PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft factory F4U-1D CORSAIR walkaround

Cleartheprop
February 6th, 2010, 01:46
Hello Everyone;
Here is a video of the AF Corsair.
This is an aircraft general overview (engine & cooling flaps specs, cockpit familiarization, F4U-1D fuel system presentation.) :ernae:
i9iYGagZSNc

dswo
February 6th, 2010, 04:31
I like the airflow animation.
Every video you make, I learn something new. For example, I've had the Corsair for several months, but I couldn't make the airbrake deploy. Now I know why... Likewise on the Fw 190A: I've flown those models for hours and hours, but I never noticed the degree markings on the tail.

stansdds
February 6th, 2010, 05:22
Nice video. It still confounds me as to why the recognition lights were placed in the belly of this Corsair, real Corsairs had them under the starboard outer wing panel. I'd still like to see A2A Simulations take up a Corsair project and give it the AccuSim package.

Cleartheprop
February 6th, 2010, 06:39
Thank You David!
I learn many things each time I read an airplane manual. The Aircraft Factory Corsair manual is very poor regarding the add-on. I use actual manuals in order to compare the simulated aircraft with the real thing.
Stan, it seems A2A works on accusimmed version of the P-40 and the P-51 but I haven't heard anything about a possible accusimmed F4U. Too bad because this airplane deserves such a treatment!

JamesChams
February 6th, 2010, 07:54
... Too bad because this airplane deserves such a treatment!I completely agree with you and Mr. David "Dswo" ... The only question I have is regarding the RADIO's (which are NOT simulated in your model) so, how does one use its radios in FSX (Only ATC Window?) ???

Great model and excellent videos; I'll get it; but, I'll be extremely happy if A2A Accusim's it. :salute:

BTW: Mr. JanKees, your repaints are outstanding, glad you found a developer who appreciates your work as I do. :applause:

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Spiritual_Journey.html)

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

Cleartheprop
February 6th, 2010, 08:46
Thanks James!
Radio are working in the AF Corsair but through modern radios control boxes. (Shift+F2 triggers the radio window)
http://www.miragecockpit.com/images/corsair%20radios.jpg

jankees
February 7th, 2010, 08:29
It's always fun to see your repaint being used, nice video!

Peritas
February 7th, 2010, 11:41
Hi, MirageIII2009, your aircraft's videos are an outstandig sistem to learn about our aircraft!
It is possible to download them for a "student" usage? I'd like to watch them without the Internet connession... and "repetita juvat"!!!
Thanks again!

Best regards,
Luca

Cleartheprop
February 9th, 2010, 13:00
Hi, MirageIII2009, your aircraft's videos are an outstandig sistem to learn about our aircraft!
It is possible to download them for a "student" usage? I'd like to watch them without the Internet connession... and "repetita juvat"!!!
Thanks again!

Best regards,
Luca

Thanks Jankees, Your repaints are my favorite! :applause:

Luca,
Yes you can! (download youtube videos). I use Youtube video downloader HERE IS A FRENCH LINK (http://www.clubic.com/telecharger-fiche24719-youtube-video-downloader.html)
It is free and easy to use; I guess there are many of these freewares around.
thanks for your nice comments! :ernae:
Ciao!

Peritas
February 9th, 2010, 23:38
Thanks Jankees, Your repaints are my favorite! :applause:

Luca,
Yes you can! (download youtube videos). I use Youtube video downloader HERE IS A FRENCH LINK (http://www.clubic.com/telecharger-fiche24719-youtube-video-downloader.html)
It is free and easy to use; I guess there are many of these freewares around.
thanks for your nice comments! :ernae:
Ciao!

Just downloaded! Tanks again!
Ciao!

skulleader
February 10th, 2010, 03:58
Hello,

Great video MirageIII, after I have looked at your video this morning I bought this addon.

A great thank's for your work.

Bye, Olivier.

Cleartheprop
February 10th, 2010, 10:40
Merci Olivier ! :ernae:
I hope you will enjoy this add-on as much as I do !

Henry
February 10th, 2010, 10:59
I didnt look at it because i have it:isadizzy:
that was stupid of me
thank you sir
excellent
H

Cleartheprop
February 10th, 2010, 13:40
Thank you Henry;
I am glad to read that even if you already know the aircraft, you'll still be interested in my video ! That's nice :ernae:
I put all my videos together on my personal webpage (http://www.cleartheprop.com/)
Thank you for your support everyone !

SADT
April 19th, 2011, 02:35
Hi Mirage,

Sorry for reviving an almost 2 year old thread. Bad me.
But that video of yours is missing, and I would really like to watch it, as I have just purchased that Corsair. If you don't want to post it again, could you perhaps give me a D/L link, so I can permanently keep it?

Also, how does one activate the dive brakes? For some reason I cannot use them (I simply do not know how)

BTW - I simply love your videos! :salute:

Craig :-)

Phantom88
April 19th, 2011, 03:03
I believe the real F4U didn't have dive brakes,I have heard WWII Naval Aviators would put the gear down in order to bleed airspeed rapidly as the gear creates a ton of drag.

I'd add my vote to a A2A Accusim F4U.That would be incredible IMHO.:salute:

Helldiver
April 19th, 2011, 03:50
No video. It says it has been removed by owner. That radio isn't real. It shoud be a SCR - 522 . That thing looks like a modern radio. It doesn't go in a F4U-1D.

Helldiver
April 19th, 2011, 04:00
I doubt very much that a Naval pilot would drop his gear over 150 MPH to slow his plane down. That is, if he planned to use it to land with.
The Marines may do it though. They don't give a damn.

roger-wilco-66
April 19th, 2011, 04:46
Regarding dive bombing / undercarriage, out of a british manual:

(i)

On early aircraft the undercarriage control is a spring-loaded knob situated below the left-hand side of the instrument panel. To raise the undercarriage, pull out the knob, release the safety catch, and move to UP. To lower the u/c, pull out the knob, and move to DOWN when the safety catch will be automatically engaged. After setting the control to UP or DOWN ensure that the pin on the knob engages with the hole in the quadrant. The main wheels are used as dive brakes and may be lowered or raise independantly of the tailwheel by the control on the left of the u/c indicator.
NB. on later aircraft the dive brake control is combined with the u/c control.

§ 44 Flying Limitations
(iii) Dive Bombing

Maximum speed (u/c up)... ... ... ... 375 Knots IAS
Maximum speed for lowering u/c (dive brakes)... 250 KIAS
Maximum speed u/c down ... ... ... ... ... 350 KIAS

kilo delta
April 19th, 2011, 06:24

I genuinely LOL'd :icon_lol:

Phantom88
April 19th, 2011, 11:47
I doubt very much that a Naval pilot would drop his gear over 150 MPH to slow his plane down. That is, if he planned to use it to land with.

I think the landing gear on Naval Aircraft is contructed with much more ruggedness in mind as landing on an aircraft carrier is more of a "controlled crash":icon_lol:

I doubt that the undercarriage of a P-51 or P-40 would be able to take the stress and damage that a F4U or F6F gear could sustain.

heywooood
April 19th, 2011, 11:56
F4u dive brakes are a partial lowering of the gear...

there are photo's in Flight Journal and Aviation History mags, among other places, where you can see the Corsairs pounding Okinawa with HVARs...their gear halfway down

SADT
April 19th, 2011, 13:18
Every video you make, I learn something new. For example, I've had the Corsair for several months, but I couldn't make the airbrake deploy. Now I know why...

This is where I surmise the Corsair has an airbrake modeled...... :rolleyes:

Does anybody have this video on their computer, and would like to share it? It would however be best if Mirage were to re-post it!

falcon409
April 19th, 2011, 22:23
. . . . .If you don't want to post it again, could you perhaps give me a D/L link, so I can permanently keep it?. . . . .:salute:

Craig,
Go to YouTube, in the search box type MirageIII2009 and all of his videos will pop up!!:salute:

SADT
April 19th, 2011, 22:37
Hi falcon,

It is not there..... I think he removed it. ------> Which is why I would like him to re-post it.......................

falcon409
April 19th, 2011, 22:59
Hi falcon,

It is not there..... I think he removed it. ------> Which is why I would like him to re-post it.......................
Yea, I noticed that. . .I sent him a PM cause it's not even on his homepage.:salute:

SADT
April 20th, 2011, 00:01
Incidentally, so have I!

stansdds
April 20th, 2011, 02:04
The F4U Corsair did, indeed, have dive brakes. The dive brake was simply the main landing gear, the tail wheel remained retracted. I don't recall if the dive brake was modeled in this particular flight sim version.

And Helldiver is right about the radios, but that ain't all. There are numerous errors with the model, both virtual cockpit and exterior. I did an in depth review (after it was released and I purchased it) and what I found broke my heart.:isadizzy:

Maybe one day there will be an accurate F4U for FSX. That's all the clue I can give at this time.

Helldiver
April 20th, 2011, 02:52
Roge Wilcor, I wasn't talking about SB2C landing gear. They were rugged. It was F4U gear I was talking about.

roger-wilco-66
April 20th, 2011, 04:10
Roge Wilcor, I wasn't talking about SB2C landing gear. They were rugged. It was F4U gear I was talking about.

SB2C?? I was quoting a british Corsair manual. I looked up the US manual and found the following, see attachment.

Later builds >= F4U-1 had higher figures. 380kts max operating the dive break (partial extension of main gear), and unlimited dive speed withing the normal aircraft restrictions for diving with the main gear fully extended and locked.

The Marines may do it though. They don't give a damn. <- LOL !!!

Cheers,
Mark

Cleartheprop
April 20th, 2011, 05:48
Hello,
I have removed this video as I got a pretty cruel comment on the A2A forum :)
I made a general presentation of the add-on as it is i.e very basic.
Its a great toy to play with but nothing compare to the latest accusim productions of A2A simulations such as the P-47 or Spitfire.
I might put the video back online as soon as I am back home. Jankees fantastic repaints are shown on the video.

A2A forum comment by mos2net (http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=20932)

Actual F4U training videos :

high speed dive procedure depicted at 3:35 of training video part 2.

5J0BYq3yevs

n-PwTTQz6Zw

heywooood
April 20th, 2011, 09:39
great videos! thanks for sharing them...

I have the AF F4u and I bought it knowing that it was a fun flier, not a study sim - A2A made that very clear in their marketing and promotion info both here in this forum and at their site.

Anyone who thought otherwise could have paid zero attention and done zero research.

I regard it as a poor reflection on them, rather than the developer.

Phantom88
April 20th, 2011, 10:42
I don't believe A2A was/is The developer of the AF F4U.They are basically the 3rd party seller.I did buy it in hopes it would be given The A2A Accu-sim treatment like their P-47 and B-17 and the New Spitfire.

The B-17 is a totally different aircraft with all the systems and engine management that Accu-sim provides.I really hope someday A2A will revisit this Iconic Warbird and give her the attention to detail she deserves.

Bomber_12th
April 20th, 2011, 11:07
With all of the resources available, t'would make a great project, incorporating all of the authentic details of an original Corsair, and getting it 'right' visually down to the last detail, including correct colors, inspection stamps and stickers, and built to blue-print standard.

Someday...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/TFLMFG1D-0037.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/502252.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/502258.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/_MG_7976.jpg

WWII-era Pacific Theatre Brewster-built bomb/depth-charge rack, with depth-charge fitted.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/_MG_9399.jpg

BIRDCAGE!!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/17995Wallis-canopydetail-viaJohnKerr.jpg

heywooood
April 20th, 2011, 11:22
I don't believe A2A was/is The developer of the AF F4U.They are basically the 3rd party seller.I did buy it in hopes it would be given The A2A Accu-sim treatment like their P-47 and B-17 and the New Spitfire.

The B-17 is a totally different aircraft with all the systems and engine management that Accu-sim provides.I really hope someday A2A will revisit this Iconic Warbird and give her the attention to detail she deserves.

removed - regretted

Phantom88
April 20th, 2011, 11:46
Bomber 12th, Fantastic pics!! What a Beauty!!!:jump:

heywooood
April 20th, 2011, 12:07
OUCH!!!! Not a response I'd be expecting from you at all my friend.heywooood,I'm not sure if you frequent The A2A forums, but they've never fully shut the door as far as giving The F4U a makeover and and adding Accusim,As far as your paying attention comment,I'll let that pass as that comment is very unlike you, I know you from here and other forums to be a stand-up guy.:salute:

This is a quote from A2A Lewis when asked in regards to a Fully Accusimmed F4U quote/

"We hope so, but I cannot say when. We have some source material already, but we require a little more that Scott will be collecting in the future."/ unquote. taken from this thread....
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=15781

Bomber 12th, Fantastic pics!! What a Beauty!!!:jump:

Yes an apology is in order - pardon my sharp rejoinder :salute:
I only remember at the time of release that Lewis remarked on the difference between A2A releases and Aircraft Factory releases being that the AF planes would be 'lite' as compared to their A2A models - and that Accusim updates to AF products was 'unlikely'

You're right - I do not frequent their forums so was going from memory and I should remember that my rememberer is getting on towards the end of its warranty...

Please excuse an old curmudgeon

Phantom88
April 20th, 2011, 12:23
It's all good Buddy!!..............."I LOVE YOU MAN".......my feeble attempt at humor from an Old Budweiser Commercial. haha!! Thanks for the apology my friend.:salute:

heywooood
April 20th, 2011, 12:38
..not a bad movie either... "I slappa da bass mon"

no worries Phantom, I have good days and bad days just like everybody else I spose

roger-wilco-66
April 20th, 2011, 23:24
Excellent images, Bomber, thanks for sharing! :salute:

An accusimmed A2A Corsair would be a blast, but I think the aircraft should be a new design from scratch. Vertigo could also do it, I guess, with a good system simulation.

Cheers,
Mark

Bomber_12th
April 21st, 2011, 07:33
I was thinking along the same lines, though by a different company (or two).

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/cors2.jpg

Note that the cockpit of this award-winning restoration is completely stock, with the addition of modern avionics in a manner that does not take away anything from the originality/authenticity of the cockpit. The avionics themselves are fitted to a 'tray' that can be removed for displaying the cockpit exactly like it was during WWII. This would be perfect to reproduce in flight-sim form for those who like to fly 'today' and those who like to think they are flying in 1944 - you can have either/or quite easily.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Bomber_12th/cors1.jpg

stansdds
April 21st, 2011, 07:57
Bomber_12th, that is a brilliant solution! You get an accurate representation of the aircraft as it was originally built, but you can also have modern radio and nav aids if you wish. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Phantom88
April 21st, 2011, 08:42
Bomber 12th "If You Build it........They WILL $Come$":jump::jump:

stansdds
April 22nd, 2011, 02:03
Currently in development for FS9, but an FSX version is planned for sometime after the FS9 version is finished.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?52594-Pendercrafts-ultimate-F4U-corsair-birdcage-model

Roger
April 22nd, 2011, 03:15
Hello,
I have removed this video as I got a pretty cruel comment on the A2A forum :)
I made a general presentation of the add-on as it is i.e very basic.
Its a great toy to play with but nothing compare to the latest accusim productions of A2A simulations such as the P-47 or Spitfire.
I might put the video back online as soon as I am back home. Jankees fantastic repaints are shown on the video.

A2A forum comment by mos2net (http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=20932)

I'd be really glad if you reloaded it! :ernae:

skyhawka4m
April 22nd, 2011, 05:59
I was thinking along the same lines, though by a different company (or two).

Hmmmmm......Bomber you have me wondering and praying!

SADT
April 23rd, 2011, 13:02
Still want to post the video Mirage? :salute: :jump:
Craig. :-)

Cleartheprop
April 23rd, 2011, 17:04
Still want to post the video Mirage? :salute: :jump:
Craig. :-)

Hi Craig, I will try to find this video in my videos archive on my computer when I am back home. (in approx 10 days)
Cheers!

Cleartheprop
May 20th, 2011, 03:27
Here is the video again :
a-3TO2mZBm4

Roger
May 20th, 2011, 04:12

OleBoy
May 20th, 2011, 04:29
I've never had any real interest in warbirds, but this one is a potential on my list. I had built one (R/C) and had it for a very short time. I crashed it in a field and it was beyond repair (to my extent) and I lost interest. If one of these was ever released for FSX, I will seriously consider purchasing it pending FDE and LOD

SADT
May 20th, 2011, 12:55
Hi Oleboy,

This is the A2A Simulations "Aircraft Factory" Vought F4U-1A-D Corsair. The Aircraft Factory range means it is of lower quality than the Wings of Power range, but its is still good value for money at $19.95 USD. I hope this does not sound like a plug... It wasnt meant to. :salute:

EDIT: Here is a link to the product in the A2A Webstore: http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=34

OleBoy
May 20th, 2011, 13:49
I didn't know Aircraft factory made an F4-U already. There you see, i don't do warbirds generally. I think I'll pass on this one and see what the future brings for something better. Maybe A2A will model one.

Roger
May 20th, 2011, 15:27
A2A is Aircraft Factory. I've never had an issue with it...especially with Jan's repaints...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/corsair-pnw-jcb-1.jpg

PRB
May 20th, 2011, 15:33
Yep. Nothing wrong with this AF Corsair.

OleBoy
May 20th, 2011, 18:12
I know A2A is Aircraft Factory. I just didn't know they did the Corsair via the Aircraft Factory name. I would rather have a nicer, more detailed model if I'm going to buy it. No sense buying, then buying another later. I'm not in a rush. I got plenty to keep me busy.

stansdds
May 21st, 2011, 03:45
I know A2A is Aircraft Factory. I just didn't know they did the Corsair via the Aircraft Factory name. I would rather have a nicer, more detailed model if I'm going to buy it. No sense buying, then buying another later. I'm not in a rush. I got plenty to keep me busy.
There is another Corsair in development. F4U-1 and F4U-1D models are planned, but patience will be required.