PDA

View Full Version : Why ME??????

winslow33
November 4th, 2008, 17:12
Hello:wavey:

I keep having hard drive failures over and over, LOL. Thats like, the second one in a month! But this time it's because I just reformated the old one from last time, so I was prepared this time... Tomorow I'm going to go to Future Shop and buy a new HD so I can put an end to this for good....

Allow me to explain: I went to boot up XP earlier, but I was told by my computer that it could detect no OS!!:isadizzy::isadizzy: Off comes the back of the computer, I check all the cables on the HD, there good, I check the boot sequence to make sure it's trying to look in the Hard Drive, everythings in order there. I pull out the DOS bootup disk and pop it in, that worked. All the data was still there in Drive C, so I managed to back up anything good, that includes my 67th Special Ops. stuff. So I didn't lose anything, it just got renamed so I'll have to spend the weekend looking to see whats what...:banghead: At least it could be worse. I still have my Windows 98 computer to continue working on my projects and tests:isadizzy::isadizzy:.

Skyferret
November 5th, 2008, 14:10
All the cables are good. Or are they. They're all snug and plugged, however, one little and somewhat hair thin and fragile strand on the IDE cable good be open shorting. You mentioned "no OS found yet you still have access through DOS to your files." So in this case, it sounds like the cables are okay. Or are they. Before you declare your HD old and worn out, try replacing the cable with a new one. You just never know with these things.

Here's what happened with mine. My HD was only a year old. The blue screen of death comes up. I rebbot only to find "Disk Boot Failure." I look in the BIOS and it shows my HD doesn't exist. I reseat all the hard ware. Still nothing. I pull out a spare IDE cable and wudayuknow, it's working.

Your HD might be somewhat old, but perhaps there's a few miles left on it.

The way I see it, is that the coarse of action that seems uneccessary through the series of events just might be the correct action to take.

Hope this helps.
Sky.

winslow33
November 5th, 2008, 14:40
Thanks.. I'll try using the cables from my 98 machine. They are the only spares I have but they'll do.:isadizzy:

Johnny
November 5th, 2008, 19:44
~S~ Sky,

I was glad to see you at the 45th. I was sorry I told everyone it started at 7:00 pm when it starts at 7:00 pm Tuesdays and Thursdays. I was sorry that you missed out on the dog fights, because you had problems. I was glad the you got everything fixed in time for the bomb run. I was not to happy that you shot my bomber out of the sky. It was great flying with you, hope to see more of you. Maybe in my gun sights.:costumes:

Johnny:wavey:

PS Don't forget Sunday at noon Eastern Time Zone for the AAC Mission. Come early and leave late. We are using the ACP Team Speak, so you may want to sign in with them. No charge and you do not have to join, they just want to keep track of the silverware. They have just about given up on CFS, but have everything else going. http://www.acecarrierpilots.com/

Skyferret
November 6th, 2008, 01:46
~S~ Johnny.

Yes it was good to be back. I would like to join the gang on Sundays, but I'm afraid at that hour I'm deep in my Ferret borough in darkness (zzzzzzzzzz). Saturday nights can be a long night either in the taxi or shuttle bus.

You might recall the problem I had Tuesday evening. Only Erred and I could see each other. No one else could see me and I wasn't able to see anyone else. The CFS cfg file needed send and receive set to =1 but it didn't work. My Mp_Cache was always empty. Mike had to send me his to paste into it. That's why we were a bit late getting going.

I ditched the router for now. After that, I installed CFS3. I then joined a game later that night with some guys from the CFS3 forum. I was able to see a swarm of planes no problem and they could see me. The next time we fly, maybe it will work okay. If not, then perhaps a reinstall. So there's a good chance my router wasn't sending or receiving packets correctly. I think "packets" is the right term. I'm not to familiar with all those terms. The only one I recall is "Adobedohdoh Zippadeedobedoodah.AIR.

~S~ Winslow.

I hope it's just a simple thing like a bad cable. If you had to buy some new ones, that's a little cheaper than a new HD. I know you're in school right now and I assume funds are kinda limited. Not only that, but you appear to have a lot projects on the go and the last thing you need is your machine being down. What amazes me is your interest in a game that's ten years old. Most people your age are more interested in the latest software. I'm assuming it's how tweakable or the tweakablityness of CFS1 is. Myself, I'm no software engineer, and even I did some tweaking.

Not to sure if tweakablityness is a real word but good luck with your compy.

Sky.

hey_moe
November 6th, 2008, 02:00
Sorry to here ya having them kind of problems. You can go here and download a HD test and it will tell ya if it is your HD or cable >> http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm Last year I replaced some of my cables with some High Tech cables.....3 of the cables in a packet of four were bad....drove me nuts...it musta been a bad packet...lol.

grumpos
November 6th, 2008, 02:13
I had the same problem a year or so ago. It turned out that my power supply was not up to the job.

Best wishes
Steve P

winslow33
November 6th, 2008, 13:50
Thanks for that guys. I'll do some more tests before buying a new HD.

And as far as CFS goes, It's one game that came on my old '98 machine when I inherited it when my folks stopped using it... I probably wouldn't have bought it, but I decided to install it just for laughs and got addicted. :redf: And it's easier to tweak than most newer games.:d Plus, when my parents bought me my new laptop it was under the condition that I wouldn't do any heavy duty gaming on it, so theres no point in buying new games (although I did sneak on CFS). And my other computers are old and too slow to run CFS3.:isadizzy: