PDA

View Full Version : Rear seat flying, anyone actually doing it?

fsafranek
February 14th, 2010, 01:55
Just out of curiosity, does anyone really fly from the back seat in FSX? Do people fly Lotusim L-39 in co-operative? My gut feeling is that having a working rear cockpit is pure eye candy and bragging rights and is the 'extra mile' but is the work required really worth it?
:ernae:

Quixoticish
February 14th, 2010, 01:57
I quite often fly from the back seat in aircraft that allow it. It's a bit of a change of scenery at times.

Dangerous Beans
February 14th, 2010, 02:17
I fly the A2A Cub from the back seat all the time

Francois
February 14th, 2010, 02:18
Yup, flying the Cubs from the rear, although the Super Cubs can be flown from the front seat.

gajit
February 14th, 2010, 02:19
Hi Frank

Hope all is well for you and family.

Yes - often with something with autopilot I will enjoy the view as a passenger on a long flight.

Cheers

GJ

SpaceWeevil
February 14th, 2010, 02:26
Yes, I do it quite often with the Texan/Harvard. It's a whole new challenge, plus it helps break the newbie/jet jockey habit of trying to look over the nose when landing a taildragger. It would be easier with Track IR but I manage.

Nick C
February 14th, 2010, 02:29
Flown from the back seat of the L-39 a couple of times on-line. The problem is it's hard not to pull or push buttons or levers, causing your pilot and you to tumble out of the sky. :icon_twi:

Railrunner130
February 14th, 2010, 05:25
When I was flying the Captainsim F-104, and was getting good at it, I'd pull up the two-seater and give myself a reality check. That was ugly. :isadizzy:

I've also flown the Restrauvia Fouga from the back seat and am ok at it.

Bomber_12th
February 14th, 2010, 06:05
That is a good question Frank, and I am glad to hear so far, these replies that it is worth it, to at least some, and gives me some confidence that the time I have spent/will spend in building the second pits on my current and future projects will be for some good use. I definitely am keener to model more than just the one cockpit when it comes to FSX, since with this sim you can easily jump from one pit to the next, by simply cycling through the cockpit views, which is very nice.

In the recent SNJ/T-6 release from SkyUnlimited, you can fly from the front and the back, with full controls and working gages. In real life, to train to become a pilot rated in the Mustang, Corsair, P-40, or the like, it is highly advised to not only get a lot of time from the front seat, flying a T-6, but even more of that time, from the rear seat, since that will give you a better impression, based on your proximity to the wings and engine, and giving you that restricted forward view, of what you get when flying the WWII single-engine fighter planes. It's great to be able to replicate this type of flying style within the sim, by being provided the capability to do so.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Tweek
February 14th, 2010, 06:12
I prefer the look of the rear cockpit in the Skysim Hawk. It's nice having the canopy frame in view, for some reason.

jmig
February 14th, 2010, 06:12
I often fly the Iris T-6II from the rear seat. It is fun to land that way.

Tako_Kichi
February 14th, 2010, 06:44
I prefer the look of the rear cockpit in the Skysim Hawk. It's nice having the canopy frame in view, for some reason.
I fly the Hawk from the back seat too 95% of the time I fly it. The visibility is much better in the back seat especially on final.

Warrant
February 14th, 2010, 13:49
mainly in replay, as a simulated pax (IRIS F-16D) :icon_lol:

BASys
February 14th, 2010, 14:49
Hi Folks

Just out of curiosity,
does anyone really fly from the back seat in FSX?
Frank -
Try flying FSX with your buddy in multiplayer mode. :guinness:

No,
the back seat is not eye candy. :icon_lol:

Equally appplies to choppers and heavy-iron SxS config.

ATB
Paul