PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a new toy.

Cazzie
February 9th, 2010, 06:00
Way back when I took only 35-mm transparencies. I probably have 5000 or more. Old NASCAR, old friends, old stuff. I had a Transparency Materials Adapter for my scanner, but it never lived up to my expectations and was slower than molasses scanning at 1200 dpi.

So I did some shopping for a dedicated slide/negative scanner and ordered one. Should arrive this week and I'll be busy cleaning slides and scanning some old nostalgia for you folks. I have been wanting something like this to archive these old slides, I cannot even find a lamp for the old projector I have. LOL. So I'll be a busy old fellow the next month or so.

Caz

Henry
February 9th, 2010, 06:10
What scanner did you order?
H

Kiwikat
February 9th, 2010, 09:12
Cool!

Feel free to post those old nascar shots! :wavey::jump:

Cazzie
February 9th, 2010, 15:45
What scanner did you order?
H

I got a Wolverine F2D from Tiger Direct Henry, $139.95 with instant $40.00 discount.

TYeZfnjii88

It's a charm, came this afternoon and I have been scanning since. It's stand alone and one should have an SD card to save scans for later editing in a graphics editor. But it is miles abobe the Transparent Material Adapyer I had for the old scanner. Much higher resolution, better lightening, and quit as a blink.

Example below, old NASCAR will be in the Racer's Paddock when done kiwikat. Other stuff will be in here.

Caz

luckydog
February 9th, 2010, 23:20
I've been lookin' at one of those for several years now.

Then I look at the boxes and boxes and thousands of slides and...................:pop4:

Cazzie
February 10th, 2010, 01:17
I've been lookin' at one of those for several years now.

Then I look at the boxes and boxes and thousands of slides and...................:pop4:

LD, trust me, I know how hard it is to paw through them with no thumbs!

Both of my thumbs are split at the nails to bejesus from the outdoor work I have had to do in this harsh weather.

Get you a small $8.00 slide viewer from Radio Shack or the like. Get some good brushes for cleaning too, because every piece of dust will show up in the scan.

It is actually $99.95 using the $40.00 instant rebate, my writing is misleading.

Caz

Henry
February 10th, 2010, 05:30
Looks pretty good
i used to use a Nikon coolscan when i was working
went way over the top scanning 60 meg files
good for filling up a hard drive in a hurry
i did like digital ice and Digital Roc for fixing faded slides
But darn they are expensive,
flatbed scanners with slide attachments in my opinion
are never successful
that one does look good
Fathers day is comming up
have to tell the girls:guinness:
Thanks
H

Cazzie
February 10th, 2010, 08:53
Looks pretty good
i used to use a Nikon coolscan when i was working
went way over the top scanning 60 meg files
good for filling up a hard drive in a hurry
i did like digital ice and Digital Roc for fixing faded slides
But darn they are expensive,
flatbed scanners with slide attachments in my opinion
are never successful
that one does look good
Fathers day is comming up
have to tell the girls:guinness:
Thanks
H

Henry, it was a cheap way out for me, not wanting to spend three figures for a Roc or four figures for a Nikon or Canon. I highly recommend it as a cheap way to archive old transparencies. The down side is, one must clean the transparencies to the max, the scan will capture every spot, dust speck, hair, animal titter, etc. Even after cleaning, you will spend far more time during post-processing doing touch-up than the usual bits like color and light.

So much better than a TMA with a flatbed scanner. :medals::icon29:

Caz

Henry
February 10th, 2010, 11:38
even with digital ice
you still have to do some work
and it does lose sharpness
if you are getting trash its probably a good sharp scan
dust is and has always been a bitch
with film even with cotton gloves anti static cleaners etc
and if you get a scratch its harder
H

Cazzie
February 10th, 2010, 12:01
even with digital ice
you still have to do some work
and it does lose sharpness
if you are getting trash its probably a good sharp scan
dust is and has always been a bitch
with film even with cotton gloves anti static cleaners etc
and if you get a scratch its harder
H

Henry, these slides are anywhere from 25 to 50 years old! :icon_lol:

I am so far fully satisfied of the results for the price. It is amazingly sharp as can be seen and little color adjustment is really needed either. There is more work wiht the Clone Tool in P=P than anything else! :173go1:

BTW, piccie above is the engine from a Morgan Plus-4.

Caz