PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use AirTrafficFX 3.0 ?

Crusader
February 2nd, 2010, 06:26
From what I've read there is a newer version of this program that allows you to populate even 3rd party sceneries where as earlier version did not support this . I read this on Flight1's forum . I have MyTraffic and like the global changes it makes but would like to start making local traffic , not only on default airports but 3rd party scenery as well . I use AI Flight Planner(freeware) for FS9 and it works well . It has a FSX conversion function(FS9 traffic files to FSX type) but have never got it to work right in FSX . I understand FS9 traffic files do work in FSX but they disable FSX default or other traffic files unless they are in the specific FSX format . Just wondered if anyone was using AirTrafficFX .

Rich:icon29:

guzler
February 3rd, 2010, 06:55
AIFP works very well in FSX, I use it alot. The older versions did have some bugs such as setting up touch n goes, but the lastest work very well. It also has a function to search and convert FS9 traffic files to FSX to cure the problem, alothugh I have found that once the FSX files are created, I have to go in and delete the FS9 ones. I have set up lots of local traffic files to populate my addons such as Fly Tampa TNCM.

Check if you have the latest AIFP version (1.62 I think) and this will do all you need for you and much more.

Neil

Crusader
February 3rd, 2010, 11:55
Thanks Neil , I'll give it a try tonight . AIFP is a great tool . I checked and do have the lastest version(1.62)

Rich:guinness::guinness:

JamesChams
February 3rd, 2010, 17:04
Yes, I use it; well, the AirTrafficFX v.3.4 one ... and it works! :gameon::salute:

Hebrews 11:6 "But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." (http://www.lionheartcreations.com/Spiritual_Journey.html)

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
James F. Chams

MCDesigns
February 3rd, 2010, 18:16
Any of you care to share the secret to setting up a simple set of flightplans for a couple of aircraft with AIFP? I have tried so many times to create a couple of GA flights (TnGs) out of a couple of small airports with no luck.

Crusader
February 4th, 2010, 03:35
Any of you care to share the secret to setting up a simple set of flightplans for a couple of aircraft with AIFP? I have tried so many times to create a couple of GA flights (TnGs) out of a couple of small airports with no luck.

Michael :

I can't get it to work in FSX either. I also set up a couple simple flights and a few TNG's and nothing shows up . In the menu/toolbar on top of AIFP I have FSX checked as the default simulator . According to manual, it is suppose to automatically convert it to FSX format if I have FSX checked as default , right ? I generate the AC (FSX) list and pick one . In FSX , you are suppose to be able to place the new traffic file in any active scenery folder . There is certainly a step or two I am leaving out so maybe someone will jump in here and tell us where we doing wrong or leaving out .

Rich

guzler
February 4th, 2010, 09:13
Here goes a quick guide...
1. Select aircraft to be used by clicking on "Aircraft" then "Create Aircraft list" then clicking on the desired aircraft in the list. This searches for aircraft to use.

2. Press "Start new flight plan"

3. Add detail in as required for the flight plan. The repeat times can cause problems, but it will tell you if it isn't happy. You must return to the original airport for the loop to be repeated.

4. Click "Save Edits"

5. Click "Add flightplan to list"

6. Click "Files" then click "Compile traffic.bgl. It may select a file name if it detects one, but rename it to what ever you want as long as it starts with "Traffic". This is important as if you don't, it may over write a flightplan in your folder, you probably don't want to do that !!!!

If you put the traffic file in your Scenery\World\scenery it will be read automatically. If you put it into another folder somewhere, you must use the normal format Folder name\scenery\traffic.bgl then activate it as add on scenery.

That is a very rough description, but I hope it helps.

Neil

IanP
February 4th, 2010, 09:39
The trick with TNG flightplans is that you have to do them twice. Every flightplan, even if it starts and ends at the same place, has to consist of two legs, so if you start at, say, EGMA and want to do an hour of TnGs, you have to do a flightplan to EGMA, from EGMA, overwrite arrival time as one hour later and tick the TNG box. However you also have to then to another leg from EGMA to EGMA - I'd suggest another hour of TnGs, within the cycle period (4hrs, 8hrs, 24hrs, whatever).

I've created a zip of my A2A P-51D AIFP files if anyone wants a look at them - just drop the lot in your AIFP work folder and open the flightplans text file using the "Open TTools format" or whatever the exact name is. There are a number of TNG flight plans in there to play with.

http://www.ianpsdarkcorner.co.uk/historical/usaaf/egma/EGMA_WOP2P51D.zip

The conversion to FSX format is done at time of compilation. If you select the FSX radio button, it saves the plans in FSX format. If you select the FS9 radio button, it compiles in FS9 format. I've done both umpteen times now.

Anyway, hope they help!

Have fun. :)

Crusader
February 4th, 2010, 11:42
Thanks for the instructions . With your help I finally am getting the hang of it . I am making my own individual scenery folders after making the traffic folders . UK , Southeat Asia , States , local airports etc . Before starting up FSX I rename the new traffic files I placeed in the folders and drop the "traffic" in front of the file name , (ex: traffic_klck.DC3tng.bgl to klck.DC3tng.bgl). I noticed so far it hasn't caused any conflict with "MyTraffic" I also am running for all the global scenery . FSX doesn't require traffic in the file name like FS9 did . I had to laugh at the very first file I was successful with because somehow I messed up the arrival and departure times and ended up with 4 DC's sitting on the tarmac at Rickenbacker ANG base (KLCK):icon_lol:

Rich:ernae:

MCDesigns
February 4th, 2010, 17:40
Neal, Ian, thanks for the mini tutorial, I'll see what I can do to get it working. thanks!:ernae:

guzler
February 5th, 2010, 02:06
Neal, Ian, thanks for the mini tutorial, I'll see what I can do to get it working. thanks!:ernae:
Pleasure, I like the classic airliners, so have files set up so that St Maarten is busy with Tridents, 707's and others of that era (not accurate, but full of artisitc license !!). Still learning, but now got seperate aircraft and scenery folders outside the FSX root folder for AI classic, AI military, WOAI so that I can keep track of what is where ! I think it is part of OCD problem !!!!!!!

IanP
February 5th, 2010, 08:06
My problem right now is Mustangs. I had so many repaints installed under the P-51D folder that I was losing track of them all. I now have one WW2F P-51D folder per Fighter Group! :icon_lol:

The AI system in FSX is pretty simple, once you have got the grasp of it. Now all we need, as I keep saying, is more AI models to use with it...

Oh, and going back to the original question, I was looking at the page for AirTrafficFX yesterday and I may be wrong, but it looks worryingly to me like you have to have .flt flight plans for each sector in order to get the AI to interact with ATC? Not sure I like that idea. I don't think anyone on this thread has said that they're using it - can anyone comment?