PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Macro lens Q

kilo delta
February 12th, 2010, 04:19
I've decided to give in (yet again this month!:kilroy:) to my Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS). I'd like to try my hand at macro work and I've being eyeing up Nikon's 105mm F2.8 Micro lens in both AF-D and AI-S formats.....not willing to pay the premium for an AF-S and VR isn't required. Anyone got any advice on these choices? :isadizzy:The lens will be mounted on a D300.

grumpos
February 15th, 2010, 06:20
if you are going to be using the lens exclusively for macro work, I would say go for the ais lens. i never use auto focus for macro work, and much prefer the feel of a manual focus lens for this type of work.

Best wishes
Steve P

kilo delta
February 15th, 2010, 08:37
Thanks Steve :) :wavey:

Yeah...manual focusing tends to be the norm for Macro work, and this lens will be used exclusively for that particular role. I'm looking at a couple at the minute....so finger's crossed :icon_lol:

kilo delta
February 16th, 2010, 07:27
Purchased my Macro lens today.:) It's a fairly rare Kiron 105mm f/2.8 macro 1:1, manual focus,superb optics and built like a tank. Now, just gotta intercept the postman when he comes to deliver the CC statement!:kilroy::icon_lol:

Chacha
March 2nd, 2010, 07:54
Have you captured pictures on the new lens?

Please share.... :wavey:

kilo delta
March 2nd, 2010, 09:40
Hi Chacha...would you believe that I haven't used it yet!:kilroy: I've a couple of ideas for some shots though and will post them asap :icon_lol:

Chacha
March 2nd, 2010, 09:50
I hear ya...

I also have a lot of gadgets that I was excited about, purchased it, excited and can't sleep and eat for its arrival....

.... you are not alone...

Now it is accumulating dust in my closet... :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

kilo delta
March 2nd, 2010, 10:15
:icon_lol:

Just today I "found" my unused remote shutter release that I bought almost a year ago :isadizzy:...I'm a big spoiled kid at heart....I want,I want, I want....Gimme it now!!! The male equivalent of Veruca Salt :icon_lol::icon_lol:

dU7nG3KvZDA

kilo delta
March 3rd, 2010, 04:29
Okay...here's my first true macro shot (time to retire my extension tubes!:icon_lol:).

http://photos3.pix.ie/40/71/4071F5E512334FDA8C2DDB9590D07576-800.jpg (http://pix.ie/nforce/1539694)

:)

Chacha
March 3rd, 2010, 04:34
That is a great shot man....

Are those dew? Or water drops....

Man, there are really cool shots....

I started dusting my camera, took it off the shelf and started using it....

Here is what I got...

Not the same picture quality you got but hey, it's my camera...

Edit:

Ooops did not load... hold on...

Hannah's first job....

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1118&d=1267625428

My iPhone case:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1113&d=1267625285

Panther_99FS
March 3rd, 2010, 04:51
Great shot! :)

(I wonder if any of the Canon folks here will comment - I've commented on all brands shots in this forum) :engel016:

Cratermaker
March 3rd, 2010, 08:07
Those water(?) droplets are pretty cool. Are those colors in the background refraction from the droplets or something else?

kilo delta
March 3rd, 2010, 09:21
Thanks for the kind comments folks :)
The image is of some water droplets on a used compact disc. If you look at the image full size you can see where the laser has etched the digital information on the disc.
The shot above is my entry in a photo competition with a theme based on colours. As I had the new macro lens I decided that I'd use it.....it's also my first tripod shot and first time to use the remote shutter release too. :)

Great pics, Chacha......hope you'll keep up the good work now you've dusted off that camera! :icon_lol::applause:

Panther_99FS
March 3rd, 2010, 09:36
That is a great shot man....

Are those dew? Or water drops....

Man, there are really cool shots....

I started dusting my camera, took it off the shelf and started using it....

Here is what I got...

Not the same picture quality you got but hey, it's my camera...

Edit:

Ooops did not load... hold on...

Hannah's first job....

My iPhone case:

Yo' veo que las instrucciones se escriben in espanol....:mixedsmi:

Chacha
March 3rd, 2010, 19:47
The English version is what I was reading and the Spanish version is the one I grabbed as a shield to my iPhone so it won't get scratched...

Mi intiende espanol poquito, Senor!.... (I understood little Spanish)... :isadizzy:

AussieMan
March 3rd, 2010, 19:59
Chacha I recently achieved a life long dream and purchased a Nikon D3000. Haven't taken any shots with it yet as I am still trying to read the manual.

I haven't retired my Minolta film camera either. Plan to use both.

Cheers
Pat

Panther_99FS
March 3rd, 2010, 20:08
Aussie/Chacha,
JUST TAKE PICTURES & HAVE FUN!!!!
(BTW, the "Guide" mode on the D3000 should help you get started learning) :mixedsmi:

Chacha
March 3rd, 2010, 20:13
Aussie, Panther,

...Minolta film, ah yes... don't let it go... it's precious!

I have a problem with reading the manual....

I experiment first, aim and shoot....

If I mess up and something is not right, I learn it the hard way....

If I can't figure it out by error and error... then I refer to the manual... :isadizzy:

Not good but it is just me, ... maybe! :jump:

I am trigger happy now... here are some shots...

luckydog
March 3rd, 2010, 22:10
What are your light sources ??

kilo delta
March 4th, 2010, 01:13
Natural light from the patio door and on camera flash. Would have used my SB600 in commander mode but the batteries were dead and I didn't fancy waiting for them to recharge!:icon_lol:

Snuffy
March 4th, 2010, 03:19
Great Shot of the water drops!

kilo delta
March 4th, 2010, 04:33
Thanks Snuffy :ernae:. I'm gonna enjoy getting to grips with this lens.......must go hunting for some bugs!:icon_lol:

Kiwikat
March 5th, 2010, 20:06
Looks like you're enjoying it a lot. :)

I absolutely love my macro lens. It should be illegal for any company to make a lens as sharp as my 100mm f/2.8 macro. Someone could get killed by it! It is by far the most fun I've had with my camera yet.

kilo delta
March 6th, 2010, 04:02
Yep,Kiwi...I'm really looking forward to getting to grips with this lens. I was very fortunate in that the example that I bought is absolutely immaculate...doesn't look like it's ever been used! Amazing considering it's nigh on 30 years old now, yet meters just fine on my D300. :)