PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR in gunner's position?

ndicki
February 13th, 2010, 08:49
Is it possible to rig TrackIR to function in alternate crew positions? As it stands, it works only with the default pilot's viewpoint, which is a pity. Imagine using it to look out of the gunner's nacelles in the new Catalina!

So... Any ideas, or is it dead in the water?

Frosty
February 13th, 2010, 10:59
I posed that question some time ago, as I like the possibility too. The situational awareness as a gunner is much, much better if you can look around using TiR instead of using fixed viewpoints. The answer was, I believe, that it had to do with the way the viewpoint is tied to the moving part of the model (ie. turret guns). I do not exactly remeber if that means the gmax source model or that the viewpoint can be altered through the .xdp but my guess would be the former.
Although I realise that the drawback would be a more difficult firing solution, I hereby make an official plea to the a/c builders to let us try this with at least one aircraft...

ndicki
February 13th, 2010, 11:28
...Preferably the Catalina...

Frosty
February 13th, 2010, 12:19
... I 'd settle for the top turret on any heavy bomber :icon_lol: (the B-24 is still under construction... Ted? [begging voice])