PDA

View Full Version : Question re Vista "VirtualStore" and CFS3

wsmwsm
February 13th, 2010, 06:35
Accidently, I just discovered that buried deep in my AppData file (Vista) is a folder called "VirtualStore". Within that folder is another "MicrosoftGames" folder containing what appears to be old (now uninstalled) versions of CFS3, ETO, MAW, CFS2 etc. These aren't complete and basically contain a limited number of files/folders (Aircaft to Weapons) and the individual aircraft contain only BDP or TMP files.

Can anyone tell me what this is and whether these files have any impact on the current installs?

I discovered it only because my "vanilla" CFS3 install contained a single additional downloaded aircraft in the game which I though I had removed (the GC Fieseler). Although it appeared as a flyable plane in the game, it wasn't anywhere in my CFS3 install. A search eventually showed this aircraft (a full version for some reason) in the "Virtual Store" folder.

hairyspin
February 13th, 2010, 06:55
Curious! Windows 7 also has a VirtualStore folder in AppData. No idea what it's for yet mind you, and CFS3 has no folders there so far.

wsmwsm
February 13th, 2010, 09:32
I suspect - don't know for certain - that the files may only be created after you uninstall or remove a program.

estepp
February 21st, 2010, 04:35
I had alot of trouble with PTO, so I installed it again with the UAC turned off and it didnot creat the folder in the Vitualstore. Also installed OFF the same way and no OFF folder in the Virtualstore. I am not sure what the VirtualStore does but PTO works good now.

wsmwsm
February 21st, 2010, 07:26
I installed ETO Expansion with the UAC off (you have no choice but to do so). Yet ETO, like the rest which were installed with the UAC on, has files contained in the Virtual Store. Go figure.

Emile
February 22nd, 2010, 04:04
Hello, Some explanation ... but complicated ... for me :isadizzy:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387
:mixedsmi:

wsmwsm
February 22nd, 2010, 07:18
Yes, sure looks like Scenario 4. This explains how I thought I had deleted a file, yet it existed elsewhere.