PDA

View Full Version : Advice requested on buying a new FSX max PC

wellis
February 9th, 2010, 19:06
Hello Simmers,

I need some advice. I like to think I am reasonably computer literate but I have essentially reached the end of my patience with my current machine, and am having to admit maybe more than a little ignorance. 18 months or so ago maybe closerr to two years now, I purchased what I thought was a monster machine -Dell XPS 730, 3.2 ghx processor (supposedly over-clocked to 3.6), dual Nvidia GEForce 9800GX2 display adapters, 4gb of RAM, a so-so wide screen monitor and Windows Vista 32-bit (it is what was considered reliable at the time). And I thought to myself, Excellent! now I am finally going to be able to run FSX Accelleration SP2 full-bore with all the sliders maxed out, the display setting at 1920X1200X32 resolution, etc. Well, after the first 12 months of wrangling with Dell over the fact that it didn't come from the factory set up correctly (the RAID and so on), three motherboard changes, new memory simms and so on later, I finally had working as I wanted - or so I thought. I can indeed run it as described above, as long as I am not somewhere where scenery density would be high, and most enjoyable, for example Great Britain - where I am able to start at Duxford (with a very nice freeware add on scenery and aircraft), to Liverpool where it "fatal errors" before it even starts, or if it does start, a few minutes into the flight (and yes, I do have a lot of scenery addons) it tells me my computer has "run out of available memory" (oh yes, 4gb of Ram is the max this system can handle with WinVista 32 and hardware).

Anway, comments about the wisdom or lack thereof on my part in not realizing up front that FSX (or any other version of FS) can not take advantage of SLI tech (so the second card is a waste in that regard), and a general lack of research and knowledge on the inner-workings of either FSX (or my pc) - aside, I would greatly appreciate some feed back/opinions on what would be the ultimate system (an off-the shelf type such as one of the "Alienware" or "Jetline Systems", or something custom made - one that one of you out there might have or a configuration you might suggest. I would welcome all suggestions/opinions (other than something like "what a silly git"). Anyway, thanks in advance for any who might comment. William

harleyman
February 9th, 2010, 19:15
Hey and welcome to SOH...

You have to excuse the mess as we are in the middle of installing all new servers here and migrating everything across.so its a bit helter Skelter at best in places..

There are several here that build and sell for FSx...

Forget Alienware..Its just a dell now ...They bought them over a year ago..

I like socket 775 still for FSX for cost - performance.

I build many FSX machines..

You can see my plac here..

essentialcomputercare.com <------------------- copy / paste ..not sure why its broken Hmmmm

or write me at Computer.care1@yahoo.com

I will be glad to offer advice on components or make you a quote.....

Mason

wow...I can't copy and paste on the new V-Board for some reason...I need to pass this along.... Ok..Its working now.....