PDA

View Full Version : A question for the Pro's

flewpastu
February 6th, 2010, 11:49
Is there a thread or tutorial in how to convert dds files to HD files, example 1024x1024 to 2048x2048.

Thanks

Bill

djscoo
February 6th, 2010, 11:56
Are you talking about increasing the resolution or converting to a different filetype?

flewpastu
February 6th, 2010, 11:57
Sorry, increasing resolution,.

Bill

IanP
February 6th, 2010, 12:00
Convert to bmp, use a paint package to resize, then convert back to DDS? ;)

stiz
February 6th, 2010, 12:05
there really isnt any point converting allready painted 1024x1024 textures to 2048x2048, the textures would look exactly the same and might even look worse in the sim. :)

flewpastu
February 6th, 2010, 12:08
IanP, what sort of paint package, photoshop or somthing else

Bill

djscoo
February 6th, 2010, 12:09
If you wanting to increase the resolution of a paintkit, you can do so with Photoshop or the equivalent. I'm still not sure I totally understand what you want to do.

Increasing the resolution of an existing texture will not modify what is in the file, only make it bigger. Here is an example of what you would see:

Here is a small picture of a car (87x65 pixels):
Here is the same photo blown up to 348x260 pixels:

When you resize a texture, converting to a smaller resolution will decrease the filesize and clarity (good for speeding up load times). Coverting a smaller texture to a larger one will increase the filesize without increasing clarity at all.

flewpastu
February 6th, 2010, 12:14
Thanks for the info, much appreciated, that answered what I was thinking.

Bill

jankees
February 6th, 2010, 12:21
However....

sometimes it helps to enlarge parts of the textures.
For instance, I enlarged the textures of the A2A P-51 (and that other one that I won't mention 'cause it don't work) to 2048 in the paintkit so I could make readable stencils. The rest of the textures remain the same, except for what I put in...that looks better

But that is only useful if you change part (or all) of the textures to make use of the difference.
Am I still making sense here?

IanP
February 6th, 2010, 12:30
You could do it using Paintshop Pro, Photoshop, Office Picture Editor... Probably in Windows Paint if you want to, but as others have said, there's no point unless you are planning on repainting them at that higher resolution.

I know one person who insists on using 4096x4096 textures, but then he thinks that 5-6FPS is perfectly acceptable to fly at so I really wouldn't recommend it!

flewpastu
February 6th, 2010, 12:46
I understand, I guess what I was looking for was a HD texture. The fellow over at ozx keeps making these great HD textures for the dodo sim and the default 206 and they look great, I was wondering if that would be possible for the cera 212 etc.

Bill

GypsyBaron
February 6th, 2010, 13:16
The utility texconv.exe should do,it.

I use it to convert groups of JPG files using a simple batch file.

It should work just as well with DDS files. Just place the ones you want
to convert into a temp folder along with the texconv.exe
file and the BAT file. Click the BAT file and it's done.

Here is the content of the batch file:
------------------------------------
@echo off
cls

texconv -w 2048 -h 2048 -m 1 -ft DTX5 *.DDS

---------------------------------------

Hold the cursor over the original DDS file to see what
the format is (DTX1, DTX2,DTX3, etc) and substitute that
in the batch file if not DTX5.

The "-m 1" indicates 1 mip level

Use Google to find the texconv.exe file. Run it by itself
with no input parameters to get a list of the options.

Paul

flewpastu
February 6th, 2010, 13:20
Thank you, will try it out

Bill