PDA

View Full Version : 'Civil War Photos'

Panther_99FS
February 14th, 2010, 16:30
One of the members at Nikon Cafe' posted this.....There are some very riveting shots here....
http://www.mikelynaugh.com/VirtualCivilWar/New/Originals2/index.html

Panther_99FS
February 14th, 2010, 16:32
http://www.mikelynaugh.com/VirtualCivilWar/New/Originals2/pages/WashingtonMonumentStump.html

brad kaste
February 14th, 2010, 16:50
Thanks for posting Panther. Many of the photos are very grim. Would you know if these photos were taken by T. O'Sullivan or M. Brady?

leonross
February 14th, 2010, 17:09
All I can say is WOW . Thanks Panther .

harleyman
February 14th, 2010, 17:56
Cool old pics...I saw many famaliar sights....

Panther_99FS
February 14th, 2010, 17:57
Thanks for posting Panther. Many of the photos are very grim. Would you know if these photos were taken by T. O'Sullivan or M. Brady?

I don't know Brad....:kilroy:

jmig
February 14th, 2010, 18:08
Those are really interesting. Years and years ago, while in grad school, I took an elective course on the history of America through the orators. The course was so interesting that I later toured the eastern states and visited the civil War and Revolution sites.

Lionheart
February 14th, 2010, 19:25
Incredible that America split apart back then, neighbors literally shooting at each other.

Thank the Lord that war is over. We've come a long ways.

Thanks for the heads up Panther.

Bill

lifejogger
February 14th, 2010, 20:14
Great pictures, that definitely is history come to life.

viking3
February 14th, 2010, 20:37
...I saw many famaliar sights....

Geez Harleyman I didn't think you were that old.:icon_lol:

Regards, Rob:ernae:

CADFather
February 14th, 2010, 21:37
Having grown up in the heart of the south, living next to a major War of Northern Aggression battlefield (Chickamauga, GA)and being a living historian of the civil war for most of my life. A lot of these photos are images that I am familiar with and some are like family photos, the subjects of the photos are instantly recognizable to me. My hometown county formed no less than 7 companies of infantry for the Confederacy as well as 5 companies for the Union. It was not only neighbor against neighbor but in many cases it was brother against brother and son against father.

Being a re-enactor I have traveled all over the East Coast and through out the south visiting the sites of many of the battles and places of interest of the period, from Florida all the way to New York and as far West as Texas. I've camped in many of the same spots as those gentlemen did, awakened to many of the same sounds, sights and smells, but all without that feeling of not knowing if this day is going to be your last. We (re-enactors) have a saying that describes a moment that it actually feels like the 1860's and you are there, it's called a "Magic Moment." I've had just a couple and having actually been shot at by people that wanted me dead simply because of where I was from, I got to look into the lives of those men from a different perspective on those occasions. I can honestly say that I don't think men like these exist any longer, at least in the quantities that they used to.

Thanks for the link, I've got it book marked for future reference.

CAD

redriver6
February 14th, 2010, 22:15
those are mostly photographs from the National Archives...

http://www.archives.gov/research/civil-war/photos/

and or the Library of Congress.

http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/catalog.html

i've always wanted to do the reenactment thing...maybe when i retire..

i've been to some reenactments...Battle of Pleasant Hill La. 1864 (2006)

MaskRider
February 14th, 2010, 22:29
Thanks Panther. Nice site.

Here is a link to the Library of Congress, American Memories Collection, Civil War images home page.

Selected Civil War Photographs (http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/cwphtml/cwphome.html) (1100+)

Many indeed most of the originals for the photos are to be found in this Library of Congress collection. The LoC has done a great job digitizing and arranging them.

I'm a guy who loves to tromp around Civil War Battlefields- particularly familiar with those in and around my home state of Virginia- I am always interested.

Done some extensive research into the days that Alexander Gardner spent in Richmond just after the Confederate evacuation of the city and have actually put together what I consider to be a pretty good tour that follows Gardner's footsteps around the city. It is a sort of then and now tour stopping to the look and take photos from the exact same locations where Gardner took his photos.

One of the sub categories in the LoC American Memories Collection is "Fallen Richmond" in the 1865 section.

CADFather
February 15th, 2010, 00:00
i've always wanted to do the reenactment thing...maybe when i retire..

i've been to some reenactments...Battle of Pleasant Hill La. 1864 (2006)

Do it if you can, I can't anymore after getting crippled up in a motorcycle accident in '06, I still go to the local ones and usually just mill around and watch the battles from the sidelines, but God I do miss it. It's hard to march when you can't walk without a cane and told rather frankly, that you'll "never be out of a wheelchair again, at the very least a walker."

CAD

Snuffy
February 15th, 2010, 03:25
@ Redriver6 ... I got personal photos of the time when I, (as a kid) was involved in a local re-enactment group.

They're on film, one day, I'll have to get them converted over to digital. Cazzie mentioned a scanner he bought not too long ago, I may need to look into something like that as I have reams of negatives.

@ Panther, As an avid ACW enthusiast, and an owner of a library containing over 1,000 books on the subject of the ACW, I can truthfully say, I've seen everyone of those shots already. LOL!

Thanks for sharing.

TeaSea
February 15th, 2010, 04:34
I think the original links is a combination of several photographers, including both Brady and O'Sullivan. I could be wrong about that.

When you look at these remember that these photographers were not above staging shots by moving things around to get the impact they wanted. They would have viewed that as simply an extension of their studio work and not seen it in any bad light at all. Today we would view that as manufacturing the news...although I notice many of our media outlets today are not above it when they have an agenda...but generally we look down on it.

The famous "dead sharpshooter at Gettysburg", a poignant view of a dead Confederate, was in fact staged by Brady. He dragged a body over to where he wanted him, then threw in his musket for effect.

Cazzie
February 15th, 2010, 06:27
Like Snuffy, I have seen them all at one time or another, some the originals at various museums.

I have never done re-enactments, but a good friend of mine, the late John Champion did many, and I followed him on his escapades out of my interest in the history of the ACW. I still have harsh feeling about that war, mostly inbred by my genetic background. The best thing the Confederacy could have done at the beginning of the war would been to have freed the slaves like their military leader Robert E. Lee. That act alone would have gained the patrionage of the United Kingdom and France, who feared an imperial United States.

Some of those photos are of Richmond and very familiar to this day. Thanks for posting Panther, this war was a stain in our history and the very same items that brought about that war are still standing, the issue of states rights to free trade and self-government over that of a centralized controlling government.

Caz

Chacha
February 15th, 2010, 06:34
Those are incredible photos, heart touching photos. I can only ask why this has to happen.

Wow, and there a lot of photos and preserved too....

I remember my Dad showing me some of his photos taken, how he survived the ugly war (WWII). Thank God it is over. :engel016:

brad kaste
February 15th, 2010, 07:19
I find the poignancy of this thread quite timely. Seeing that it's President's Day. And not meaning to fight the Civil War all over again,....thank heaven's for Ol' Abe staying the course. Truly he was America's martyr.

MaskRider
February 15th, 2010, 07:33

I think Gardner along with his apprentice, Sullivan, did the lions share of the actual battlefield photography.

If you go to the LoC link that I posted (above) all of the originals of these photos are posted and the credits provided.

FAC257
February 15th, 2010, 13:46
I ran into this thread quite a while back looking for Florida Civil War photos.
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/digging-around-old-florida-photos-t66563.html

It's got the pic below with a few others and a little story about Billy Lunden. We were still stationed at Eglin in '55 but I was way to young to remember anything of this nature going on.

FAC

"Florida's oldest confederate veteran, Billy Lundy at Eglin Air Force Base 1955"

CADFather
February 15th, 2010, 19:30
Just imagine all the CHANGE he saw in his lifetime, makes me wonder if he'd have any HOPE for us.

Bjoern
February 16th, 2010, 15:46
Thanks for the history lesson guys!

Panther_99FS
February 16th, 2010, 16:45
Just imagine all the CHANGE he saw in his lifetime, makes me wonder if he'd have any HOPE for us.

Gettin' close here...Let's stay on topic...

cheezyflier
February 16th, 2010, 18:02
well, i don't know if the no politics rule applies if the politics are 150 yrs old, if it does then feel free to delete this reply.
but it blows me away that:

A) people still think the civil war was about abolition

B) people think that lincoln was assasinated for supporting abolition or even for preventing the confederacy from secession.

both are the product of revisionist history.

djscoo
February 16th, 2010, 18:22
well, i don't know if the no politics rule applies if the politics are 150 yrs old, if it does then feel free to delete this reply.

B) people think that lincoln was assasinated for supporting abolition or even for preventing the confederacy from secession.

Your quality of education really depended on which teacher you had, and whether you possessed any prior knowledge of the subject in my high school. Most of the coaches were history teachers, and their classes were pretty laid back, just class discussions. My junior year, I got one of the coaches as my teacher and was bestowed with many gems of knowledge including: "The United States has the world's largest standing army, Alexander Hamilton and Benjamin Franklin were both former presidents, Scotland is a country, Hitler attacked the US", among others... All of my energy was spent arguing established facts with him, after which he would refer to wikipedia and say "that's not what I was taught in school!".

Eoraptor1
February 21st, 2010, 07:39

Another Civil War person chiming in. (I have a mine ball I found sitting on m desk right now.) Revisionist history is another one of those things I insist we've always had with us. I have real doubts as to how capable we are as a species of being totally objective about anything. I insist that Civil War revisionism began immediately, as people after a horribly destructive and divisive war gravitated toward narratives they found acceptable to their sensibilities. They also want to think well of their ancestors, who brought the war on, which is another kettle of fish. Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative - I'll never love Nathan Bedford Forrest the way he did, but that's a great title. A LOT depends on who's telling the story.

Here's a link to a C-SPAN lecture by Carol Reardon about the mythology surrounding Pickett's Charge that hits on some of the points I'm talking about. Go HERE: http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/96629-1

Thank you for the photos, Panther, and thank you to the SOH for providing a civil forum. I know no one here will believe it, but some people say I'm knd of opinionated...

[Pause here for your collective astonishment.]

JAMES

cheezyflier
February 22nd, 2010, 07:53
Another Civil War person chiming in. (I have a mine ball I found sitting on m desk right now.) Revisionist history is another one of those things I insist we've always had with us. I have real doubts as to how capable we are as a species of being totally objective about anything. I insist that Civil War revisionism began immediately

i totally agree, and your point was nicely underscored by the video. well done :wavey:

jmig
February 22nd, 2010, 08:17
Another .. I have real doubts as to how capable we are as a species of being totally objective about anything. I insist that Civil War revisionism began immediately, as people after a horribly destructive and divisive war gravitated toward narratives they found acceptable to their sensibilities. They also want to think well of their ancestors, who brought the war on, which is another kettle of fish. ...

JAMES

Isn't that part of what the phrase, "The victor writes the history" means.

Eoraptor1
February 23rd, 2010, 15:15
Isn't that part of what the phrase, "The victor writes the history" means.

That's definitely part of it, but not all. I live in Western New York, but my mother's side of the family is from South Carolina, and I guarantee you get a different point of view of the Civil War there than you do in WNY. You'll hear terms for the war like "The War for Southern Independence" or "The War of Northern Aggression". If I'm not mistaken, the official US government term is "War of the Rebellion". That's victor's language. (Historian Barbara Fields famously asks the question: Who Won the Civil War? Lots of people lost, but who won? You also see Denzel Wahington's character in Glory say to his Colonel "Ain't nobody gonna win this.") Some people will say facts are facts, and history is what it is. I have respect for this view, but what it neglects IMO is the role in human affairs of what people are willing to accept as being factual. IMO people tend to gravitate to the version of events they find acceptable. I don't mean this as pejorative, or the sole domain of any one group, but I do note it. Furthermore, if you are in the wrong company insisting upon the "wrong" narrative, you're more than likely to face social sanction; no more reindeer games, or an a-- whipping delivered on swift wings. This is what I meant in one of my earlier postings when I said PC was nothing new. People only perceive it as PC when they feel that someone is imposing an "alien" narrative on them.

...and now I'm talking like a Cylon and better go.

JAMES

redriver6
February 23rd, 2010, 17:49
i was kinda with ya until you said 'pejorative'....only a Cylon or Ken would say that:icon_lol:

Eoraptor1
February 23rd, 2010, 18:47
i was kinda with ya until you said 'pejorative'....only a Cylon or Ken would say that:icon_lol:

"I'm a machine, and I could know much more..."

BTW: The dragon in the 1981 movie, Dragonslayer, was named Vermithrax Pejorative. "The Wyrm of Thrace who makes things worse". I think it was shot on location in North Wales. I remember being very impressed by the dragon as a yoot, and I think it still holds up very well.

JAMES

redriver6
February 23rd, 2010, 18:53
yup i remember that one....
(how did this get into a 'Civil War Photos' thread??)