PDA

View Full Version : whats happening?

scruff
November 5th, 2008, 04:28
things have gone tits up with my mission builder.i tried to replace the b25 dp file with ai_dp file.this was to give it multi bombs.so i removed the original and palced the new file in.now when i load mission builder i get a screen pop up that says"failed to initialize data bases.reinstall.data files are missing or corrupted"i uninstalled then installed the game.still wont load mission builder and i get same message.also when i load game proper i get another message saying cant find model b25.i down loaded overhaul b25 and placed that in aircraft folder and still no good.what did i do wrong and how can it be fixed.any help appreciated.:banghead:

gedm
November 5th, 2008, 06:08
Did you add any aircraft or ships? If so, you might have gone over the limit.

Good luck

Tango_Romeo
November 5th, 2008, 08:04
- Are you talking about the stock CFS2 B-25 Mitchell?

- When you replaced the DP file in the B-25 aircraft folder with the new one, did you rename the new DP exactly the same as the old one?

- Did you delete the CDP file after installing the new DP?

- Please tell me that when you did all of this file switching, you had already exited MB and CFS2. :kilroy:

scruff
November 5th, 2008, 10:21
in answer to your questiouns:1.yes,stock b25.2. no,i did not rename dp file.3.dont think so 4.no.

Tango_Romeo
November 5th, 2008, 19:03
in answer to your questiouns:1.yes,stock b25.2. no,i did not rename dp file.3.dont think so 4.no.

...packed with the B-25 AI Bombs package read:

Place the B25_AI_Bombs. BGL file in the SCENEDB/weapons/scenery folder, the B25_AI_Bombs.DP in the OBJECTS_DP folder and the B-25D_Mitchell.DP file in the aircraft folder. (Don't forget to delete the CDP file.) You're done. Enjoy.

If you followed these, then the problem you are having did not come from the B-25, but some other aircraft or ship file that you have changed in error when doing so. Even a space in the wrong place will make a file name incorrect.

scruff
November 6th, 2008, 04:34
didnt get all of yourthread.wots packed with ai b25 bombs and where is cdp?

hewman100
November 7th, 2008, 02:08
The instructions are packed. Don't worry about that bit, it took me a little while to get used to T_Rs way of beginning posts in the subject line:d

The .cdp will be in the Aircraft file.

scruff
November 7th, 2008, 05:52
even when i goto free flight and start that i get a message saying cant initialze,files missing or corrupted,quiting quick combat.?i also get messages sayin cant find this plane or that plane,replace with b25?then when i goto more info,the map dont show properly.sometimes it will crash.something is f:censored:d up.ive uninstalled and installed the game 5 or 6 times now.could it be a virus and how do i fix?i was really getting into this game,still am.

simonu
November 7th, 2008, 06:21
Are you reinstalling to the same location, i.e C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2 ?
If so uninstalling reinstalling will not solve a problem caused by a modified file,
Reason. The installer only removes the files that match the filenames that are on the CDs.
Any subsiquent files will not be removed.
Your problem is caused by having more than one DP file with the same name, if you cant find the culprit and wish to create a fresh install of CFS2 the answer is really easy just rename the current install folder to \CFS2_screwed
Then you can make a fresh install of CFS2 from the disks and it will work fine.
If you want to modify CFS2, ie add planes ect and you have loads of disk space, Rename the new install folder \CFS2_stock and leave it alone as a back up, now you can Simply copy the whole folder and modify that install.
There should no longer be any need for the old uninstall reinstall dance, it doesnt fix user generated bugs and it wipes out addon planes and ships.

Tango_Romeo
November 7th, 2008, 12:02
From your answers above, it's obvious that you did not even read the directions for installing AI Bombs. So go back and review what you did, checking all the files to make sure you follow the instructions this time around. :ernae:

When you find the error, you're going to be surprised at how you could have overlooked it in the first place. :kilroy:

scruff
November 7th, 2008, 14:11
how do i rename installer files?

scruff
November 7th, 2008, 16:12
sorry,i meant how do i rename install folders?

simonu
November 7th, 2008, 16:13
press start button
go to my computer
open C drive
open program files
ignor warning about altering files within
open microsoft games
see file Combat Flight Simulator 2
right click it
select RENAME
name it CFS2_stuffed
job done
insert CFS2 CD and run install

scruff
November 10th, 2008, 07:46
thanks simonu,that worked a treat,got loads to learn.how do i back up files?wot is the root file?:jump:

Jagdflieger
November 10th, 2008, 07:51
Scruff,

The root file is the primary CFS 2 file. As installed it is:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2

It contains all of the sub files and folder such as your aircraft folder and cfg files.

Everyone has a different way of backing up a file, but I like to just add "-Orig" to the end of the file or folder name. That way it remains adjacent to the updated file when I want to find it or reactivate it.

Example: "airfields.dat" becomes "airfields-orig.dat"

scruff
November 10th, 2008, 12:59
good sir,you are a star.thank you.everything seems to be fine....for now.:ernae:

scruff
November 11th, 2008, 12:08
how do i unzipfolders?sorry to keep asking all these questions but i aint got a clue about pc's.

hewman100
November 12th, 2008, 02:51
If I've read you correctly XP certainly has its own inbuilt decompressor, but I'd suggest a copy of WinZip or WinRAR

gavinc
November 12th, 2008, 05:21
7zip
http://www.7-zip.org/

Gavin

scruff
November 13th, 2008, 12:37
no mate, not xp.im on vista.