PDA

View Full Version : SkyUnlimited Texans Vol.2 Released (SOH Charter Member Discount)

Cerberus
February 13th, 2010, 10:10
SkyUnlimited is proud to announce the release of our Texans Volume 2 Flight Experience Pack.

Legacy of the Sky: Texans Volume 2 is an entire flight experience including new aircraft, vehicles, and artillery. Players can practice landing on the carrier USS Monterey in the SNJ-4C or take a Jeep for a drive around their favorite airbase. In addition, a controllable 105mm Howitzer is included with animated gunners and the ability to fire. Players can also fire smoke rockets from the LT-6G or control the USS Monterey in multiplayer for their friends to land on. An AI version of the Monterey is also included for single player landings. Also included are some locator files that can be used to make movies with FS-Recorder. All Extras have virtual cockpits and animations. The Carrier even has an LSO that can be controlled.

Learn more here http://www.skyunlimited.net/

SOH Charter members can get the planes for $4 off. Simply post in this thread that you want it, or send me a private message, and I will send a private message to all of the charter members with details on how to get the discount.

I wanted to release yesterday but it was snowing in Louisiana. The only real snow I have seen in my life. Couldn't help but build this snowman with my fiancee :-). We called him Bubba. He adds a whole new meaning to Stick-Em Up.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

Nick C
February 13th, 2010, 10:29
Congrats on the release Jesse...and the new gate guard!

X_eidos2
February 13th, 2010, 10:39
Not a bad snowman for first timers :jump:

txnetcop
February 13th, 2010, 10:57
Jesse I have your first Texan Pack and if anyone is wondering if it is worth it...HECK YES! That is the best Texan I have ever seen for FSX. I heard a rumor that a donationware version is coming as well from BAZ and I am sure it will be a sweetheart. BAZ makes great aircraft! But just like Mike's SuperCub and A2A cubs, a pilot just can't have enough Texans. I highly recommend Jesse's Texan. Looking forward to this one when I can free some cash up! Great job Jesse and TEAM
Ted
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

IanP
February 13th, 2010, 12:18
Meh. Can't get it. Funds pot empty until April.

Best of luck with this one though Jesse, looks fun!

Bomber_12th
February 13th, 2010, 14:10
Well, I couldn't pass on this one, and have already made a quick hop in the SNJ-4C (the main reason I got the package). As always, I really enjoy the detailing work that you put into these Texans, John MacKay! Looking around the cockpit, there never seems to be an item missing - and I appreciate the lengths you go to, to make the cockpits accurate per variant (I also jumped into the other variants in the pack, just for a look around, for now), and the cockpit experience is a bit of a new one every time you jump into the next variant.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I have long heard from pilots, jokingly, that a would-be T-6 pilot, should be run through the Mustang first, instead of the opposite way around (the Mustang being the easier type to fly), and you actually sort of get this impression based on flying this product. The nickname I have heard mentioned to describe the aircraft is the "Terrible Texan." The aircraft's ailerons are quite sluggish (similar to a Mustang's, but more so), but makes up for this with very effective elevator and rudder control. The drawback is that it just doesn't have a lot of power to work with, so you have to be wise when doing any maneuvering. I haven't done much maneuvering yet in the aircraft, but it definitely demands attention to your energy going in, and plenty of attention on the rudder over the top (balancing the tendency to yaw). Taxiing and landing is where I have heard are the most demanding situations with the T-6, but with this product, everything in regard to those situations feels very natural, as long as you have operated a tail-dragger in the sim before, with a non-steerable tail wheel.

Now I'm just looking forward to the next opportunity I get to fly it again, and play around with all of the other items included! Great job to all involved!<o:p></o:p>

Bomber_12th
February 13th, 2010, 14:36
BTW, X_eidos2, I was wondering if you had seen these photos yet:
http://www.cwahl.com/flying/snj5c/rest_10/rest_10.htm

These are from the restoration of the finest SNJ on the planet, which happens to be a 5C, not a 4C, but still has the same arresting gear and tail wheel fairing. The one photo in this link that is really cool to me, is of the tail wheel fairing itself. Chuck Wahl, the man who restored the plane, used the original shield, still with all of the marks left behind by the carrier wires which hit it, every time the aircraft's tailhook missed. It's a very unique thing to see, representing the aircraft's history, which other restorers could have just pounded clean for a nicer looking unit.

Here are some more photos of this beautiful award-winning aircraft:
http://www.cwahl.com/flying/snj5c/reno2009/reno2009.htm

Despite being one mark off from the -4C, it would certainly make a great basis for a repaint on the -4C model, which I may just try.

Chuck_Jodry-VJPL
February 13th, 2010, 14:41
Congrats on the release John , you went all out on this one and i hope it does well for you .
Best , C.J

MudMarine
February 13th, 2010, 14:46
Excellent!! :applause: :jump:

X_eidos2
February 13th, 2010, 15:03
Thanks for the kind words Bomber_12th, Chuck and Tim.

Jerry Beckwith did a fantastic job on the flight model didn't he.

I hope you're enjoying the SNJ-4C. The biggest challenge in this particular model was trying to figure out how to do the tailhook release. I found several photos of the exterior tailhook, (including the ones that Bomber_12 had the links to) but came up empty when it came to the internal arrangement of the rope that released the latch that held the hook in place. A new fella came onto the forums a couple months ago and said that he had access to a lot of Navy aviation historical resources and offered to help anyone. I asked him about the rope in the SNJ cockpit and he went off to check with his sources. I haven't heard anything from him since. I found 3 or 4 accounts where Naval Aviators wrote about dealing with a simple rope arrangement wrapped around the arm rest, but didn't give much more detail than that. I spent a week trying to get the rope to look like rope :isadizzy: Seems I could get it to move and I could get it to dangle but I couldn't get the same part to both move and dangle. The final results are another example of best guess engineering in flight simulation.

ps - in my reading I found that there is no visual difference between the 4C and the 5C. The difference was how the electrical system was set-up, if I remember correctly.

Old Crow
February 13th, 2010, 16:57
Very nice looking package. I have really enjoyed the Vol. 1 Texans. It just keeps getting better. :applause:

modelr
February 13th, 2010, 20:06
Jesse, just downloaded the V2 Texans. Will complement the V1 set fantastically.

Want some more snow? I can send you a few truckloads just out of my yard here in Iowa.:icon_lol:

Thanks for another great package.:applause:

Daveroo
February 14th, 2010, 09:47
SOH Charter members can get the planes for $4 off. Simply post in this thread that you want it, or send me a private message, and I will send a private message to all of the charter members with details on how to get the discount.

i would like to take advantage of this..thanks dave

Cerberus
February 14th, 2010, 14:44
Meh. Can't get it. Funds pot empty until April.

Best of luck with this one though Jesse, looks fun!

No problem, it will still be around then :-)

MudMarine
February 14th, 2010, 15:47
Nice snowman Jesse! LaRue Tactical kicks butt!

Gdavis101
February 14th, 2010, 16:31
Me thinks I will have to pick this one up! :wavey:

Cerberus
February 14th, 2010, 17:14
Nice snowman Jesse! LaRue Tactical kicks butt!

I love their stuff. Can't help but wear the free hats they send around and see if anyone picks up on it.

Cerberus
February 16th, 2010, 01:50
I know at the least a lot of charter members here are taking advantage of the discount. I take it that everything is going smoothly for everyone and you'll are having fun?

Quicksand
February 16th, 2010, 04:49
Loads of fun, Jesse. This is an outstanding aircraft! I love the rocket effect on the LT-6G! Well done!:medals::icon29::guinness::applause::salute:

Henry
February 16th, 2010, 06:04
Thanks Jesse:applause::applause::applause::applause:
the snow has gone away for another few years:icon_lol:
appreciate the gesture:medals:
H

Cerberus
February 16th, 2010, 06:59
Thanks Jesse:applause::applause::applause::applause:
the snow has gone away for another few years:icon_lol:
appreciate the gesture:medals:
H

I still have some snow in my yard lol. We rolled a ball of it so huge that both Rhea and I together were so exhausted we could no longer move it. It was probably 3-4ft tall. It is about the size of a basketball now lol.

Hopefully we won't have to wait as long next time around. Last time it was like this was probably 25 years ago before I was even born.

Daveroo
February 16th, 2010, 07:04
thanks Jesse,i got it installed after a minor brain fart..........:sleep:...........havent flown it yet,will this afternoon.looking forward to it.thanks again...BTW its been close to 70F here in NORCAL yall

doublecool
February 16th, 2010, 14:13
Jesse, I have vol 1 and will be getting vol 2

Gave $50 to the SOH for helping on the upgrade but it does not look like ya get a charter member ship for that small of amount donation:salute:

MudMarine
February 16th, 2010, 14:16
Hey DC you have a line under your name.......doesn't that mean you are a charter member?

doublecool
February 16th, 2010, 14:24
I like your thinkin Mud:wavey: but honestly I don't know what that means

Cerberus
February 16th, 2010, 15:14
Yes the line under your name means you are a charter member. I'll send you a pm.

doublecool
February 16th, 2010, 16:09
Thanks Jesse looking forward to her :applause:

Cerberus
February 20th, 2010, 16:33
Now out at simmarket and fspilotshop.

mfitch
February 22nd, 2010, 13:41
With limited time I haven't tried all the options, but I have enjoyed a few flights with the navy version. I have also added the Monterey to my fleet (using aicarriers). I love having CV, CVL, and CVE options in my fleet.

Landing on the Monterey has been normal, but I have not yet managed to take off without registering a crash (hitting something on the port side). I am also trying to figure out how little fuel to use with the Texan as all my landings with it end with a nose over or the tail crashing through the deck. That just gives me more reason to fly.

X_eidos2
February 22nd, 2010, 18:12
I found that if you lower the fuel to less than 30 percent you should be able to land and take-off OK. For take-offs you can do a quick check of the weather and put about 12 kts of wind across the bow using the custom weather settings. Anything more than 15 kts and the plane will start rolling backwards. I would taxi the plane to where it's just in front of the last arresting wire, set the brake or hold the brake, run up the engine to full power, release the brake and take-off. The plane will usually dip a little as it crosses the end of the flight deck, but you should have enough airspeed by then to gently pull back on the joystick and climb away. You should also have full flaps set for take-off.

glennc
February 22nd, 2010, 20:03
I've debated asking for the discount. What you asking for the new Texan is very fair. :wavey:

So, I may or may not use it but I am looking forward to the new airplanes.

Glenn

mfitch
February 23rd, 2010, 13:04
Having a bit of time this morning before an appointment (needed a student, class 2 aviation medical certificate to start real flight training), I had time for a short flight. This time I did (matching x_eidos' suggestion) bring fuel down below 30% of total capacity. My first landing (on CV-6 Enterprise) the hook did not catch, because the Texan rolled to a stop without it (beautiful landing I will probably never be able to repeat). On the second attempt (CVL-28 Cabot) I caught the cable without any side effects. Take off was fine on both (again using procedures described in the documentation and here). I did not have time for another landing (CVL-26 included in the package was next in rotation).

Wind was about 12-13 knots (running REX with saved weather pattern). I have been practicing out of Andersen AFB, Guam. Ignoring my sim flight skills, this package has been (and will continue to be) fun.

X_eidos2
February 23rd, 2010, 14:42
Toni Hiltunen gave us a heads up that he had finished a new texture for the T-6. He uploaded it to Avsim. The file name is: texan164cl.zip

Get's us motivated to get all the parts together for the texture painting contest that we thought about a few months back. Jesse is working out the details right now.

I'm hoping to get some super-sized bump and spec map files ready so painters can super detail the FSX version if they like.

Enjoy

rayhere48
February 23rd, 2010, 15:00
Please let me know how to get the discount. Thanks.

baernhard
February 23rd, 2010, 15:38
Ride with the lemon ...

Bernhard

X_eidos2
February 23rd, 2010, 17:53
The discount is for SOH Charter Members. You can tell who the charter members are by the line that appears under their name. To become a charter member you make a donation to the SOH bandwidth drive. Once you get the line appearing under your name, send a PM to Cerberus (Jesse) and he'll forward you a special link that allows you to download the Texan flight experience at the discount price.

X_eidos2
February 23rd, 2010, 18:03
I flunked my international aircraft insignia identification test. I had to look it up on wikipedia.

Austria.

Well done.

Here's the link to the insignia page just in case you're curious;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_aircraft_insignia#Current_insignia_of_nat ional_air_forces

Cerberus
February 25th, 2010, 16:18
I want to have a little fun.

Here is the deal.

Anybody willing to make a video of successfully landing the SNJ on the Monterey while the weather is set to Major Thunderstorm, and then uploading it to youtube for me to view will get a free copy of our FSX/FS9 Gotha 229. If you nose over on landing it does not count :-). Set the time to around noon so that you can easily find the ship and if it does the same as my sim there will be a nice strong cross wind.

If you like you can record the weather being changed to major thunderstorm when you get close to final approach just to prove to everyone you did it, although we will know when you come flying in sideways.

Don't worry its not that hard I did it my first try, but it was loads of fun.

gianlucabagatti
February 28th, 2010, 04:40
SkyUnlimited is proud to announce the release of our Texans Volume 2 Flight Experience Pack.

Legacy of the Sky: Texans Volume 2 is an entire flight experience including new aircraft, vehicles, and artillery. Players can practice landing on the carrier USS Monterey in the SNJ-4C or take a Jeep for a drive around their favorite airbase. In addition, a controllable 105mm Howitzer is included with animated gunners and the ability to fire. Players can also fire smoke rockets from the LT-6G or control the USS Monterey in multiplayer for their friends to land on. An AI version of the Monterey is also included for single player landings. Also included are some locator files that can be used to make movies with FS-Recorder. All Extras have virtual cockpits and animations. The Carrier even has an LSO that can be controlled.

Learn more here http://www.skyunlimited.net/

I wanted to release yesterday but it was snowing in Louisiana. The only real snow I have seen in my life. Couldn't help but build this snowman with my fiancee :-). We called him Bubba. He adds a whole new meaning to Stick-Em Up.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/pencil.png

hi Cerberus! wait for your instructions to get the discount!
my best regards, gianluca

llanning08
March 10th, 2010, 05:29
Enjoyed your Legacy of the Sky: Texans and Harvards Volume 1, as well as the W.A.S.P. piloted AT-6D Texan package. I fly them often. They are fun but challenging to fly. The AT-6 is one of my all time FS favorites!

I'm looking forward to your Texans Volume 2!