PDA

View Full Version : FS-cast boeing B17?

rayhere48
February 7th, 2010, 21:42
I have the above aircraft and don't have multiple throttle control. I was hoping some one new a way to make the B17 turn (taxi ground handle) by changing the config file info. It would be great if I could turn it like the DC3. I know this makes it less real. Just a question.

Hurricane91
February 9th, 2010, 15:52
I have the above aircraft and don't have multiple throttle control. I was hoping some one new a way to make the B17 turn (taxi ground handle) by changing the config file info. It would be great if I could turn it like the DC3. I know this makes it less real. Just a question.

Have a look here.
http://skyunlimited.net/skyboard/YaBB.pl?num=1246001192

The last post has some mods to the cfg. that seems to improve the ground handling a bit.

I was not too fond of the stock sound so I replaced the sound file with this...
http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004snds&DLID=46532

Hope this helps.

fliger747
February 9th, 2010, 22:01
I don't have thins aircraft but have done B-17 flight dynamics before. As with most taildraggers check (1) in the cfg file if there is a differential braking scalar. What this does is apply braking to one side or another proportinal to the brakes applied and the degree of rudder deflection. (2) Check to make sure that the tailwheel lock is not on when you want to turn.

Good luck! T

Hurricane91
February 10th, 2010, 16:54
I don't have thins aircraft but have done B-17 flight dynamics before. As with most taildraggers check (1) in the cfg file if there is a differential braking scalar. What this does is apply braking to one side or another proportinal to the brakes applied and the degree of rudder deflection. (2) Check to make sure that the tailwheel lock is not on when you want to turn.

Good luck! T

Thanks Fliger. Yes, the contact points for left and right wheels are set for differential. The work around posted at the Sky Unlimited Forum is to edit the aircraft cfg. as follows;

parking_brake=1 //Parking brake available
toe_brakes_scale=2.0 //Brake force orig = 0.885037
differential_braking_scale=2.0 //Differential braking for turning

This works, but the tail raises as soon as the brakes are applied and stays up even when the aircraft is stopped. I went back to the contact points and changed the tailwheel height from -3.150 to [B]-3.10;

point.7= 1.000, -34.541, 0.000, -3.10,

Now the tail returns to the ground after I let off the brakes. More test flying tomorrow.

The B-17 has always been a favorite as my father was in the 8th Air Force. So I really enjoy flying the FS-cast Fortress.