PDA

View Full Version : Who runs on DirectX 10?

SirBenn21
February 9th, 2010, 03:18
Just wondering? I get flashing runways and the like using DX10.
Is there a fix?

Ben

wiltzei
February 9th, 2010, 03:41
Yes, a fix has been discovered, http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=267998.

I donīt personally use it, as AA is not available as far as I know.

falcon409
February 9th, 2010, 04:16
. . . . .I donīt personally use it, as AA is not available as far as I know.
Same here, also I fly a lot of portover aircraft, most of which are not compatible in DXT10. . .and finally, I haven't really seen anything in DXT10 that just knocks my socks off in terms of visuals. Had the ACES Team continued on we might have seen more from it with the next release of Flight Sim, but now, I don't think DXT10 and it's full potential will see the light of day any time soon..

crazysundog
February 9th, 2010, 04:34
DX10 here....my OS and GPU are geared for it, and I see a HUGE difference in visuals and see an extra 10 FPS over DX9. Yes, my runways flicker, although not all of them, and I am slowly updating the airports I frequent with the fix mentioned above. If I had to fly in DX9, I probably would not fly in FSX.

PS: Antialiasing is available for me... I'm running Vista 64bit and an EVGA GTX 260 gpu.

It is too bad that the we'll likely never see the full potential of DX10, and its only a half arsed effort at this point, but for me it is an improvement.

noddy
February 9th, 2010, 04:47
I to run DX10, the flicker is not an issue as I spend most of the time in the air. DX10 does offer better water textures and I think clouds shadowing as well.

Agreed that is also rund smoother than DX9.

falcon409
February 9th, 2010, 05:18
. . . . .PS: Antialiasing is available for me... I'm running Vista 64bit and an EVGA GTX 260 gpu. . . . .
Let us know how you did that. I haven't run DX10 one time where I was ever able to get AA to work. The fps increase is more on a system by system basis really and not an "across the board" guarantee with everyone who runs DX10. I would wager that if the poll remains skewed to those who don't run DX10, I would bet that one of the reasons is that they don't see any real advantage over DX9 as far as fps is concerned. If I could get a 10fps increase automatically by switching to DX10, I'd have done that a long time ago. Also as I mentioned in my first post, I fly a lot of ports. I have around 50 basic aircraft (not included variations of each and also not including the default FSX aircraft) and of those a little more than 30 are port overs. None of them are compatible with DX10 and I enjoy them too much to dump them for the few gains I might see in DX10.

HippyEd
February 9th, 2010, 05:25
Run DX10 here. No problems with AA. The fix for flickering runways works like a charm. No going back now.

Henry
February 9th, 2010, 05:38
I run both
just depends on what and where i am flying
but DX10 does give me grief with my video memory
and freezes after a while
H

deimos256
February 9th, 2010, 05:39
I'm not going to vote yet as the jury is still out for me. Ever since I went from xp to w7x64 I have been suffering from only having 2gb of memory. I have an extra 4gb coming tomorrow so after that I'll test dx10 out. The breif time I used it I noticed some improved visuals and while there was no aa in the aircraft preview window in free flight, in game I had aa. No idea how I got it really. I didn't know there was a fix for the flickering. I might have to check it out again.

crazysundog
February 9th, 2010, 05:59
Let us know how you did that. I haven't run DX10 one time where I was ever able to get AA to work. The fps increase is more on a system by system basis really and not an "across the board" guarantee with everyone who runs DX10. I would wager that if the poll remains skewed to those who don't run DX10, I would bet that one of the reasons is that they don't see any real advantage over DX9 as far as fps is concerned. If I could get a 10fps increase automatically by switching to DX10, I'd have done that a long time ago. Also as I mentioned in my first post, I fly a lot of ports. I have around 50 basic aircraft (not included variations of each and also not including the default FSX aircraft) and of those a little more than 30 are port overs. None of them are compatible with DX10 and I enjoy them too much to dump them for the few gains I might see in DX10.

No trick to get it to work, just select DX10 and restart the flightsim. I do believe you have to have a 200 generation Nvidia card for it to work tho, I cant comment on ATI as i've never owned one. I think the drivers used are important as well. I DONT use Nhancer, because that doesnt work at all for me, just the default nvidia settings menu. AA does not work in the FreeFlight select aircraft menu...I attribute that to the DX10 being 'half-done'.

I have to take back the comment on DX10 getting 10 better frames however, I just ran another bench and witnessed comparable frames in both 9 + 10....but I dont know when that changed, it used to be worse in 9...must have been a driver/setting change. DX10 still looks better, so I will still use it.

Its really to bad we wont likely see a 'patch' to fully implement DX10, I'm sure there are many more enhancements we could see.

grunau_baby
February 9th, 2010, 07:02
DX9 here! Why? I am using the ENBseries fix to improve visuals and omit bloom and water configurator which does not work in DX10. Moreover I dislike the flickering very much as the light artificial water-color and overal hue of the graphics. Looks very gamish and artificial to me.

But I must admit I like the definite gain in FPS I get when using DX10 once in a while!

Alex

deimos256
February 9th, 2010, 08:32
I have an 8800 gts and I have aa in dx10. I had to set aa mode to enhance application setting to get it though.

Kiwikat
February 9th, 2010, 09:10
FSX was designed for DX9. That's what I use.

6297J
February 9th, 2010, 09:26
I have always only run in DX10 mode. The performance benefit is huge for me and the slight flickering of taxiways is no distraction whatsoever as I spend minimal time on the ground.
I have tried DX9 and everything looks dull in comparison and the performance is noticeably worse. And I can't think of a single aircraft add-on I miss from the DX9 only days.

Q9650, Rampage Formula, 8GB Ram, HD4870X2

Mr.Mugel
February 9th, 2010, 09:43
I use DX10, too, as it just works better, water looks way better, as well as the framerates. I can use bloom without it having a big effect on FPS. In DX9 my base frames were lower, and I lost about 10fps when enabling bloom. Anti-Aliasing is no problem for me either, only in the free flight preview window, I have an image without anti-aliasing, in flight everything is fine. That is on a FX8600GT.... The contra is flickering, disturbing sometimes, but I donīt mind it too much, and the loss of the visual taxi instructions, but as I am very rarely on bigger airports, I donīt mind it much either.

I do miss some older addons, but I couldnīt afford the framerate loss anyway, so at least I quickly see what works and what not in DX10....

Odie
February 9th, 2010, 10:45
To be honest, I have yet to enable DX10 mode since I installed FSX. Since it was billed as a preview I guess my thinking is I'm not missing that much. :cool:

Francois
February 9th, 2010, 11:01
Do you mean if we run DX10 on our PC or the FSX Preview Mode when simming, the latter requiring DX10 ??? There IS a difference, you know.....

mfitch
February 9th, 2010, 12:28
Sometimes I turn on DX10 along with a few extra features. Usually this is off though because I use NVidia's 3D shutter glasses, and that does not work with the DX10 preview feature (along with light bloom I think).

Bjoern
February 9th, 2010, 12:36
AA is limited to 2x in DX10, so no thanks.

crazysundog
February 9th, 2010, 16:55
AA is limited to 2x in DX10, so no thanks.

Yes, but that 2x AA in DX10 mode is just as good as 8xQ AA in DX9....with less of a hit to frames.....So yes please and thank you!!

falcon409
February 9th, 2010, 19:52
To be honest, I have yet to enable DX10 mode since I installed FSX. Since it was billed as a preview I guess my thinking is I'm not missing that much. :cool:
. . .and you would be right Odie. It probably had a lot of potential and some folks find an increase in fps with it, but across the board it's not something you've just gotta have.

DennyA
February 9th, 2010, 20:41
DX10 here. Enjoy the better visuals, and couldn't live without the 10 fps frame rate boost given that I fly so often in the Seattle area. :)

cvearl
February 9th, 2010, 20:46
DX10 = no AA in FSX last I tried it.

Don't like having saw blades for wings. :icon_lol:

DX9 for me I guess. For now.

crazysundog
February 9th, 2010, 21:13
DX10 = no AA in FSX last I tried it.

Don't like having saw blades for wings. :icon_lol:

DX9 for me I guess. For now.

No AA in DX10????

YOU ARE WRONG.

Bjoern
February 10th, 2010, 13:14
Yes, but that 2x AA in DX10 mode is just as good as 8xQ AA in DX9...

Err no.

2*AA will always be inferior to 8*AA, no matter the DX version.

deimos256
February 10th, 2010, 14:08
I gave it another shot today and with dx10 i actually get half the frames as dx9, along with no tooltips and the cs c130's smoke gets messed up by it, Ill stick with dx9

crazysundog
February 10th, 2010, 16:46
Err no.

2*AA will always be inferior to 8*AA, no matter the DX version.

If that is so, then the statement that DX10 is limited to 2*AA is false....I've tested this and found that the AA looks better in DX10 set at 8Q*AA than it does with 2*AA and DX9. I will post some screenies when I have a chance later tonight.

One thing is for sure, DX10 is not going to behave the same way on different rigs...

I love it, but I am definately in the minority!

DB93
February 10th, 2010, 17:57
DX10 only here. I fixed the flickering runways around Florida (which is where I fly 95% of the time anyway). I get better performance, no scenery spikes and am able to run slightly higher settings. The graphics do appear to have better color saturation to me as well (they look more natural in my opinion), but that's opinion, and only opinion, since things like that are subjective at best.

I only use in-game anti-aliasing (I never force it at the driver level, and feel it looks good enough using the in-game setting), and as far as aliasing goes, I don't see any more (nor any less) jaggies under DX10 vs DX9. But under DX10, I can easily see the difference between turning AA on and off, so it definitely does work under DX10 (but possibly not forced through the driver). This is using an 9800GT 1GB card.

In the end, the added performance (on my machine) is well worth running DX10 alone. I did switch back and forth for a bit between DX9 and DX10, to keep flying some older FS9 planes I liked, but I've since uninstalled those planes and fly exclusively DX10 now. The performance difference for me is too great to ignore.

Just my 2 cents.
-George

ryanbatc
February 10th, 2010, 18:41
DX10 = yuck

vora
February 10th, 2010, 23:02
DX10 = 20+ FPS boost for me, no blurries, no spikes, great AA.
It looks like you need a high-end computer/graphics card/OS to really see the difference. On XP 32 with 4 GB I couldn't see advantages with DX10, only disadvantages. On W7 64 with 8 GB I don't wanna go back to DX9 ever!

SpaceWeevil
February 10th, 2010, 23:37
I just tried DX10 on a fresh install of FSX/Acceleration and saw an average 10 fps DROP and much increased stuttering compared with DX9 on my system - Vista 32, AMD Phenom Quad + GeForce 9800GT with the latest driver and DirectX. It looked nice, no flickering or anything, but it was virtually unplayable. It's back to DX9, nHancer and Nick N's tweaks for me.

Bjoern
February 11th, 2010, 08:04
If that is so, then the statement that DX10 is limited to 2*AA is false....I've tested this and found that the AA looks better in DX10 set at 8Q*AA than it does with 2*AA and DX9. I will post some screenies when I have a chance later tonight.

Yes please since your reply is a bit...confusing...

If I read it right you can indeed run 8xAA in DX10 mode?

IanP
February 11th, 2010, 08:32
Tutorial 11: Starting position, identical settings:

DX9: (8 x anti-aliasing)
43fps windowed
45fps fullscreen

DX10:
31fps windowed
35fps fullscreen

So... Prosecution rests. My rig, like most, has no performance advantage running DX10 and many disadvantages. Water looks nice, though! ;)

(Edit: I do get AA in DX10 preview by the way. Masses of flickering and a big drop in frame rate, but there's no problem with AA)

SirBenn21
February 11th, 2010, 15:42
I tried DX10 and unfortunatly I got UGLY. The FPS were not to bad, but I got flashing textures. Will post pictures later and maybe you can tell me what I'm going wrong. :kilroy:

Ben

cvearl
February 11th, 2010, 15:59
How do you get vSync in DX10 mode without the screen flash when opening ATC window then? If we can solve that and the flickering runways I will go right back to Vista FSX again. I have 2 installs on 2 partitions. XP and Vista so I can go back and fourth.

Seems I need to look closer at the AA thing in FSX. It is in the aircraft preview window I saw jaggies on the wing edge really bad when I used DX10 Preview Mode. Perhaps not like that in game? Will have to look closer next time.

Charles.

smithcorp
February 11th, 2010, 16:29
I had no real option except to run DX10 and I'm happy to have it. After upgrading my Vid card I was getting terrible framerates and graphical spiking and seemingly no way to get it working properly under DX9.

I selected DX10 and everything was much faster (up to 10 times more frames per second) and smoother with no graphical spiking. The AA is not as good as my previous DX9 experience, but it's okay and I can fly 9the most important thing).

crazysundog
February 11th, 2010, 18:51
OK, so here is DX9 with 2X AA enabled....

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/crazysundog/th_2010-2-11_18-15-12-516.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/crazysundog/?action=view&current=2010-2-11_18-15-12-516.jpg)

And here is DX10 with 8xQ AA enabled...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/crazysundog/th_2010-2-11_18-19-49-448.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/crazysundog/?action=view&current=2010-2-11_18-19-49-448.jpg)

I know these pictures are not that great, they really dont do what I'm seeing in real time any justice. But, notice the rotor blade in the DX9 photo has blurry jaggies...Well in real time those jaggies are moving, kind of sliding down the rotor blade. The DX10 pic looks a little better, but the picture does not show how much better it looks with movement. Yes, the AA in DX10 could be better, but I hope I'm making my point when I say that DX10 is not limited to 2xAA.

DX10 looks much better on my rig, and I'm happier with it.

cvearl
February 11th, 2010, 19:09
OK, so here is DX9 with 2X AA enabled....

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/crazysundog/th_2010-2-11_18-15-12-516.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/crazysundog/?action=view&current=2010-2-11_18-15-12-516.jpg)

And here is DX10 with 8xQ AA enabled...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/crazysundog/th_2010-2-11_18-19-49-448.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/crazysundog/?action=view&current=2010-2-11_18-19-49-448.jpg)

I know these pictures are not that great, they really dont do what I'm seeing in real time any justice. But, notice the rotor blade in the DX9 photo has blurry jaggies...Well in real time those jaggies are moving, kind of sliding down the rotor blade. The DX10 pic looks a little better, but the picture does not show how much better it looks with movement. Yes, the AA in DX10 could be better, but I hope I'm making my point when I say that DX10 is not limited to 2xAA.

DX10 looks much better on my rig, and I'm happier with it.

That aint how my 8xAA looks. Something is strange. I will try to attach a couple of 8xAA from mine. This is an ATI 4870 with 8xAA in XP Sp3 DX9 mode. 1680x1050 res.

Coupla beautiful birds right there.

crazysundog
February 11th, 2010, 19:32
The first pic i posted was of DX9 in 2xAA, not 8. 8xAA looks better of course, but it looks the same as what i have with DX10.... I thought i remember reading somewhere that DX10 is restricted to 4xAA in FSX, but with some optimizations. I think it was on the Nvidia forums, but cant be sure cuz i cant find it again.

cvearl
February 11th, 2010, 19:57
The first pic i posted was of DX9 in 2xAA, not 8. 8xAA looks better of course, but it looks the same as what i have with DX10.... I thought i remember reading somewhere that DX10 is restricted to 4xAA in FSX, but with some optimizations. I think it was on the Nvidia forums, but cant be sure cuz i cant find it again.

ok. Hey here's a nice shot. 8xAA again though. I made it whilst you were typing. :)

Daube
February 12th, 2010, 01:40
Crazysundog, in your DX10 shot, it doesn't really look like 8x AA.
8x AA looks much better than that. Just look at the main rotor, we can see all the pixels on the side of the blade. This is not supposed to happen in 8xAA, is it ?

crazysundog
February 12th, 2010, 05:26
No, but like i said in my last post, I'm sure I've heard somewhere that DX10 uses 4xAA with some kind of optimization that makes it better than the DX9 AA. I'm sure that DX10 WILL NOT use 8x....but I do know that on my computer the quality of the AA is much better with DX10...in DX9, even with 16xQ AA on I see a rippling or 'running' effect, where the edge of something looks liquid and runs down the edge of the rotor. It looks great in a screeshot, but not in motion.

I'm wondering if I'll have time to make a short video to show this effect this weekend...not sure that it's worth my time though.

p14u2nv
February 13th, 2010, 11:14
Apparently I have been upgraded to DX11 and unbeknownst to me. I have Vista set up to automatically dload updates but alerts me. I do not remember upgrading to this next level of DX.

According to M$, this update also includes parts for DX9 and DX10 in addition to the all new DX11. That is to my understanding.

Now I can honestly say that FSX is as smooth as it's ever been and the flashing that I sometimes experienced with DX10 is now gone. I do not see any substantial increase in FPS however, I set that at unlimited.

I have since increased my "traffic;" airline and GA, autos, and boats. It seems to be running fine and very much smoother at other higher settings now too. I am no expert, but rather a tinkerer so to speak, just like many others from what I read here!

As far as setting AA I was under the impression that it was far better to set AA at the graphics card itself and leave it unchecked in the sim(s). Has that changed again? Just curious.

Just my two cents worth. I posted this here as I saw many who have resigned themselves to stick with DX9 in lieu of DX10. Maybe DX11 will help you too.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee416644(VS.85).aspx

Vista 64
i7 920
6GB DDR3
ATI 4850 512 oc
2 320 Seagates, Raid 0

Francois
February 14th, 2010, 02:26
Your understanding of the AA settings dates back to FS9. THERE it was needed to switch OFF in the sim and set it at the card's drivers.

That CHANGED with FSX and younow have to set it in the SIM, whether you have DX9 or DX10 running doesn't make a difference.
What DOES make a difference is whether you have an NVidia or ATI based card. FSX works best with (most) NVidia's. period. Yes, I have heard about the 58xx ATI's finally catching up... we'll see... ;-)

Preview Mode is in my view still an 'experiment' where the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't see 'jaggies' in my own shots, using DX10 in regular sim mode, whereas I have seen DX10 Preview Mode looking awful at some rigs, where owner STILL maintained it was the best thing since sliced bread.

I don't think it is worth discussing ..... :pop4:

p14u2nv
February 15th, 2010, 16:11
Well I can say that one learns something new every day. I must have missed that part about AA. But FSX runs very well on my machine and it always has. Maybe I'm just the exception to this one rule...glad something is working out for a change though!

I have never had a single problem with any ATI cards other than occassional driver issues over the years.

GT182
February 20th, 2010, 17:49
DX9 here all the way. It's just like Timex..... "takes a lickin and keeps on tickin". :bump:

Kull
March 1st, 2010, 08:55
I want fly whith others pliots

MCDesigns
March 1st, 2010, 09:08
I want fly whith others pliots

Welcome kull, see here

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?13-CFS2-IP-Games

guzler
March 1st, 2010, 10:43
My FSX doesn't like DX10 either, more stutery, slower frame rates but the water around TNCM looks gorgeous.
Running I7 920, ATI 4850, 6Mb RAM, Win7 64.

idancesafetydance
March 13th, 2010, 12:19
I like DX 9, but it sometimes acts just as wierd for me as DX 10 does, I don't know why. Could it be because I natively run DX11 (ATI 5870+Win7) or what?

harleyman
March 14th, 2010, 03:07
Well..After such a long time of having Acceleration off my machines, I decided to load it up last night with my new install..

I must say...No config tweaks at all, , and only GEX and UTX installed so far...

Locked at 40 , running DX10 in weather, I was getting 28-35 frames that were very smooth

But...I dont get the hype about it..It all but looks the same to me....:bump:

ananda
March 14th, 2010, 05:33
There is no contest on my DX10 system.

Using an FS9 model.

DX9, 27fps

[/URL]
[URL=http://img710.imageshack.us/i/seakingdx9.jpg/]http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/9853/seakingdx9.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/i/seakingdx9.jpg/)

DX10, 40fps

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2195/seakingdx10.jpg (http://img26.imageshack.us/i/seakingdx10.jpg/)

No apparent difference in AA

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/5816/nhancerdx10.jpg (http://img691.imageshack.us/i/nhancerdx10.jpg/)

George

warchild
March 14th, 2010, 09:07
Welll, i can see enough of an appreciable difference betwen dx9 and dx10/11 on my machine to get hot and heavy over the new stuff. What clinches it for me, is dx10/11s inability to deal with dx9 model textures.Since so many plans i enjoy are from fs9, and they run so much better on fsx, i use dx9 so i can fly them. its a no brainer..

ananda
March 14th, 2010, 10:43
What clinches it for me, is dx10/11s inability to deal with dx9 model textures.

The Seaking in the above shot is an FS9 model :icon_lol:

Tweek
March 15th, 2010, 13:47
Been 100% DX9 up until now, but just tested out DX10 and saw a massive improvement in FPS. Not had a chance to test different aircraft out yet, but DX9 was giving ~25FPS, peaking at 30, and with identical settings, DX10 is giving ~35FPS, peaking at around 47. The only problem is the enbseries DLL is no longer working. Is there a DX10 version for it?

MCDesigns
March 28th, 2010, 17:34
Been reading thru this thread, the one at the FTX forums and other forums and what gets me the most is how defensive some can get towards DX10 when users that want to get the most out of it get told in direct terms, "it's a preview, get over it!". maybe so, but I have been flying more and more with DX10 and all the little difference really enhance my experience. I notice better performance, I just love what the extra shaders do for deep water, the white caps are sweet, and having cockpit shadows really enhances the experience since I fly helis mostly.
yeah I get the occasional flickering at airports which usually can be fixed, the issue that custom ground polys have and a few FS9 aircraft have some textures issues, but it's give and take like anything else in life.

Here's hoping that one day we can find a fix for these things and even discover new things that DX10 can make shine and thus further our enjoyment of the sim.

NWarty
April 1st, 2010, 07:40
I run on DX10 mainly for the additional frame boost and smoothness. But my water under DX9 2x mid looks SO MUCH better. For whatever reason DX10 water isn't even close to the DX9 water on my system. The runway flickering doesn't bother me.

[EDIT] Apparently the water issue lies with REX2.0. I didn't select the DX10 optimization in REX's options. Will have to fix it when I get home this evening.

warchild
April 1st, 2010, 22:15
Soooooo, how did you get dx9 textures to work in DX10?? curious minds want to know..

NWarty
April 1st, 2010, 23:44
I didn't...

After talking with Tim over at REX, it can't be done. But apparently FSWC+ will have DX10 support.

UnknownGuest12
April 2nd, 2010, 08:16
Want to go Windows 7 and running Nvidia 285 on direct x 9...and REX 2
One question...as far as I read it looks like we can change aleatory between direct 9 and 10..
Is this true? Wich one do you Gents, think best? looks like 10, no?

Best regards

italoc
April 29th, 2010, 06:59
Want to go Windows 7 and running Nvidia 285 on direct x 9...and REX 2
One question...as far as I read it looks like we can change aleatory between direct 9 and 10..
Is this true? Wich one do you Gents, think best? looks like 10, no?

Best regards

We can allright but, for my system, as soon I installed Accel I was usiing DX10 very well (switching on/off DX9/DX10 at will) then, all of a sudden, switching on DX10 opening screen goes black and FSX refuse to start !!!!!
This the reason why I fly in DX9 mode !!!
Has anybody had same strange ....grrrrrr ??????

Italo

crazysundog
April 29th, 2010, 08:25
It sounds like you dont have DX10 drivers, or you have installed the Bloom mod, which is a DX9 based effects mod.

sidler
April 30th, 2010, 05:00
I am using Win 7 (ultimate)..switching on/off DX9/DX10 at will. Everything is awesome, FPS in the 50's and 60'S. All sliders to the right!

The only problem is I can't find an image grabber or screenshot that works.

Dick

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
CPU Cooling: Stock Intel HS&F
Motherboard: Intel DX58SO Extreme
RAM: 3 x 2GB G.Skill 1333MHz DDR3 HP Triple Channel
Graphics:BFG Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 640mhz (DX-10)
Sound: Creative SBX-Fi Audio [1000]
Monitor: Samsung 24" 2443BW LCD
Primary Hard Drive: Western Digital 150GB VelociRaptor SATA2
Secondary Hard Drive: Old Western Digital 74GB Raptor
Optical Drive: Pioneer DVD-RW 216BK SATA
Power Supply: Seasonic 700W M12
Case: Cooler Master Stacker 832 SE

ananda
April 30th, 2010, 06:13
ScreenHunter 5 Free works fine.

George

sidler
April 30th, 2010, 12:20
Thanks George...yes it worked real nice.

Dick

Ark
May 9th, 2010, 20:12
ScreenHunter 5 Free works fine.

George

Thank you!

Been looking for one that works as well.

LouP
August 1st, 2011, 21:06
I actually like DX10 mode for the performance gains but the flickering scenery drives me nuts so I usually keep it on DX9.

LouP

Mathias
August 1st, 2011, 23:38
I see that DX10 flickering on run- and taxyways only on larger airports, those that have that yellow taxyway lines.
Since I avoid them like the plague anyway it's a nobrainer, DX10 all the way.
Better performance in DX10, much less impact on fps when using bloom and more hassle-free in regards to AA.
The newer third party airfield addons do not suffer from that flickering btw. That seems to be true at least for the ORBX USA/Canada airfields.

warchild
August 2nd, 2011, 08:04
meh. On my machine, DX-10 gives me one setting of 1280x720, when my screen is 1920x1080.. looks like hell, and the rest of the anomalies ( flickering, too bright, missing textures etc ) make it not worth it...

mmann
August 2nd, 2011, 09:20
My FSX computer is running Windows XP so picking which version of DirectX to use is a no-brainer; it's DX9 or nothing! :icon_lol:

Regards, Mike Mann

spatialpro
August 2nd, 2011, 13:36
Sometimes I turn on DX10 along with a few extra features. Usually this is off though because I use NVidia's 3D shutter glasses, and that does not work with the DX10 preview feature (along with light bloom I think).

That is a real shame, I was about to give DX10 a go with my nVidia 3D glasses :frown:

LouP
August 3rd, 2011, 19:53
I am using Win 7 (ultimate)..switching on/off DX9/DX10 at will. Everything is awesome, FPS in the 50's and 60'S. All sliders to the right!

Dick

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
CPU Cooling: Stock Intel HS&F
Motherboard: Intel DX58SO Extreme
RAM: 3 x 2GB G.Skill 1333MHz DDR3 HP Triple Channel
Graphics:BFG Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 640mhz (DX-10)
Sound: Creative SBX-Fi Audio [1000]
Monitor: Samsung 24" 2443BW LCD
Primary Hard Drive: Western Digital 150GB VelociRaptor SATA2
Secondary Hard Drive: Old Western Digital 74GB Raptor
Optical Drive: Pioneer DVD-RW 216BK SATA
Power Supply: Seasonic 700W M12
Case: Cooler Master Stacker 832 SE

The built-in screen shot grabber won't work?

LouP

LouP
August 7th, 2011, 06:51
Problems aside I have since switched DX10 back on and despite the issues, it just feels better for some reason. Maybe I'll switch it back at some point but I am doing my best to keep it on right now. Anyone know what version Flight will be using?

LouP

italoc
September 2nd, 2011, 06:41
I've finally (and defenitevely) switched to DX10 !!:applause::applause:
End of going up and down DX9-DX10-DX9 again ... and so on :salute:
Italo

Scratch
September 3rd, 2011, 09:37
I've finally (and defenitevely) switched to DX10 !!:applause::applause:
End of going up and down DX9-DX10-DX9 again ... and so on :salute:
Italo

How did you get DX10 to work finally? I am still having the same problems you posted above. After switching to DX10 I get the flash screen then it drops to the tool bar and stays there. In Taskmanager I can see FSX running slowly and dxdiag also. Any tips?

spatialpro
September 19th, 2011, 10:31

I've discovered this isn't the case on my system! Based on this post I didn't bother to even try DX10 with my nVidia 3D glasses... until today. What a fantastic result!! The 3D effect plus the DX10 shading makes for an unforgetable experience for me! My system specs are in my signature for those who are interested. When I first switched to DX10 the screen resolution was all wrong, but having corrected that it 3D workded just fine. I also find DX10 very smooth, which adds to my experience using TrackIR with 3D glasses.

Question: How can I get the optimum display settings for DX10? To start with, what DX should I be running on my OS? Should I be using nVidia Inspector for the settings, or should I use in-game? Either way, what are the best settings people know of??

Many thanks.

expat
September 20th, 2011, 00:05
Running XP with an Nvidia X275 card which I think is DX10 capable. I have never - ever - seen anything on the FSX UI menus to allow me to select DX10 or its "preview." Where does one find this exacly? Also, I don't recall actually downloading DirectX 10, so is that the issue?

Thanks

expat

Daube
September 20th, 2011, 01:14
DirectX10 is not available in Windows XP :)

kilo delta
September 20th, 2011, 05:05
DirectX10 is not available in Windows XP :)

Yep...you'll need Vista or Win 7.

expat
September 20th, 2011, 05:05
Thanks!

Henry
September 20th, 2011, 07:57
it has been awhile since i used my desktopmachine if i recall,there was a reason i quitusing dx10
H

ThePlainsman
September 21st, 2011, 19:42
DX10 preview mode only for me. Superior visuals, and the FPS gain on my PC is ENORMOUS!!! As much as 600%! The lowest gain is a doubling of my framerates in DX10 over DX9. I can turn the graphics, traffic, and density WAY UP in DX10. I fly small GA aircraft or helicopters, so I'm always 500 to 2,000 feet altitude. Ground scenery then is at premium for me. My A.I. Traffic programs, REX, GEX, ORBX and add-on planes are all DX10 compatible.

DX9 can't cut it at low altitude with the sliders all the way to the right. DX10 can. DX10 preview mode is amazingly superior.

roger-wilco-66
September 22nd, 2011, 02:36
I see that DX10 flickering on run- and taxyways only on larger airports, those that have that yellow taxyway lines.
[...]

Does anyone know what a developer can do to avoid these flickering textures? Or is this a certain configuration issue in the graphics driver, that could be avoided by setting a certain parameter (different mipmapping or AA setting)?

Cheers,
Mark

Daube
September 22nd, 2011, 03:23
Does anyone know what a developer can do to avoid these flickering textures? Or is this a certain configuration issue in the graphics driver, that could be avoided by setting a certain parameter (different mipmapping or AA setting)?

Cheers,
Mark

The link to the solution was given by Kilo Delta in another topic:

Btw..there is a "fix" for the DX10 induced runway/taxiway flickers... http://forum.avsim.net/topic/267998-dx10-runwaytaxiway-flickering-fix/

Basically, you have to edit each airport with ADE to include a small portion of a certain type of taxiway.

Meshman
September 22nd, 2011, 20:01
Basically, you have to edit each airport with ADE to include a small portion of a certain type of taxiway.

Not necessarily. But I would love it if someone who runs DX10 could grab a screenie or two or three of what the visual problem looks like. I'm on XP and don't have a 100% idea what's being discussed with the flickering, etc. And yes, I've followed the thread at Avsim.

I don't know if there is a cure for the problem yet, mainly because I haven't got fully unpacked from a move and am working through all that's involved with that. Once I can get settled down and get into some "pondering time" addressing the flicker issue will be on the list of things to ponder. :mixedsmi:

ThePlainsman
October 9th, 2011, 05:47
Not necessarily. But I would love it if someone who runs DX10 could grab a screenie or two or three of what the visual problem looks like. I'm on XP and don't have a 100% idea what's being discussed with the flickering, etc. And yes, I've followed the thread at Avsim.

I don't know if there is a cure for the problem yet, mainly because I haven't got fully unpacked from a move and am working through all that's involved with that. Once I can get settled down and get into some "pondering time" addressing the flicker issue will be on the list of things to ponder. :mixedsmi:

Hard to capture a flicker in a photo. It's literally a blinking or flashing which can be quicker than an eye blink. I've seen it occasionally, perhaps at 25% of the airport runways. It doesn't really amount to much. It's not that bad, and when it happens, I barely notice. So 75% of the airports THAT I FLY OUT OF there is no flickering. Maybe this is a problem for people who prefer to always fly out of the same airport (or two) and that one coincidentally has the flicker. But I don't have a favorite airport. I'm literally all over the world. Some runways I take off from don't even have asphalt or concrete, so definitely no flicker.

It's not a big deal unless, again, it happens at the one airport you always like to take off from and you like to sit on the runway admiring the scenery for an hour. And if it happens constantly, I suppose it could bug you a bit. Again, I see it only 1 out of 4 takeoffs (and maybe not that often), but I'm always taking off from different airports around the world. And once I take off, well...there is no flicker.