PDA

View Full Version : Sad loss in my home!!!

grunau_baby
February 7th, 2010, 04:47
Yesterday morning big Berta passed away!

She died rather suddenly and unfortunately very painfully in front of a closed emergency door on the parking lot of the vetīs. Still unbelievable: most probably a f... Thrombosis caused by a badly adjusted bandage which she had to wear for a minor wound at her paw in recent weeks.

We are completely traumatized, and itīs sad beyond relief to see the sad face of the remaining sister cat. Even the otherwise rather selfish dog realized the gravity of the situation. We tried everything, but didnīt stand a chance to help her, cause we werenīt able to understand what was wrong...

What hits hardest is the cruelty of her death, the poor animal didnīt deserve that... And now thereīs something missing here... Whatīs left is pain and sorrow! We are trying to make the cat-sister cope with it as best as we can.

regards
Alex

harleyman
February 7th, 2010, 04:52
Aww That is so sad to hear.....I am so sorry to hear about your poor kitty...

What a horriable thing to have to witness..

All you can do is know that she is at peace now and was loved and will be missed....

Its so sad though an will be hard to adjust..I love animals and understand just how you feel...

aeromed202
February 7th, 2010, 04:57
Sorry to hear the news. It hits close to home too.

mike_cyul
February 7th, 2010, 05:17
Sorry to hear that, too. I know how tough that can be. Condolences.

Mike

Toastmaker
February 7th, 2010, 05:18
Very sorry GB - That's a lot of hurt you've got. Try to remember what a good life she had with you.

Mick
February 7th, 2010, 05:30
Dear Alex,

I'm very sorry to learn of your loss, and especially under such tragic circumstances.

Your love for Berta shines through your words. That love lives on in your heart, a bit of Berta that will never leave you. I hope it won't be too long before that love begins to temper your grief with joyful memories of your years together.

You and your family have my deepest sympathy.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

TomSteber
February 7th, 2010, 05:39
So sorry to hear your sad news. We've been dealing with kitty problems here too. Lot's of vet visits. It amazes me how much we love them.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Best thing you can do now is give all the extra love to your remaining animals. After a little while, go rescue another one from the shelter. That's what we did after our loss a few years ago. Never regretted it. It helps both you and the animal.

Mick
February 7th, 2010, 06:08
...After a little while, go rescue another one from the shelter. That's what we did after our loss a few years ago. Never regretted it. It helps both you and the animal.

Absolutely! We can never "replace" the ones we lose, but the new ones make their own places in our hearts.

Alex, I'll bet you know this already.

My Rusty was gone barely a week when his doctor called me about an injured stray she'd taken in and fixed up. Scamper soothed my broken heart and brought me great joy. I still grieved terribly for Rusty (and I think I always will) but Scamper made it easier to bear. Then along came Rowdy (the "baby tomcat" in my banner, though he's no longer a baby) and he brought joyous chaos to Scamper's and my lives.

Daveroo
February 7th, 2010, 06:36
Miss Haley and i pass on our condolances(even though she just bit me as im typing)its a shame that the emergincy door was closed...id complain..

OBIO
February 7th, 2010, 06:46
Alex

I am deeply saddened to hear of your sudden and heart-wrenching loss. Losing a much loved pet is never easy, but losing one suddenly and without a clear reason is even worse.

I know that feeling well....Spud, the pooch in my avatar, was a happy, loving, and healthy 17-month old wonder dog. He had just been to the vet 4 months before and given a clean bill of health...the vet said he was one of healthiest dogs he had seen in a long time. Then on January 14, 2007, at approximately 10pm...Spud went into seizures. First one, then another, and another and another...they came quicker, harder and lasted longer each time. It took 4 hours to get a hold of the vet for an emergency visit. By the time I made that 20 drive across the county, Spud was having so many seizures so close together that he was basically in a continuous seizure state. Those cluster seizures took too much from him....he died before the vet could find out the cause of them.

I also recommend finding a new kitty to bring into your home as quickly as you can do so...give yourself some time to grieve for Berta...but not too long. A new kitty will never replace Berta, but it will help to fill that hole in your heart and in your home....the sister-cat and the selfish dog will also be feeling the loss of Berta, and a new house mate will help them recover as well.

For me, the hole in my heart was filled 13 months after Spud's loss by a 1.1 pound female Chihuahua that I named Hazel. I, as a general rule, do not like Chihuahuas....in fact I despise them. I would never be cruel toward one, but I would never have one as a pet/companion. In spite of her being a Chihuahua, Hazel is my Baby Gurl....love that little dog as much as I loved Spud....it helps that she is so much like him, just 1/6th his size. Having her in my life has helped diminish the pain from Spud's loss...I guess Deb knew what she was doing when she brought Hazel home to me.

Tim

Little Chacha
February 7th, 2010, 07:01
Mr. Alex,

Sorry to hear about Bertha leaving you and going to rainbow bridge. She will be happy there without sickness. my Mom's dog Wally is there too. bye.

HouseHobbit
February 7th, 2010, 07:13
I am truly sorry to hear of your Loss..I too understand the loss of a dearly Loved Pet..
As Has been said remember the wonderful bond you shared and Know that Our Lord loves You.
May Your pain be healed...And May you find Peace..

Ferry_vO
February 7th, 2010, 07:22
Sorry to hear about your loss, Alex.
Lost plenty of pets in the past, and sadly not all to old age. It never gets any easier, but it helps to remember the good times.

wildcat
February 7th, 2010, 08:31
Alex, my Condolences.
Mick

Lionheart
February 7th, 2010, 09:07
Im sorry to hear about this Alex. My condolences to you and your familly.

They are like our kids.

I remember when I lost Katja. Man... That devistated me. I was a wreck for weeks. She was like a child to me.

We just lost one of our Charpeis, little Cheng Lee. She had been pretty ill and it finally came to the end. We were all around her, petting her when she went. It was very sad. Her pain was gone...

That rainbow bridge is an awesome website. My mother went there when coping with the loss of two of our dogs. It helped her get through it. She would read other peoples incidences and it helped her to cope with it.

You just want to turn back time and make things right...

May you two endure this horrible time and may the good times with your friend/family member always be remembered.

Bill

grunau_baby
February 7th, 2010, 09:27
Thanks for the kind words!

It hurts a lot, especially at home. When our only cat at that time died a long time ago we just passed a lot off time out, but now this would mean to leave the left over sister alone at home. The two cats have been together all of their life, however havenīt been all to close to each other. We cannot replace the loss of course, but we are thinking about another new companion for the lonely cat, since we both work we donīt think it appropriate to leave the poor animal alone all day. But we will have to see if our cat really wants this and how she copes with a stranger in her territory. Time will tell, but there are plans... It may also sooth the hurt a bit!

Alex

Chacha
February 7th, 2010, 09:31
Sorry to hear about Bertha's passing away. :engel016:

Surely, you will miss Bertha. And I hope you get another kitten for the lonely cat!

Bjoern
February 7th, 2010, 11:08
A fine feline warrior has left the earthly premises to go hunt mice somewhere better. Meow! :salute:

GT182
February 7th, 2010, 13:26
Sorry to hear of your loss ALex, my condolences. It's heartbreaking to lose a pet, especially one that's loved so much.

CADFather
February 7th, 2010, 13:40
Sorry to hear of Bertha's passing and I know that my meager words won't offer any comfort toward that loss, but know this, "We (this e-family), do care and offer our condolences in your time of pain."

CAD

Mick
February 7th, 2010, 18:33
Here are a couple suggestions about getting a new kitty. A youngster, not a kitten but perhaps a half grown adolescent, would look up to the older resident cat and that might help them get along better.

Another possibility would be to get two kittens, preferably litter mates. Two because one would drive the older cat crazy with its constant need for play. Two would play together and the older cat could join in if and when she wants to, and not be pestered o distraction when she wants some peace.

Another mature adult might work out. If you adopt from a rescue group that fosters cats in members' homes, they could help you select one that isn't at all alpha, so (s)he wouldn't challenge the established one for "top cat" status in the family.

Sometimes cats will avoid status issues if they're of different genders, but that's not always the case, and sometimes two of the same gender get along just fine.

I know that the cat(s) you adopt will be very well cared for and deeply loved. What a lucky kitty (or kitties) they will be!

Navy Chief
February 8th, 2010, 19:08
Alex, sorry to hear about Big Berta. I was out of town, or believe me I would have replied sooner. If you've been on the forum long enough, you know how close I am to all of my cats, AND my dog Chief. Take comfort in remembering all the joy she brought you. I love my animals so very much. They are a gift from God.

NC

grunau_baby
February 9th, 2010, 06:37
Thanks for the kind words and the advice (especially Mick).

The pain eases little by little by little... We have been thinking a lot of course and our conclusion is,
a) we - we do this for any pet-companion who lived with us - create an album. Look for every photograph, drawing, document and assembling a big picture-book. We can get it out when we feel to and remember our lost ones.
b) observing our other cat we are not (maybe just yet) going to get a new companion. The two cats have been very seperated in recent years and the left (strong alpha-behaviour) cat seems to cope allright with the extra amount of love and attention she gets now. Just as we ourselves she seems a bit sad at some moments, but we will get through this. The wish to get a another cat seemed more a selfish urge to ease our own pain fast than to look what the cat wants. But time will tell...

Thanks!
Alex

SdC Redux
February 9th, 2010, 07:11
First: Alex, gecondoleerd met je verlies!

..... The wish to get a another cat seemed more a selfish urge to ease our own pain fast than to look what the cat wants. But time will tell...

Thanks!
Alex

Please turn that thought around: there are many many many stray cats in shelters that really need a family to live with. When spring comes, the shelters will be flooded with new litters of kittens..... You now have space available to rescue ONE, that is sitting alone in a cage AT THIS MOMENT!

grunau_baby
February 9th, 2010, 07:40
Donīt get me wrong, please. I am the kind of person who goes into the shelters and can hardly get out off there without stuffing as many creatures under my arms as I could cary.

Both the dog and my cats are always safed from the shelters, but at the moment I have to think about my left cat first and the fact we (both wife and I) have little time next to our jobs. Giving a new animal a new home is a complicated matter for all involved and it needs time. Besides, my cat is very very dominant and it would for sure completely break my (and the Mrs.ī) heart to have to put the just rescued cat back to the shelter if it would not work out! And this is at the moment and concerning our catīs behaviour the most probable outcome.

Believe me, I will always get as many poor creatures out off these places as my finance, time and living space will allow me, but it has to be for the good of ALL involved. Moreover we feel we have to get over Berthaīs death first, before deciding this. Especially my wife emotionally inclines towards comparing too much with her loss, that would not do any new housemate justice. We need some time to heal first, witnessing this was way too severe...

Alex

HouseHobbit
February 9th, 2010, 08:24
Please Do what is Best for you..
I do realize the Pain of lossing a beloved pet..My Cat Katastrophe is 12 years old..There is a Day coming where she too will Pass away..
I dread to think of this..And I have Lost beloved pets..
Healing will take place..
Allow yourselfs to recover..
Then do what you think is best for you..
May God Bless you during these trying times..