PDA

View Full Version : Completely OT!

falcon409
February 7th, 2010, 21:25
OT, but I have to vent somewhere, so ya'll are it, lol.

I am beta testing a future aircraft and just completed the first of several flights to test new gauges, system performance, etc, etc. I took a lot of screens to illustrate what I saw and experienced over the 3 hour flight.

I tweaked all the photos, added text where applicable to illustrate my findings and then sat down to compose the e-mail to send off with the zipfile of screens.

I had typed probably 4 full paragraphs, going into great detail on the gauges, their functions, the pro's and con's. Also flight characteristics experienced during the flight and how they stacked up against the actual aircraft and so on. . .very lengthy stuff.

At some point as I'm typing away and looking up at the screen, my finger hit a key. . .don't know which key, don't know which finger. . .I just remember hearing a "ding" and the e-mail was gone. . .not minimized, not saved to the draft folder, not hidden somewhere on the desktop. . .it was simply gone with one keystroke.

I'm going to bed now. . .I'll start again in the morning. . .who knows, maybe when I open Outlook it'll be sitting there waiting on me. . .wondering where i'd been all that time, lol, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.:isadizzy::sleep:

sandar
February 7th, 2010, 22:09
Yep, I have been there, done that, got the 'T' shirt. Usually when I have lost something in Outlook, it does appear again in drafts, dunno why it does, but probably 80% of 'lost' files suddenly come back, here's hoping yours reappears.

What's even more annoying is after searching for ages for the 'lost' file, you start all over again, rewrite the document, only to find the missing file by chance shortly after.

The worst moment for me happened while I was re-reading through a 40,000 word dissertation for the umpteenth time, making minor amendments before submitting it. Everything had to be perfect. It had taken me four months to write after two years research and it suddenly vanished into the ether. I had plenty of backups on several floppies (anyone remember those?), but not in a coherent final document. I could have cried, I certainly uttered a few choice Anglo Saxon expletives and came very close to thumping the missus (I could have done without her 'advice' at that precise moment). I stormed away from my PC, vowing never going to use the f***ing thing again.
A couple of hours later my wife appears with a peace offering in the form of a glass of wine, telling me she had found the errant dissertation. She had actually found the version that I had been working on before losing it. I have no idea how, why or what I did to lose the document, but it was found in a history folder.

Daube
February 8th, 2010, 00:55
Check in the "sent items" folder.

falcon409
February 8th, 2010, 03:01
Check in the "sent items" folder.
Yep, that's where it was and I only found it because before I shut the computer down I decided to make one final pass through the folders just in case. There it was. . . .I sent a quick e-mail to the developer telling him what had happened and that the actual business end of the e-mail would be resent this morning with all the images.

Crazy!!:isadizzy:

Snuffy
February 8th, 2010, 03:20
And this is exactly why I've gotten into the practice of writing emails in Word first. Or in the case of not doing them in word, much like these forums, I make it a habit to copy an entire post before hitting the submit button.

Yes I understand what you did, I'm just saying ... there are alternatives to creating high blood pressure!! LOL

Glad you found it.

Francois
February 8th, 2010, 03:42
Just don't do as one of our young secretaries - woops, 'personal assistants' - did at the time.. write everything in one CELL of a spreadsheet first...... *cough*

peter12213
February 8th, 2010, 04:05
LOL Francois!

jmig
February 8th, 2010, 04:41
Just don't do as one of our young secretaries - woops, 'personal assistants' - did at the time.. write everything in one CELL of a spreadsheet first...... *cough*

LOL You need to train them better Francois. :bump:

Speaking of weird stuff here. Has anyone else had this problem. Every so often when I open the reply screen to type a reply, it will just close on its own after one keystroke. I have to then re-hit the Reply button and then all is well?

Go figure?

Lionheart
February 8th, 2010, 05:04
Man Ed, I feel your pain. That has happened to me when doing tutorials. Arrghh.... 1500 word pages and suddenly gone... What on earth keystrokes do that????

I use Windows Notepad for copy/pasting now just in case of this. If a email or forum post is huge, I have a quick link to Notepad (I use Notepad for gauge code as well), so in the email/post, I can hit Control/A - Control/C (that copies everything in the writing window). Then Alt/TAB over to Notepad and Conrol/V to paste. Then min's later, I do it again, but in Notepad, I Control/A - Control/V, which rewrites everything in the Notepad window.

My last Apple mouse had side buttons (very sides) which in Windows, take you back a page if you accidentally squeeze them. I never figured out how to turn that option off. In several emails, I would be nearly done, and bing.. I am back to the first page... All that writing. I went out Saturday and dropped $70.00 on the new Mouse that has all these fancy features and has NO!!!!!!!!!!! side buttons. Much better now, lol...

Bill

MCDesigns
February 8th, 2010, 05:23
Or in the case of not doing them in word, much like these forums, I make it a habit to copy an entire post before hitting the submit button..

Same here, there are just to many variables in computing that can sabotage your workflow.

I went out Saturday and dropped $70.00 on the new Mouse that has all these fancy features and has NO!!!!!!!!!!! side buttons. Much better now, lol...

Bill

Man, I couldn't live without my side buttons, but then again I use an optical trackball which allows my thumb to scroll

Cazzie
February 8th, 2010, 05:35
OT, but I have to vent somewhere, so ya'll are it, lol.

I am beta testing a future aircraft and just completed the first of several flights to test new gauges, system performance, etc, etc. I took a lot of screens to illustrate what I saw and experienced over the 3 hour flight.

I tweaked all the photos, added text where applicable to illustrate my findings and then sat down to compose the e-mail to send off with the zipfile of screens.

I had typed probably 4 full paragraphs, going into great detail on the gauges, their functions, the pro's and con's. Also flight characteristics experienced during the flight and how they stacked up against the actual aircraft and so on. . .very lengthy stuff.

At some point as I'm typing away and looking up at the screen, my finger hit a key. . .don't know which key, don't know which finger. . .I just remember hearing a "ding" and the e-mail was gone. . .not minimized, not saved to the draft folder, not hidden somewhere on the desktop. . .it was simply gone with one keystroke.

I'm going to bed now. . .I'll start again in the morning. . .who knows, maybe when I open Outlook it'll be sitting there waiting on me. . .wondering where i'd been all that time, lol, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.:isadizzy::sleep:

falcon, I don't do reviews of any kind any more, but there was a time that I was perhaps the most prolific scale model reviewer on the web. I did everything in MS Word first. And the good thing about Word is that if one has a power failure or strikes the wrong key or even does a major snafu and clicked no when asked to save a file (I have done that, I was a blond at one time), Word kept a string document and all I had to do was open that and I had where I left off. It was a program made for dummies like me. I am also prone to lock myself out of my car. So now I have a Honda Fit and it will not allow me to do that. I have to see to my needs, because I am often a total dunce! :isadizzy:

Caz

MudMarine
February 8th, 2010, 06:02
Been there, done that! Back up and back up often is my sanity saver!

Lionheart
February 8th, 2010, 06:13
My goodness Marine! Where have yah been??

CodyValkyrie
February 8th, 2010, 08:28
We had a secretary on our base that accidentally sent a very dirty love letter to everyone on the base.... The letter was followed 20 minutes later with a recall, that deleted the original letter. The damage however had already been done. Don't know what happened to her. Probably wasn't good.

I myself have even sent reports to the wrong clients. Never a good thing.

I double check all my work now....

wantok
February 8th, 2010, 08:43
That's one of the very reason why I switched from outlook to gmail. gmail will save your work automatically every 30 seconds or so as draft. You can write for as long as you like or accidently hit a key or have power outage and your work will still be there saved automatically. Besides, gmail has more storage capacity than outlook.

Give it a try and it's free.

ShawnG
February 8th, 2010, 09:38
gmail has more storage capacity than my entire 3TB hard drive array?

wantok
February 8th, 2010, 09:48
Gmail has just over 7000mb, but wow! you have some serious hd space. I only have 500gigs for fs and scenery development (...sigh... double sigh...:kilroy:)

Bjoern
February 9th, 2010, 12:31
I know that too well. Lose focus of the messagebox in forums and accidentially hit the keystroke for "page back" and - if it's a badly setup board software - your text will be gone once you try to recover it with "page forward". Makes me rage every single time.

Aso for the "wrong reciepient" thing: I double, triple and quadruple check stuff when doing onlinebanking or writing e-mails. Better safe than sorry.

ShawnG
February 10th, 2010, 11:38
Gmail has just over 7000mb, but wow! you have some serious hd space. I only have 500gigs for fs and scenery development (...sigh... double sigh...:kilroy:)

I have many hobbies! I have a 500 gb system disk, FS sits on its own 320 GB disk, my racing sims and other assorted games sit on another 320 Gb. I have a music recording studio set up and I have a 1TB hard drive set up for my music files ( I have over 500 Gb of musical instrument loops and samples) I have another 1TB drive setup for backup and media files (pictures movies music etc...) It's probably overkill except for the music drive, which is abosolutely necessary if you do music recording (it doesn't go well if you attempt to stream 50 separate audio tracks from the same drive that your OS is based on) I could probably do with much less, but it's nice to have the extra space.