PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions on the Section F8 F-86

ColoKent
February 6th, 2010, 09:14
I've finally ported it over to FSX, loaded the FSX "patch" that the Section F8 team put together (until native F-86 is released), and I notice that where the A2A P-51 hums along at 35 or 40 FPS, the F-86 seems to bring my system to it's knees with FPS between 15-21.

My question is this: Could it be the photo realistic textures that are causing this?

Thanks,

Kent

Bjoern
February 6th, 2010, 09:24
I don't fly the F-86, but I think the smoke effect took a heavy toll on the FPS.

I'm not sure if my upgrade removed those effects or not.

In case of doubt, it's always the fact that it is a portover which causes the performance loss.

ColoKent
February 6th, 2010, 10:43
....man, I love that airplane-- I love the "heavy" feel to it...It feels like...well like....a nicely weighted saber (sabre!) in my hand!!!!

Hopefully the FPS hits will lessen with the native FSX version....

Kent

stansdds
February 6th, 2010, 10:59
Sometimes a port over simply has poor fps in FSX, probably due to the level of details in the textures. The Section8 F-86 is highly detailed.

ColoKent
February 6th, 2010, 11:19
.....genius. I "//'d" out all of the smoke related stuff in the Aircraft.cfg file, and it boosted me 10-13 FPS in most cases. Not ideal, but it beats trying to enjoy a quasi-slide show.

Thanks!

Kent

jankees
February 6th, 2010, 12:23
getting rid of the smoke helped me a lot as well

still a great model btw, any news on a fsx version?

ColoKent
February 6th, 2010, 13:44
...Not as near as I could see (and I went looking on their forum). They do say however that the D/K/L will probably only be done in FSX....which is okay with me, since I'm in FSX 95% of the time.

What I'd like from the Section F8 folks is a T-33 companion to the F-86. If we had a T-33, we'd have the early 50s (and really up until 1960 in the ANG) covered with HIGH quality aircraft.

I love the heavy feel of the Section F8 F-86, it's stable, fast, but has a nice stout feel to it.

Kent

calypsos
February 6th, 2010, 13:47
A2A P-51 hums along at 35 or 40 FPS

Was that model not updated to native FSX, or did I get it wrong?

ColoKent
February 6th, 2010, 14:04
...updated native FSX-- and the WOP III version will be rebuilt from the ground up yet again for FSX-- with accu-sim. (The big thing I want in the P-51 is an F-51 variant that has a pilot with the late 50's visored helmet-- the better to do ANG paint schemes!).

I've suggested it to Scott...we'll see what happens.

Kent

Bomber_12th
February 6th, 2010, 14:32
Kent, I, like you, am interested in the Korean era, and ANG Mustangs (I have a number of large Minnesota ANG Mustang photos, framed-up around my room), and the only thing I have to say, is keep your eyes open to the possibility of experiencing an extremely accurate F-51 in the not so distant future, though it won't have accusim attached. This is just one area in the Mustang heritage, that has yet to be covered in Microsoft Flight Simulator, and the 50's era Mustangs were quite a bit different in appearance to when in use during WWII, when you dig into the details.

The old A2A Mustang was built several computer generations ago, so in today's world it is very frame-rate friendly (that, and A2A have always had good quality, and low performance intensive aircraft). The Section F8 Sabre, also has many more gages and textures, which are sometimes the biggest frame-rate killers out there.

Bjoern
February 7th, 2010, 10:24
.....genius. I "//'d" out all of the smoke related stuff in the Aircraft.cfg file, and it boosted me 10-13 FPS in most cases. Not ideal, but it beats trying to enjoy a quasi-slide show.

Thanks!

Ha! Didn't comment it out indeed.

You're welcome.

What I'd like from the Section F8 folks is a T-33 companion to the F-86. If we had a T-33, we'd have the early 50s (and really up until 1960 in the ANG) covered with HIGH quality aircraft.

I think the covering the whole F-86 line is first.

Personally, I can't wait for the Dog and Kilo.

ColoKent
February 7th, 2010, 19:00
....since I, like you, am waiting for the D/K/L with GREAT anticipation-- though it seems to be destined to be years in the future (because of the grwat amount of work that team puts into their projects-- with OUTSTANDING results, I might add!).

Kent

deimos256
February 7th, 2010, 19:14
Hey where can i get the plane and its fsx patch, I reinstalled FSX and lost a lot of gems that i am slowly grabbing up again

ColoKent
February 7th, 2010, 20:00
http://www.sectionf8.com/index.html

deimos256
February 8th, 2010, 02:06
Outstanding, one issue, i cant get the speedbrakes out using the keyboard, only by activating the lever in the VC. Anyone else experience this?

Hanimichal
February 8th, 2010, 07:32
Outstanding, one issue, i cant get the speedbrakes out using the keyboard, only by activating the lever in the VC. Anyone else experience this?

I use keyboard and work fine, only drop tank in VC. and have good FPS

My Video:

http://www.youtube.com/v/8S667Pa8GkQ&hl=pt_BR&fs=1&

deimos256
February 8th, 2010, 08:27
I never used to have a problem with the previous installation, i wonder if Windows 7 has anything to do with it? Hard to believe since spoilers work on every other plane

Bjoern
February 9th, 2010, 12:25
....since I, like you, am waiting for the D/K/L with GREAT anticipation-- though it seems to be destined to be years in the future (because of the grwat amount of work that team puts into their projects-- with OUTSTANDING results, I might add!).

Just stay cool and pass the time with something else. There's a lot of toys around for FSX. :mixedsmi: