PDA

View Full Version : Seek texture mapping help

Mick
February 6th, 2010, 12:26
I'm cross posting a link to a thread my modeling partner David posted in the FS9 forum, because even though we're working in FS9, it occurs to me that most of the modelers have moved to FSX.

Here's the link.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=31247

We've figured out a workaround, but we'd like to find a real solution. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

canada_flyer0
February 6th, 2010, 14:59
Hi. Been a long time since made textures for scenery but your problem might be the fact that when the texture is applied, because of the curved area, there are portions of the texture taken from farther out on the texture macro then you have allowed for. Try making your background color the same color as what you want on the model. You should be able to check the results right away after you apply the new texture. My airplane texture macros did not represent the shape of the airplane.

Hope this helps.

jdhaenens
February 6th, 2010, 18:05
Mick,

You can give this a try: When you make the texture, don't MIP map it. Let the single image stand on it's own. Some textures are more susceptible to bleeding for some reason. I've found that red is the worst. Don't know why, but I also spent a week on one texture until I stumbled upon that.

Jim

Mick
February 7th, 2010, 06:21
Mick,

You can give this a try: When you make the texture, don't MIP map it. Let the single image stand on it's own. Some textures are more susceptible to bleeding for some reason. I've found that red is the worst. Don't know why, but I also spent a week on one texture until I stumbled upon that.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

Yep, it was the mips.

Below is what I just posted in the FS9 forum, where Ack Ack also suggested that it might be the mips. As I stated there, I ALWAYS save without mips, but somehow they snuck into this project's textures, and I didn't recognize what was going on when I saw it.

BTW, the red surround was put there specifically because it showed up the worst, for purposes of illustration. Had we not found the problem, I was going to just make the surrounding color the same as the aircraft color for each paint.

Here's what I posted in the FS9 forum:

AAUUGGGHHHH!!!!!

The problem was in the textures! It was the mipmaps!

I'm the texture guy in this partnership, and it was my fault completely.

I ALWAYS save my texture files without mips, right from the start, when I convert David's 256-color templates to 32-bit textures. And the "save with mipmaps" block remains UNchecked in my DXTbmp. Yet somehow the textures had mips.

I don't know how it happened, but I feel really dumb that it never occured to me to double-check the mips before jumping to the conclusion that there must be something wrong with the model. I should've recognized what was happening on sight.

THANK YOU to all who responded in this thread, and especially to Ack Ack for inspiring me to check for mips.