PDA

View Full Version : New location for CFS2 Mesh

rhumbaflappy
February 15th, 2010, 16:51
Hi all. I've started using Microsoft's SkyDrive for online file storage. 25GB per account, 50MB maximum file size.

Here's the location for the CFS2 mesh I made:

http://cid-f3950c5bbd2bcfa1.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/FS%20Addons/Mesh?sa=173203563

I don't have the LWM waterpolys here, because they were somewhat experimental, and gave much of the world odd flooding.

I don't believe you can mass-download from 'The Cloud', but individual files can be downloaded simultaneously. A very few files are over 50MB, so I made self extracting EXE files, and 'parts' to hold the extras... download the exe and the corresponding part, and double-click the exe to unrar them.

Dick

leroy10
February 15th, 2010, 16:58
Hi Dick,

Looks like "The Cloud's" are rolling in and are here to stay.

BTW how much storage space do you require in total for your meshes?

Cheers :ernae:
Lindsay

rhumbaflappy
February 15th, 2010, 20:26
Hi Lindsay.

It's about 2.65GB. It would be much more if I had done a full LOD 8 set, but it's restricted to the war zones.

The worldwide LOD 7 is still very nice... that alone is 1.2GB. The DEM5 is about 94 MB... and the full set was omitted from the sim, so it makes sense to add at least that.

Dick

AGAS 5
February 15th, 2010, 21:03
Dick,

Thanks for this, it's much appreciated :salute:

Does DEM 5 benefit Australia ? I have DEM 7 & 8 installed.

Cheers,

Pete

Rami
February 16th, 2010, 03:51
Rhumbaflappy,

This is a great contribution! Thanks! :ernae:

rhumbaflappy
February 16th, 2010, 08:20
Dick,

Thanks for this, it's much appreciated :salute:

Does DEM 5 benefit Australia ? I have DEM 7 & 8 installed.

Cheers,

Pete

Hi Pete.

The default DEM5 files are in \SCENEDB\world\scenery. They are an incomplete set, as the Aces probably never imagined the whole world being needed. The replacement set is updated to newer SRTM data, and is complete. I would download the whole DEM5 set, then replace the defaults in the \SCENEDB\world\scenery folder. In that it's a better data souce, it should help Australia.

Dick

rhumbaflappy
February 16th, 2010, 08:23
Hi all.

I'm curious if anyone is downloading and having problems with either the BGL files or with the download.

I'm going to set up a download page that uses a map of the world to access the downloads, but it may take a day or two.

The SkyDrive storage has been around a while, but we haven't been using it much. It seems a good way to freely store masses of files. It takes a bit of doing, but we can hotlink to files, making public downloads a bit easier. The hotlinks appear to be static on the servers, which was a surprise to me. I've seen hotlink examples over 2 years old that still link correctly, though Microsoft didn't intend it's use this way. So, pictures, movies, files and docs can all have enduring web hotlinks.

This also gives us greater control over the files, rather than uploading to the outhouse library, simviation, or AVSIM.. they can more easily be changed, updated, removed, or replaced due to a server crash. Working through forum download sites is generally user-unfriendly.

Dick

Morton
February 16th, 2010, 08:47
I agree with you Rhumba. Good idea . Skydrive is exellent for this kind of work. I too have a copy of all my CFS2 uploads up there

http://cid-7f2604cfe3f60274.skydrive.live.com/home.aspx

Morton

Devildog73
February 22nd, 2010, 14:14
How do you download them?

I go to the site and it wants to save targets as webpages not zips or bgls.

AGAS 5
February 22nd, 2010, 20:44
Hi Pete.

The default DEM5 files are in \SCENEDB\world\scenery. They are an incomplete set, as the Aces probably never imagined the whole world being needed. The replacement set is updated to newer SRTM data, and is complete. I would download the whole DEM5 set, then replace the defaults in the \SCENEDB\world\scenery folder. In that it's a better data souce, it should help Australia.

Dick

Thanks mate..... I had actually assumed I didn't have it because I was looking in the wrong place (I am a poppy ya know lol ). Luckily I kept my old install on Ext HDD .... now have it moved across to the new one :jump:

Cheers,

Pete