PDA

View Full Version : cleaning out fsx

Daveroo
February 1st, 2010, 07:32
if i clean out FSX,meaning remove the planes i dont use,care for so much..it takes for ever to load up...do i need to remove gauges and effects to speed things up? or will removing planes from the simobject- airplanes folder do it?

scottmm73
February 1st, 2010, 07:37
From Jack Sparrow over at the FSE forums:

This information was found by one of the Westair pilots, Jaje, and was copied from the ORBX Forums. Credit for the info goes to ORBX Developer "ggeccles"
The issue of unwanted default aircraft in the Aircraft selection panel has been raised again so I thought it appropriate to now revisit this topic.

These procedures are for those of you who want to limit the number of aircraft you see in your Free Flight/ Select Aircraft screen.

While many of the FSX default aircraft are considered too basic or simplistic to fly, they are essential to the workings of some of the other areas of the FSX system. If you move the unwanted aircraft to a separate "hangar" folder or delete them altogether, then there will be a number of other consequences you need to be aware of:
- Those aircraft will not be seen as AI aircraft at any airports including any of the FTX airports.
- Missions using those aircraft will not work.
- AI aircraft including those in the FTX AI Traffic pack will have no sounds as they are all mapped to the default aircraft.

Essentially FSX will deem that any aircraft with a Panel folder containing a Panel config file is a flyable aircraft and will include it in the Free Flight/ Select Aircraft screen. Turning the Panel to "OFF" either in the Aircraft folder or the Aircraft config file will take the aircraft out of the selection menu (ie. make it unavailable as a user aircraft) but leave it in place for use by the FSX system. ie. As an AI aircraft.

The actions required to do this are as follows:
- To remove the aircraft altogether - In the particular Aircraft folder, rename the folder Panel to Panel_OFF. The effect is the same with any new name but I find just adding the ‘_OFF’ as the simplest as this makes it easy to reverse at a later time if I wish.
- To remove only selected aircraft variations from a particular aircraft type - Within the Aircraft config file, change the line Panel= to Panel=OFF for each variation you want to remove. There is no need to renumber the various [fltsim.x] numbers as FSX sorts this out for you.

This practice is also handy for non default aircraft. If you have a number of liveries for say, your Carenado C182, you can use the second option above to conceal all but your selected skin for the current week or month. When you wish to change to another variation, just update the aircraft config file as appropriate.

Killbilly
February 1st, 2010, 08:25
Nice! I never thought of doing that. I've just been using the "//" in front of each airplane in the .cfg and renumbering. This is much simpler. Thanks for posting that! :ernae:

BASys
February 1st, 2010, 08:54
Hi Folks

..it takes for ever to load up
Daveroo -
There may be an additional issue involved here.

Even though you're just accessing the menu,
default FSX will preload your default flight,
both on initially launching FSX,
and whenever you end a flight.

To disable preloading,
edit your fsx.CFG, (in NotePad),
find the section titled [Main]
add the line - DisablePreload=1

HTH
ATB
Paul

Daveroo
February 2nd, 2010, 10:46
i dont seem to have a fsx.CFg file..must be hidden...how do i turn on hidden files/folders in vista32? and how do i find this .CFG?....im sorry if this seems simple to yall..but ive been ill for more than 6 months and may have to go in to the horsepital soon for treatment..im not thinking right..need some help....i had surgery ( was to be a minor 45 minute outpatient surgery) that turned into a 6 hour ordeals drs words...i now have MRSA in the open wound beds and its gotten painfull as the blood vessels have returned along with nerve endings.....blah...felt like sharing...LOL

harleyman
February 2nd, 2010, 19:20
i dont seem to have a fsx.CFg file..must be hidden...how do i turn on hidden files/folders in vista32? and how do i find this .CFG?....im sorry if this seems simple to yall..but ive been ill for more than 6 months and may have to go in to the horsepital soon for treatment..im not thinking right..need some help....i had surgery ( was to be a minor 45 minute outpatient surgery) that turned into a 6 hour ordeals drs words...i now have MRSA in the open wound beds and its gotten painfull as the blood vessels have returned along with nerve endings.....blah...felt like sharing...LOL

WOW... I hope that you are doing better now daveroo....

jmig
February 3rd, 2010, 03:31

Ouch! Sorry to heat that. I do hope you get well soon.

Your fsx.cfg file will be found in a different folder. Depending on the OS it is slightly different. I forget the entire folder structure but, it is under USER/your name/..... I am sure someone here with access to it will post the entire listing.