PDA

View Full Version : Noob Reporting In

Scratch
February 9th, 2010, 12:56
I found this place by accident and man am I glad I did! What version should I get?

gigabyte
February 9th, 2010, 13:17
The best buy is generally the Gold version, it includes both Reunion and Terran Conflict and all of the latest updates. If you want to be a pureist, start with Reunion and play the missions trhough then start Terran Conflict. Myself I have both loaded and switch back and forth regularly. The interface is slightly different in TC (TC=Terran Conflict) some say bettter, I just say different... the graphic's and gameplay are the same in both. I think the biggest differences between them is the larger universe in TC and the additional races and ships, although with Mods there is lots to add to Reunion.

Welcome aboard, and be prepared to be amazed, this is an awsome game, sim, alternate reality...lol

"And Another one BYTES the dust"...

Scratch
February 9th, 2010, 18:26
Thanks gigabyte! I see that Amazon has the Gold edition for around 17 bucks so I'll probably get it there. It sure looks purty.

GT182
February 10th, 2010, 12:09
Welcome aboard Scratch. Life as you know it will cease to exist. ;) LOL

The Gold pack does not have any DRMs in it. That being said, you will not need to use the discs to play X3, and no Starforce is in it either. And trust me, that alone is a good thing. :d

Scratch
February 10th, 2010, 13:54
Cool! I've been waiting for a really good space sim that had more than just blasting space varmints. I wanna be a trash hauler and enjoy the scenery for a change. This one looks like it fits the bill. I can't wait to try it.

GT182
February 10th, 2010, 14:22
Oh, I forgot to add. Use the vanilla versions to learn the controls. Once you feel comfortable try a mod. Some of us are using the Apricot Mapping Service mod.

If inclinded to travel the same path as us, here's a couple of links you will like.

AMD HQ.... http://apricotmappingservice.com/

Index of X3TC downloads..... http://apricotmappingservice.com/X3TCdownloads/

Scratch
February 13th, 2010, 12:46
Hopefully I'll get it today. Still waiting on the mailman.

Scratch
February 16th, 2010, 15:13
Still don't have it yet. Mardi Gras slowed down everything over here. I downloaded the X3 Reunion demo and man it sure is gorgeous! Looks like it was released yesterday.

Lionheart
February 20th, 2010, 19:19
Still don't have it yet. Mardi Gras slowed down everything over here. I downloaded the X3 Reunion demo and man it sure is gorgeous! Looks like it was released yesterday.

IMHO, X3TC is much nicer then X3R. There are a ton of additions to it, animated features on stations, bump mapping is incredible, tons of more ships. But there are a ton of Reunion players that love the game and story line too much to give it up. (Sort of like me with FS2004, lol).

Bill

Scratch
February 20th, 2010, 19:52
I finally got it. Looks like Reunion got some graphical upgrades. Dang it sure is pretty to look at! I haven't really gotten into the manual yet. I've just been flying around, docked a few times and blasted some pirates and Zenons. I still haven't decided which one I will play first.

Before I start are there any must have addons I need to add?

Lionheart
February 21st, 2010, 02:01
Before I start are there any must have addons I need to add?

Congrats!

I'll let Mike or Gary answer this one as they are hard core X3R people. I 'think' its the Apricot package, but I might be wrong. It might be for X3TC only.

Bill

gigabyte
February 21st, 2010, 04:29
Well for Reunion the must have IMHO is the Xtended Mod, it is basically a big expansion of the X Universe and the addition of the Terran Sectors, in other words a complete remake of the game. There are plenty of new sectors and ships, and some really neat effects that really enhance the game. In fact the Xtended Mod was the basis for Terran Conflict, Ergosoft was encouraging 3rd party development and when that team put out the XTD Mod (as it has become to be called) Ergosoft used it to update Reunion and Terran Conflict was the result.

You can get the Mod Here - http://www.thexuniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12886

I highly suggest registering and looking over the X Universe forum there is plenty of stuff there to customize your game, and a few other Mods that can give you a change of pace. I actually have 4 mods installed and flip back and forth once in awhile (it gets tricky swapping mods but it can be done). I mostly play Xtended, but I also have New Horizons, DDRS, and Roguneys installed. I would recommend any of them, but I think XTD is your best bet to start.

Check some of the other topics there are tips on installing and managing the various mods, and if you run into problems let me know I am getting fairly good with most of the Mods.

I did start a topic to review the Mods and have gotten side tracked, but I plant to get back at it as soon as I have some time, hopefully it will be helpful when it gets some more attention from yours truly.

Scratch
February 22nd, 2010, 13:47
Thanks guys! I'm just having a blast flying around looking at stuff. I haven't even started reading the manual yet. This sim is stunning to say the least. I find it very relaxing.

gigabyte
February 22nd, 2010, 16:08
Thanks guys! I'm just having a blast flying around looking at stuff. I haven't even started reading the manual yet. This sim is stunning to say the least. I find it very relaxing.

I think that is just about the way we all started, and one of the nicer features of the sim, you can just take it easy and explore, or jump right in a blow stuff up. Then again you could go to the Dark Side like Chacha did and start smuggling Space fuel and be sneaking abound all the time...lol

Take your time, enjoy the scenery and when you are ready, ahve no fear there is plenty of action out there just waiting for you.

Oh on ething I forgot tp mention in the Must Have post, if you are like most of us the one thing you will want is the cockpits mod, it gives you a VC of sorts (no clickable buttons, but ther eare working guages) and I can't seem to enjoy the sim with out that one.

Check this post on the Ergosoft forum for the Mod and install instructions - http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=254635 (http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=254635)

If you have any problems doing the install le t me know I have it in all my game versions.

Chacha
February 23rd, 2010, 04:22
I think that is just about the way we all started, and one of the nicer features of the sim, you can just take it easy and explore, or jump right in a blow stuff up. Then again you could go to the Dark Side like Chacha did and start smuggling Space fuel and be sneaking abound all the time...lol

Smuggling Space Fuel was a fun experience..... I earned dollars for pennies.....

I learned that the authorities do not scan unmanned vessels so, I wasn't running and hiding, I was doing it in the open.... under their very nose.... :pop4:

I was guilty and it haunted me in my nightmare so I abandoned my ship that carries tons of Space Fuel....

Sometimes doing a bad thing even in your imagination is still a bad thing.... :isadizzy:

You might find them floating in the XUniverse somewhere!

There was someone among us who joined the Pirate army (I forgot who he was)

I wonder how his pirating was/is? :pop4: