PDA

View Full Version : At the risk of sounding like a newbie

deimos256
February 5th, 2010, 17:44
I dont do a whole lot of night flying but tonight i noticed a faint belt going across the sky, which looked to me like the milky way, now is this actually in FSX? I have a hard time believing it was a stray cloud that went all the way across the sky.

Matt Wynn
February 5th, 2010, 18:00
yeah does FSX have the milky way? it's a beautiful thing to see from earth, if no idea i'll replicate and try to find out...

paiken
February 5th, 2010, 18:09
Milky Way is definitely in FSX. I think also many of the constellations, but I'm not 100% sure about those. There is an add-on that exactly places the stars where they belong. Try searching AVSIM, but since the library crash last year, it may no longer be there.

Stratocruiser
February 5th, 2010, 18:30
I was astonished a few years ago when I first noticed that the Milky Way was indeed in FSX. The major constellations are there, too.

Carey

thisizma
February 5th, 2010, 19:25
It's there. I'm seeing it flying from MacDILL AFB, heading north, at dusk(18:30 ET).

thisizma
February 5th, 2010, 19:36
Here's A Shot.

FAC257
February 5th, 2010, 19:55
The star program your talking about is called AutoStar.

It's still over in the Avsim library under: autostarx.zip

"File Description:
AutoStar is a program that allows new features to be added to the night sky. It adds the brighter planets in the correct position for any date. Optionally it can add comets, images or user objects such as a lunar eclipse or Messier objects. The program can import the SAO star catalogue, thus allowing the number of background stars to be significantly increased."

I've used it quite a bit since it first came out. It's nice as it places the planets and constellations in the proper places at the proper times. If you DL the lastest SAO catalogue you can dramatically increase the number of starts in the nightsky over the default FSX star field. The only trade off is a little bit of a performance hit from all the new sparkling things up there. :)

Anothe unique feature is that you can turn on a sort of planetarium mode that puts the grid lines, planetary elipitic paths and actual name plates next to each of the important might sky objects.

Matt Wynn
February 5th, 2010, 20:34
i've been using autostars for a while and love it! makes my night flights that bit better :jump: heres a shot of My P-40 sat on the end of the runway at Araxos AB... with autostars activated and a comet, thats right.... a comet...

Lewis-A2A
February 6th, 2010, 03:07
If you really wanna fly period correctly try flying one of the old birds using a sextant, its comepltly possible in fsx :ernae:

jmig
February 6th, 2010, 05:01
If you really wanna fly period correctly try flying one of the old birds using a sextant, its comepltly possible in fsx :ernae:

How would you use a sextant in FSX? Does someone have a computer sextant with all the tables build in?

Lewis-A2A
February 6th, 2010, 08:36
you can download a few jmig, i havent tested in fsx but there was a few for FS2004

wiltzei
February 6th, 2010, 10:51
Speaking of stars, could someone helpful write a tutorial for AutoStar X? Iīve tried installing it periodically, but the results havenīt been good.

And yes, Iīve tried following the tutorial/readme.