PDA

View Full Version : Hello group, my name is Ian P...

IanP
February 1st, 2010, 11:13
...and I am a cheat. :blind:

It started out so simply. A gentle patrol, moderate difficulty, to a place called Eighteen Billion. I hadn't been there before, so followed the mission compass to Scale Plate Green, blew away some Xenon Ms, then some Xenon Ls, then got instructions to move to the next area.

Xenon Sector 347.

Hang on. That sounds bad. But it's a moderate mission, right? I and my little flotilla of light fighters can cope. Set target to the gate, set course, fly through gate. Easy. No problEEEP!

Right. That thing in front of me is not a Xenon M or L. It's killed one of my sidekicks, now it's killed another, now it's ... missed me. That was lucky. Lock target. Xenon P. Turn to face. No. Wrong one. That's a Xenon Q. With the P that I've targetted behind it. There's another P too. I'm twisting, turning, slewing... shields are almost down. Then I catch a button and a window appears. CHEAT MAIN MENU (yes, I still have the AMS mod installed, I just don't use the ships.)

There's an option there that says "take ownership", so I hit it. Obviously got the right bad guy, as the fire against me stops. Now this Xenon P and the adjacent Q are nailing each other.

"One of your ships is under attack. Xenon Sector 347."

Click button. Click Take Ownership. Now "my" P is no longer being hammered, either. One of the other (still red) Ps is, though - by both "my" P and "my" Q. The red P explodes. Then "my" P does, as the other Q picks off the last of its shields. Oi! Not having that. Click button. Click take ownership. Now I have two almost entirely intact Qs at my disposal. The game wants me to patrol deeper, however and, apart from "my" Qs, my entire fleet has been decimated and I'm seriously damaged. Well. OK. Set the Qs to protect me, eject, fix my snotty little Discoverer that I was given, hop back in. Set off towards the gate.

By the time I exited the system, I left behind me, slugging it out with their ex-cohorts, a total of eight Ps and Qs, which had become my newly commissioned "white wing".

I shouldn't have done it. I know... but it's so tempting... and there's a pirate ship just appeared on radar and... and... and... Must. Not. Press. That. Button!

Nooooooooo!

...oops. Too late. Now what the heck do I do with a "Pirate Freighter"?

Lionheart
February 1st, 2010, 12:32
LOLOLOL.....

That was a good read Ian.. Thanks for that..

Yes, the cheat buttons can be tempting in the heart of battle. I like to 'emergency hyper jump' and repair when things get way out of control. They will be following me, hoping the last burst will end me, when suddenly there is a brilliant flash of light and I am gonzo, half way across the Galaxy, repairing my ship.

When duking it out with Q ships, I have cheated and added more Hammerhead missles.. It did no good. They still kicked my ***...

Good fun though. The P's can be taken, but are pretty fast and powerful. The Q's are very fortified and fast for a Capital ship. Mike and others use a nice 'under the belly from the rear' strafing manuvere that can usually take them down...

Bill

GT182
February 1st, 2010, 15:01
Hey Ian... lesson learned. Mind your Ps and Qs. ;) :bump:

I haven't been tempted yet to use any "cheat". You never know what evil lurks in the minds of men. But da Shadow do. LOL At least it saved yer bacon. :applause:

Great read and I feel for ya. Going up against some of those "bad guys" will put you on the edge of yer seat... I know they have me. I've even claimed a couple of abandoned Ks. Not sure waht to do withthem yet but I've got them dock at an Argon Shipyard for now. They're not fast so I don't really want them. I am afraid tho if I sell them the "bad guys" might get them back. Maybe I'll hang on to them, and send them out to patrol a sector to keep the inhabitants safe and sound. Sounds good if it'll work.

Zommoz
February 2nd, 2010, 07:26
I like to 'emergency hyper jump' and repair when things get way out of control. Bill

I do this as well, but once with my shields already gone and the hull chipped into, I jumped into a Xenon sector and got finished off! Surrounded and pounded to dust the second I jumped in... how's that for luck?

...and with capped ships I don't really want or need, the Headquarters provided with the AMS mod comes in handy as I can recycle them or reverse engineer the plans.

GT182
February 3rd, 2010, 04:40
Z, the ones you don't really want and won't use, sell them at a Shipyard. Some are worth a lot of credits that you can use for something else.

I've been claiming ships that I'll sell too if I'm not going to use them. I believe you can also set your ships up to protect your HQ and your home sector. I just claimed an abandonded Xenon P that I'll outfit and keeps as a Home Guard near my HQ or a jump gate. 3 more and the other Argone gates will have one too.

IanP
February 3rd, 2010, 13:15
Ooops.

I am now accidentally (and I mean accidentally) the owner of a Solar Power Plant. It's not even in the same system I was flying in when I discovered that I owned it. Dunno how I did that, but the cheat menu will have been involved somewhere.

...I just wish I wasn't so tempted to take over an entire system and see what happens, now. Xenon Sector 347 seems kind of appropriate. :engel016:

Matt Wynn
February 5th, 2010, 04:42
the 'Ian Sector' :icon_lol: yeah for a nice challenge you try manouvering a carrier during a fight, honestly no matter how much room you're given, and pre-rudder/thruster upgrades you will hit something if it's just a small bunch of small (fighter type) craft full speed straight at them, they's just like insects on your windscreen.... :icon_lol: that cheat menu is a bit of fun, i did the same, loaded my save had a look at the Argon One cruising past me decided to try and annoy it's captain, i failed... strange for me to fail at being an annoyance :icon_lol: anyways 15 minutes later after i had jumped halfway across the map... i learnt that i had become the new owner of Argon One.... "how in the flying F*** did that happen?" was my first thought followed by "wonder what she's like in combat..."