PDA

View Full Version : 747-8 First Flight...

DaveKDEN
February 10th, 2010, 06:36
...Seems to have gone off relatively unnoticed.

http://747-8firstflight.com/

Dave

Jagdflieger
February 10th, 2010, 09:36
Dave,

Never would have known about it unless you posted.

The odd little uplift towards the wing tips as well as the scalloped edges at the rear end of the engines look intersting. Other than efficiency, do you have any idea about these first seen (for me anyway) modifications?

Wing_Z
February 10th, 2010, 09:47
It's a significant aircraft - Boeing has quietly produced a new wing, engines , and a myriad of evolutionary details drawn from Dreamliner technology.
Love those engine nacelles - less noise, more efficiency.
The wingtip is Boeing's answer to winglets (which for some reason they dislike) providing tip vortex control which reduces induced drag.
And significant because it has eaten all the A380's freighter orders.
Remains to be seen how the passenger version fares, I'd love to fly on it.

HundertzehnGustav
February 10th, 2010, 09:56
That it has eazsten the 380s freighter orders should not surprise anyone. Cargolux is used to handle elephants and Giraffes, Rocket parts and other BIG assemblies. one can not expect to put that kind of Cargo in a A380.... never ever. If they took out the central floor... it could be.... but that is not going to happen anytime soon.

Vive le Grand-duc; vive Cargolux!:jump:

Bjoern
February 10th, 2010, 13:27
Watched it live.

Wanted to post a link here, but the forums were down and I figured that most of youbunch of boring low and slow fliers (:icon_lol:) wouldn't care anyways.

Amazing to see how quiet the 748 is. And that they de-crapped the flap system. It resembles the one from the 74SP which had single-slotted flaps all the way.