-boat threw up twice in order to sink it. The Cat crashed and then he did his best to keep his crew alive. There was a large ASR effort to rescue the crew, but Hornell himself "bought the big one".
So we have Canada's first VC of WWII and I've made this it's first CFS3 Cat (or Canso since the aircraft was built in Canada).

Enjoy

Phenozo
February 16th, 2010, 08:25
Thanks Beau, I'm going to try and get these beauties wet in Multiplayer missions tonight!

ETO 1.20 @ 20:00 EST on 2-16-10 (http://www.sim-outhouse.net/forum/showthread.php?130-ETO-1-20-20-00-EST-on-2-16-10) Here is my posted notice for those interested in joining us.

And if anyone wonders the new Hornell is listed under "BRN" in the ETO Theater when installed.

ndicki
February 20th, 2010, 22:38
Great! Looking forward to it - fabulous aircraft.

:running:

ndicki
February 20th, 2010, 22:52
Actually, this is getting very confusing... As far as I can tell -

Catalinas are problematical; the external differences are not enough to be able to tell the difference between many of the mark numbers allocated by the RAE... The USN PBY-5 type can be MkIB, MkIVA or MkIVB, depending essentially on where they came from. The MkIB was a lend-lease PBY-5 from USN stocks, while the MkIVA was built from the start for the RAF by Consolidated, and the MkIVB by Boeing. MkIV aircraft therefore never carried any USN BuNo or designation.

The MkI was the original Consolidated Model 28-5. The MkII was the same model but from USN stocks, and the MkIIA was again the same type but purchased directly in Canada. The only one it's easy to spot is the MkIII, because it's the only amphibious type used by the RAF (14 aircraft). The MkIA was also amphibious, but these (also 14) went to the RCAF (as Canso MkIA) and were not used in Europe. The MkV and VI were "tall-tail" versions, so are not of any interest here.

I have a photo of MkI WQ-Z, but it's s/n is AH545. John's skin is W8406, so they are not the same aircraft. W8406 was sent in December 1941 to Ceylon with No. 202 Sqn. Some publications, such as "On Target Special No.2 Britain Alone" get them mixed up and give AH545 as the aircraft which found the Bismarck.

JV928 was apparently a MkIVA, ex-USN BuNo 08542. Check here:
http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/thirdseries1.html (http://home.att.net/%7Ejbaugher/thirdseries1.html)

The interesting bit is that last line - that JV928 was a MkIVA, therefore not an amphibian. The amphibians were MkIIIs... As Jeff correctly identifies it on his site. So one wonders who's got it wrong. Knowing John, he's working from photos, and will have done his research...

But can we please stop referring to RAF aircraft using USN designations which were not used and are not appropriate? :a1451:

loverboy1
February 21st, 2010, 08:59
sorry need help all my wasit and rear guns work but the line ups are not working if i hit to haev waist guns they dont line up and rears guns on all look into back of plane- the tial gunner is not working yet it worksd without view except inside the back of plane on all models same ,,they work as flying and loading bombs torpedos ......

just the config .....on the gunners wait and rear

thanks

joshua

gosd
January 10th, 2011, 16:36
Has anybody made a mission on this WWII epic ?

NachtPiloten
January 11th, 2011, 04:24
sorry need help all my wasit and rear guns work but the line ups are not working if i hit to haev waist guns they dont line up and rears guns on all look into back of plane- the tial gunner is not working yet it worksd without view except inside the back of plane on all models same ,,they work as flying and loading bombs torpedos ......

just the config .....on the gunners wait and rear

thanks

joshua

Hit shift+c then man the guns